Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thanks 10M. The way I read their instructions, they seemed to be saying that a lot of guys spent too much time dialing to qualify in 3 minutes?

I'm thinking if you're zeroed at 200 the holdover at 300 is only a few inches so if you know the target diameter, it should be fairly straightforward.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by smokepole
I'm thinking if you're zeroed at 200 the holdover at 300 is only a few inches so if you know the target diameter, it should be fairly straightforward.

If you zero at 250 you may not have to adjust your hold. My .308 is a little slow, but my .270 and .30-06 both have right at 6" verticle change between 200 & 300 yard when zeroed at 250 yards.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
I put my name in and got drawn. I shoot next week. The qualification is six shots total, 3 at 200 yards, and 3 at 300 yards. Have to hit all six shots within three minutes to qualify. For the 200 yard shot, position is kneeling or standing. For the 300 yard shot kneeling, standing, or prone. Target is about 12" diameter. The really weird thing is, you are not allowed to adjust your scope. I paraphrase because it takes too much time and it's not realistic in the field. There's a metal post shooters can use for extra support for either range. You have to bring your own pack or bipod for prone. The email said most shooters don't qualify. Theoretically this should be doable for any seasoned hunter/shooter. I wonder if there's something else that comes in play.

There's a video out there of a CPW officer shooting the course clean. He uses a suppressed, PRS type rifle that has zero recoil. 6.5Needmore at most. The thing looks like it weighs 11lbs. And shooters can't adjust the scope because it takes too much time and doesn't mimic shots in the field. Um, ok PRS rifle dude, who carries an 11lb rifle in the field?

Congrats on being drawn, and thanks for the info. Are you allowed to substitute sitting for kneeling? I’d much rather shoot sitting than kneeling. More surface area/mass making contact with the ground.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have no idea if you can sit. And I agree. It's a much more stable position to shoot from. That's what's weird about all this. The rules are not really practical, but oh-well. I signed up for it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you can't keep it in 12" at 300, you'd better put it away and take up golf. You have no business shooting at a live animal.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
If you can't keep it in 12" at 300, you'd better put it away and take up golf. You have no business shooting at a live animal.

That would depend on how and where you hunt. I grew up back east hunting whitetails in the Eastern hardwoods. First with a shotgun because rifles aren't allowed in many coastal counties of VA.

Then with a 30-30 in the western counties.I had no idea what the POI was at 300 but it didn't matter because I never got a shot over 100. Killed plenty of deer.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Two targets 200 yards and 300 yards if your have to dial to hit them I don’t know what to think.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Some interesting comments here. Range is irrelevant as long as a hunter stays within their skill level. I've hand gun hunted, that doesn't mean I should be able to hit a 300 yard target with a 10mm pistol to say I'm worthy. And as Smoke says, really depends on where you hunt. Like Smoke I grew upon in the midwest. I don't think I ever shot a deer farther than 125 yards for the first 20 years of my hunting life. If CPW thinks shots will be taken at 300 yards at this location, by all means, then test for that skill level.

Holding or dialing isn't the point for me. It's the point that CPW thinks there's insufficient time. Their rules contradict themselves. You have three minutes to make six shots. If you can't dial in that time frame you don't qualify. Period. What difference does it make if someone takes two seconds to dial and still makes all their shots in three minutes? That's no different than someone not dialing and making all their shots in three minutes.

Same with kneeling. If they are promoting, and should be, ethical hunting and target skills, sitting is a better choice than kneeling. If you watch the example video there's a metal post that can be used as support for either target shot. If they are testing for real skills, why allow the metal post? Is there a metal post in the woods for us to use too? Just weird. Maybe it's supposed to mimic using a tree for support???

Personally, I signed up knowing these rules, I'll play the game. It's an odd game, but I signed up for it.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
What do you guys think of the official kneeling position?
I think it’s a crock myself. I can shoot better from the sitting position.

Sorry, I don’t know how to imbed a video, and I’m using my phone, which makes less likely….

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Looks like miracles do occur…..

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Yup.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I could do it 40 years ago with a M-16A1. I aint as limber as I once was but, with the aide of the post, the kneeling at 200 shouldn't be a problem. 300 prone would be a piece of cake. .30-06 180 grain spitzer @ 2700 fps, zeroed at 200, 9" low at 300 yards.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Yup.

But it was rather entertaining watching round boy try to bend over and get into that cockamamie position……

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by mag410
I could do it 40 years ago with a M-16A1. I aint as limber as I once was but, with the aide of the post, the kneeling at 200 shouldn't be a problem.

Should be but that kneeling technique on the video with the left knee down is "unorthodox." I'd call it the "kneeling when you've got a post to lean on" technique.

Good thing they put the video out and you can practice like that.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Do you have to qualify with the same rifle caliber you are going to hunt with?

Bet more people could qualify with a 22.250 or 243 or 6mm....then if you win a tag, take what you desire.

I can easily hit targets that far, as I shoot a lot at those distances... but kneeling and then prone....kneeling probably still...

prone, my neck doesn't have the range of motion to lift my neck that far back to see that high laying on my chest.
I was born with 60% of what the average range of motion is for most people... yet doctor will also tell ya, it would take a gorilla to break my neck.
my neck bones are much larger than normal....that part of me is a factory reject...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
His technique is sound using the post like that. Strongside elbow ain't flopping in the wind like normal 'kneeling'.....

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I was also surprised he was able to get up from prone, without help....

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by huntsman22
His technique is sound using the post like that. Strongside elbow ain't flopping in the wind like normal 'kneeling'.....

Yeah, but probably not a lot of posts out there.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Same technique is best with shooting sticks, which he set aside instead of using.....

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I was kind of wondering about him not using the sticks. Using sticks with the post seems like it would be rock solid. Maybe too much going on up front with the bipod mounted.

I noticed with the bipod he didn't use a rear bag.

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

470 members (19rabbit52, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 160user, 48 invisible), 2,284 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,506
Posts18,472,295
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.