Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
There used to be a commercial herring fishery on Lake Superior. I was on the lake that night—tied up at Caribou Cove on North side of St Ignace. 11 ton of herring on board and 2 100 lb anchors down off the stern and bow tied up to shore. We sat up all night listening to the radio chatter.

The Captain reported a line down—which would indicate her back was roached —we thought maybe she pulled in too close to Caribou shoal—hit bottom and broke her back. I could see other explanations as well. McSorly was known as good captain who could keep to a schedule.

That remains the storm by which all others are judged.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One of the worst songs ever.

Gordon Lightfoot knows how to sing though.

The cow is where you are, the bull is where you want to be.

No one gets something for nothing unless someone else got nothing for something.
N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
Captain Cooper on what he thinks sent the Fitz to the bottom.

"Their minds are dead" - Carmine Ricca
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by bruinruin
As someone who has spent time on Lakes Huron, Michigan and Superior in some very shiddy conditions, I have huge respect for the Great Lakes. I had my boat out on Lake Michigan a handful of times this summer and it's always a mixture of exhilaration, awe and fear.
Been out crossing the shipping lanes of Lake Michigan in heavy sea smoke chasing early summer steelhead on the scumline a few times. Then you hear the five horn blast from a freighter. I knew we were good, had radar on my boat.
Then there was the time when a BUFF jammed my radar while doing a low level approach on us. Good times!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 79S
No one gives a chit… ph uck this is posted 3-4 times year PH UCK!!!!

Nugget apologizes in advance

Well, you don't have to follow it you know.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Enjoyed that, Aqualung. The man is funny.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I was 13. 10 November is my birthday.
I remember Walter Cronkite reporting it.
Then Gordon Lightfoot came out with the damn song they played to death.
Seems like a lifetime ago. The 70's were fun.

Don't fire unless fired upon. But if they want a war let it begin here.

Captain John Parker, commander of the militiamen at Lexington, Massachusetts, on sighting British Troops (attributed), April 19, 1775
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Nollij
Captain Cooper on what he thinks sent the Fitz to the bottom.

That was GREAT. Thanks for posting.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Morewood
Enjoyed that, Aqualung. The man is funny.

You caught me...lol

I pulled the post because I didn't want to trivialize the event if anyone knew the men on board.

Aqualung

"Bambi's Good Eatin'!"
- Me

"...Somewhere, there are Brownings in a two-hand hold,
Cocked and locked, one up the spout..."
- Jethro Tull
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
We had 20 footers on the lake last week in that blow. When the wind comes down the full fetch, things get nautical real fast with big waves, tip to trough, in quick succession.

That night in November '75 we lost a surfer here and almost lost another if it weren't for the lifesaving skills of one of their compadres. I had been duck hunting with my grandpa earlier that day and as I remember, we did well.

The theory about the hatch covers and the rogue wave has been around a while. Certainly plausible. As kids in the UP, we used to pick up the taconite pebbles on the railroad tracks from the rr cars going to the docks. They were heavy. I never realized they could hold water. No wonder the Fitz was listing and sitting so low. Godspeed to the 29.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Was working in the Detroit area when it went down, was well covered on all the local TV stations.
Been to Whitefish Point a number of times, once in November, sitting on the shore looking out over Lake Superior on a cold windy Nov. day, knowing that about 15 miles out there is the wreck.
Love the song.

"The older I get, the better I was"
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My ex father in law was a crewman on the Fitzgerald. He got off before that trip because his wife was having his 3rd baby. I never knew that until the last time I saw him, a few days before he died. Even had pictures.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
As someone who has spent time on Lakes Huron, Michigan and Superior in some very shiddy conditions, I have huge respect for the Great Lakes. I had my boat out on Lake Michigan a handful of times this summer and it's always a mixture of exhilaration, awe and fear.
Been out crossing the shipping lanes of Lake Michigan in heavy sea smoke chasing early summer steelhead on the scumline a few times. Then you hear the five horn blast from a freighter. I knew we were good, had radar on my boat.
Then there was the time when a BUFF jammed my radar while doing a low level approach on us. Good times!
If it was from 1980 to 1984 it might have been me. Our Low Level “ Bayshore” Route entered NE WI westbound for a while then due north over N. WI & the UP. Coast out Northbound over Lake Superior turning SE just prior to the shipping lane. Turning Southbound sometime after Whitefish Pt over the Eastern UP & into Lake Michigan. Entered a “ Racetrack” bombing pattern off the East Side of Beaver Island where we would conduct multiple simulated electronically scored bomb runs & cruise / sram missile launches. Bayshore, MI radar tracking station would track and score us. Many times we flew just a few hundred feet and sometimes less over the UP & Lake Superior. I know we scared the crap out of a few boats from time to time

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by GAGoober
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
If it was from 1980 to 1984 it might have been me. Our Low Level “ Bayshore” Route entered NE WI westbound for a while then due north over N. WI & the UP. Coast out Northbound over Lake Superior turning SE just prior to the shipping lane. Turning Southbound sometime after Whitefish Pt over the Eastern UP & into Lake Michigan. Entered a “ Racetrack” bombing pattern off the East Side of Beaver Island where we would conduct multiple simulated electronically scored bomb runs & cruise / sram missile launches. Bayshore, MI radar tracking station would track and score us. Many times we flew just a few hundred feet and sometimes less over the UP & Lake Superior. I know we scared the crap out of a few boats from time to time
👍
This would have been post '97 when I installed the radar on my boat. My son and I went out of Manistee early in the morning. There was heavy sea smoke (fog) when we left the harbor so the radar was on. We went out about 14 miles and set up our troll. After a couple of hours the fog disappeared but I left the radar on. I noticed the radar spoking, looked around and there was no other boats in sight. We were busy landing fish when the kid yelled at me "dad, look up". There was a B-52 heading directly at us (eastbound) at less than 1000' altitude. He turned to head north when he was a couple of miles short of us.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
👍My Brother has a place on Bear Lake. Fished out of Manistee, Pier Port & Frankfurt a few times Beautiful water.

Last edited by GAGoober; 11/09/22.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not to hijack: Used to camp and fish near Wurtsmith AFB in Oscoda back in '60s and '70s during 'Nam. Lot's of night time touch and goes in full AB that lit up the sky!

Great Lakes can go from placid to washing machine seemingly in minutes. Never would go offshore in our small boat because of it.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
GA Goober wondering if you were flying out of KI Sawyer

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by 79S
No one gives a chit… ph uck this is posted 3-4 times year PH UCK!!!!

Nugget apologizes in advance

I don't see the problem. If you're too dumb to not watch....

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What a stoopid fugking thread

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by hatari
Not to hijack: Used to camp and fish near Wurtsmith AFB in Oscoda back in '60s and '70s during 'Nam. Lot's of night time touch and goes in full AB that lit up the sky!

Great Lakes can go from placid to washing machine seemingly in minutes. Never would go offshore in our small boat because of it.
I was stationed at Wurtsmith from '73 to June of '75 and then '78 to '79. Was stationed in the U.K. when the Fitzgerald went down, mom sent me a news article about the sinking.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (10ring1, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 47 invisible), 2,769 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,631
Posts18,474,261
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.