Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
JamesJr Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Noticed buzzards circling a woods on the farm yesterday, so I checked it out. Found one of the bucks dead that I'd been watching. I'm guessing some bow hunter on a adjacent property shot him, by the two holes that were in it. If I'd shot a buck like this, I'd sure as heck tried to find it, and would have been knocking on doors asking to look for it. I'm thinking that some of the local poachers may have been at work.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I hope this one is still around come November 12.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Broadhead "holes " or entrance and exit bullet hole. If broadhead holes I'm betting there's a sick bowhunter somewhere.
If its archery season only and it's two bullet holes, then there's' an effing poacher around that needs to be caught and dealt with.
I despise a poacher.

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
That really sucks

Nice buck
Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Damn, that's a shame. Real nice Buck there. Interested in more info on the entry and exit holes. Where on the body are they located?

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jc189
Damn, that's a shame. Real nice Buck there. Interested in more info on the entry and exit holes. Where on the body are they located?

I'm pretty sure it was arrow, and it was definately a lung shot. Complete pass through. I know that deer can travel a distance before expiring, but I'm thinking that this deer should have not gone that far.

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by JamesJr

I'm pretty sure it was arrow, and it was definately a lung shot. Complete pass through. I know that deer can travel a distance before expiring, but I'm thinking that this deer should have not gone that far.

That's strange. You are correct. If someone put an arrow through that Bucks lungs, He shouldn't have gone more than 100yds. Still sucks that you found him dead on your property. Was he close to the property line?

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger

That's strange. You are correct. If someone put an arrow through that Bucks lungs, He shouldn't have gone more than 100yds. Still sucks that you found him dead on your property. Was he close to the property line?

250 yards. I know that the property next to that part of the farm is hunted, but it is usually 4-500 yards away. If you will look at the pick of the deer that shows a head on view, and look under the left side G2, you'll see one of the holes. I'm wondering if maybe someone shot the deer on me, and it wouldn't be the first time it's happened.

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
I would be asking around my neighbors. I bet you can find out who shot it and make their day. If I was bow hunting and couldn’t find it I would be asking around myself. Someone is looking for it.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
That is a damn shame

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Where is the picture of the holes? Looks pretty clean and fresh to me.

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Yes, I see the hole just behind the G2 thats a good lung shot. Depending on the angle of the shot, It should have got both of them. I have had a Buck go 250yds after a quartering away shot where I only got 1 lung. Anything is possible I guess.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'd hate to see that anywhere, but seeing it on my property would be about the worst.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
That’s a bum deal, whatever happened or transpired.

I found a dead caribou bull a month or so ago that had been lung shot. It was out in the wide open and I highly doubt it was ‘lost’. I am sure it was an absolute sh:tshow of UTV hunters blasting into a herd. Found one last year too. Happens a lot with the 40 Mile herd.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Damn shame. The absence of blood in and around the buck’s nose makes me question if it was a lung shot. I can’t recall ever seeing one that looked that clean in the nose/mouth area after they had been lung shot. Even after short runs of 40-80 yards, they usually end up with a snoot full of blood. Just my personal experience though, and just like cards, every deal is different. I hope for your hunting sake that it just was an unlucky(or possibly careless) hunter and not a poacher! Sucks either way though. 😡

Doc_Holidude

Livin ain’t killed me yet, but it’s workin on it!
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
A legal person would be looking for that deer. Blood trail?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’d think it would be pretty easy to negate a bow hunter, instead of blaming one, just by looking at the damage. Looks more like a 22 or something shot with a fmj.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Oklahomahunter
I’d think it would be pretty easy to negate a bow hunter, instead of blaming one, just by looking at the damage. Looks more like a 22 or something shot with a fmj.

Yep. Most likely a Poacher. Damn shame. Nice buck.
I hate fuggin poachers almost as much as I hate DemoRats. 😡

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Did you find a blood trail that you could work backwards and at least get an idea of the direction of the spot where he was shot?

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger

The holes were way too big to have been made by anything other than an arrow. I've seen enough bow killed deer to know the difference.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

The holes were way too big to have been made by anything other than an arrow. I've seen enough bow killed deer to know the difference.

Poacher with a Crossbow???

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

670 members (16penny, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 77 invisible), 2,959 guests, and 1,380 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,478
Posts18,471,737
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.