Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I’ve had part of large boat fishing the north shore these Covid years. Pop up storms are a bother for sure but when that wind swings the wrong way with force time to beat oars to shore.
Ive not been caught out but I’ve been out the break lines to watch the water come in. Amazing how big that lake can get.
As big as the lake is it’s hard to believe the water temperature swings, the wind moves massive temp currents around.

RIP to all who have gone down on that lake, there have been a bunch.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Originally Posted by hatari
Not to hijack: Used to camp and fish near Wurtsmith AFB in Oscoda back in '60s and '70s during 'Nam. Lot's of night time touch and goes in full AB that lit up the sky!

Great Lakes can go from placid to washing machine seemingly in minutes. Never would go offshore in our small boat because of it.
I was stationed at Wurtsmith from '73 to June of '75 and then '78 to '79. Was stationed in the U.K. when the Fitzgerald went down, mom sent me a news article about the sinking.

What was flying out of there in those days? B-52s or F-111? Was a bomber base as I recall.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My Grandfather was a commercial fisherman on the north shore of Lake Superior. He built a rail system to pull the boats up a small stream. I spent a lot of time up there as a kid hunting and fishing.

Life is good live it while you can.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by GAGoober
Originally Posted by bluffview
GA Goober wondering if you were flying out of KI Sawyer
No. Grand Forks. Would shoot a lot of touch & goes at KI,

Cool.

I went to school at NMU and knew when they were doing touch and goes. Don't know how many of you guys were in the air or how far apart you were but many days of seeing B-52s lining up their approach over the lake in Marquette on their way to Gwinn.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Quak
I’m a northerner and have seen first hand what Superior, Michigan, and Huron can do. I have family and friends in the commercial fisheries and on the boats.

For my money…Lk St. Clair is far and away the most treacherous. [bleep] that lake

I have sailed on every body of water on this Earth for over 60 years....some of the fastest building storms are on Lk. St. Clair....I have lost more friends the Lk. St. Clair than any other body of water....this summer a neighbor in a fast building early summer storm just move on the Lake the summer before and didn't know or understand how powerful the Lake can be......

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Not to hijack: Used to camp and fish near Wurtsmith AFB in Oscoda back in '60s and '70s during 'Nam. Lot's of night time touch and goes in full AB that lit up the sky!

Great Lakes can go from placid to washing machine seemingly in minutes. Never would go offshore in our small boat because of it.
I was stationed at Wurtsmith from '73 to June of '75 and then '78 to '79. Was stationed in the U.K. when the Fitzgerald went down, mom sent me a news article about the sinking.

What was flying out of there in those days? B-52s or F-111? Was a bomber base as I recall.
When I arrived on base Wurtsmith had the B-52H and KC-135s. They had an ADC Detachment that flew the F-106 (most likely the planes you saw with afterburners) that was deactivated a week before I arrived.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
First, in an attempt to stay with the thread, thanks to all with the personal experiences discussed herein. I, for one, learned a lot.

Second, my joining the thread drift:

There appear to be two major themes running through members' utilization of these forums. There are many more minor ones; but, these seem to be the major two.

1) Always an interesting topic. I think I'll open the thread and see what those in the know and with personal experiences have to say.

Or

2) Hey, look, a thread in which I have no interest at all. I think I'll open it and let everybody know that I have no interest and therefore it sucks and I'll go crap all over it.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I've always thought the wreck was interesting. Thanks for stories about the lakes.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Teal
Well - today's the day they left Superior WI about 47 years and 90 minutes ago.

I live on the lakes but never sailed on them.

Family friends have, uncle worked in the shipyards a little on them. I'm about 35 miles from Sturgeon Bay where a lot of them lay up for winter and get repairs. I've seen the Anderson here in port and I used to work with a guy whose dad was on a ship out there looking for her that night.

Because people always ask - I don't buy the shoaling theory, I'm a 3 sister's believer.
A local artist made this drawing of the Fitz. Here she is meeting the Anderson and both are about to begin the journey down before the lake starts screaming.
The Fitz was this close to the Anderson when the latter left Two Harbors. I track the Anderson and try to catch it passing whenever I can.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem
Well - today's the day they left Superior WI about 47 years and 90 minutes ago.

I live on the lakes but never sailed on them.

Family friends have, uncle worked in the shipyards a little on them. I'm about 35 miles from Sturgeon Bay where a lot of them lay up for winter and get repairs. I've seen the Anderson here in port and I used to work with a guy whose dad was on a ship out there looking for her that night.

Because people always ask - I don't buy the shoaling theory, I'm a 3 sister's believer.
A local artist made this drawing of the Fitz. Here she is meeting the Anderson and both are about to begin the journey down before the lake starts screaming.
The Fitz was this close to the Anderson when the latter left Two Harbors. I track the Anderson and try to catch it passing whenever I can.

She's entering Detroit right now

Me

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
First, in an attempt to stay with the thread, thanks to all with the personal experiences discussed herein. I, for one, learned a lot.

Second, my joining the thread drift:

There appear to be two major themes running through members' utilization of these forums. There are many more minor ones; but, these seem to be the major two.

1) Always an interesting topic. I think I'll open the thread and see what those in the know and with personal experiences have to say.

Or

2) Hey, look, a thread in which I have no interest at all. I think I'll open it and let everybody know that I have no interest and therefore it sucks and I'll go crap all over it.

Well said, Big Sky.
I have been thinking along the same lines.
If a topic is of no interest to you, just move on.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by scrooster
It's always been catchy I guess, to some degree, but only-to cucks, drunks, homosexuals and druggies.

Too many options, man, I can’t figure out which one I am. I really like the song.

If I had to pick just one, I’d go with drunk.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll be at the Split Rock lighthouse tonight for the ceremonial lighting.

Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
30,000 mariners' have lost their lives on the Great Lakes...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by coyotewacker
I’m a northerner and have seen first hand what Superior, Michigan, and Huron can do. I have family and friends in the commercial fisheries and on the boats.

For my money…Lk St. Clair is far and away the most treacherous. [bleep] that lake

I have sailed on every body of water on this Earth for over 60 years....some of the fastest building storms are on Lk. St. Clair....I have lost more friends the Lk. St. Clair than any other body of water....this summer a neighbor in a fast building early summer storm just move on the Lake the summer before and didn't know or understand how powerful the Lake can be......

Heard more than a few people say that about Lake St Clair this year ... we were up there the week of October 21st again this year. There were still boats in the water, it was warm. Weird weather up there for that/this time of the year. Everyone was saying the lake was due-to take some boats this year. We spent time in Charlevoix too .... I like that lake.

Listen, I get the Edmund Fitzgerald fascination. I actually owned the album in college and was called a geek for it ... but everyone wanted to smoke weed, get stoned, and listen to that album back then when we all thought we were going-to live forever. As time has passed I came to learn that there have been tens of 1000s of souls lost on those lakes and for equally as tragic and mysterious reasons. Over 30k lost in ships gone down and 1000s and 1000s more simply drowned while recreational swimming. Hell, we were told that these past couple two or three years Lake Michigan alone has had record numbers of drownings.

There was the Great Storm of 1913 ... drowned hundreds in downed boats and ships within a couple of days. There is the infamous but little known Great Lakes Triangle where, inside its border, hundreds of ships have mysteriously gone down.

So thread drift what it is ... we do this same old same old Fitz thread every year .... because of a song and because the Fitz was the biggest of them. It never changes. So I wonder why anyone would bitch or moan or complain when, for once, we take a moment to learn a little bit more about THE 30,000+ OTHER sailors who have lost their lives on those lakes .... not just Gitche Gumee.

Sheeesh, the way we pigeon hole ourselves sometimes when there are so many oppotunities to expand our horizons within the scope of a particular beat-to-death topic.

BTW, fwiw, in terms of shipwrecks, Gitche Gumee, while being the largest, ranks fourth .... that's right, fourth fewest shipwrecks outta four great lakes. Few know that and ever fewer ask why because they're too busy paying yearly hommage to the Fitz ... because of a song.

Anyways, whatever. I love the country up there and those lakes ... and I'm a southern boy to the bone but, those lakes and that country are absolutely fascinating. I wish more people would take the time to learn about them.

What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.
In a nation where anything goes ... eventually, everything will. We're almost there.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Heard more than a few people say that about Lake St Clair this year ... we were up there the week of October 21st again this year. There were still boats in the water, it was warm. Weird weather up there for that/this time of the year. Everyone was saying the lake was due-to take some boats this year. We spent time in Charlevoix too .... I like that lake.

Listen, I get the Edmund Fitzgerald fascination. I actually owned the album in college and was called a geek for it ... but everyone wanted to smoke weed, get stoned, and listen to that album back then when we all thought we were going-to live forever. As time has passed I came to learn that there have been tens of 1000s of souls lost on those lakes and for equally as tragic and mysterious reasons. Over 30k lost in ships gone down and 1000s and 1000s more simply drowned while recreational swimming. Hell, we were told that these past couple two or three years Lake Michigan alone has had record numbers of drownings.

There was the Great Storm of 1913 ... drowned hundreds in downed boats and ships within a couple of days. There is the infamous but little known Great Lakes Triangle where, inside its border, hundreds of ships have mysteriously gone down.

So thread drift what it is ... we do this same old same old Fitz thread every year .... because of a song and because the Fitz was the biggest of them. It never changes. So I wonder why anyone would bitch or moan or complain when, for once, we take a moment to learn a little bit more about THE 30,000+ OTHER sailors who have lost their lives on those lakes .... not just Gitche Gumee.

Sheeesh, the way we pigeon hole ourselves sometimes when there are so many oppotunities to expand our horizons within the scope of a particular beat-to-death topic.

BTW, fwiw, in terms of shipwrecks, Gitche Gumee, while being the largest, ranks fourth .... that's right, fourth fewest shipwrecks outta four great lakes. Few know that and ever fewer ask why because they're too busy paying yearly hommage to the Fitz ... because of a song.

Anyways, whatever. I love the country up there and those lakes ... and I'm a southern boy to the bone but, those lakes and that country are absolutely fascinating. I wish more people would take the time to learn about them.

The Fitz get's play because it was 75 and by then you'd think that a modern steel ship just couldn't sink on a lake. The song is why people talk about it now but why was the song written?

I get it - there are a ton more interesting shipwrecks to talk about but most people aren't just that well versed on the Bradley, The Eastland or The Elgin. Hell the Morell's aft section steaming along after splitting in two is crazy but most don't know about it unless you're a boat nerd. Most aren't boat nerds.

Me

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

The Fitz get's play because it was 75 and by then you'd think that a modern steel ship just couldn't sink on a lake. The song is why people talk about it now but why was the song written?

I get it - there are a ton more interesting shipwrecks to talk about but most people aren't just that well versed on the Bradley, The Eastland or The Elgin. Hell the Morell's aft section steaming along after splitting in two is crazy but most don't know about it unless you're a boat nerd. Most aren't boat nerds.

Touché Teal. Well-stated.

Great book about the Daniel J Morrell .... perhaps the most bizarre incident in the history of the Great Lakes imho.

[Linked Image from 40wie62w1d6k1vfddp82bofe-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com]

The Bizarre Story of sister ship, the SS Daniel J Morrell, et al

What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.
In a nation where anything goes ... eventually, everything will. We're almost there.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for posting, Wabigoon.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Well, without the song, few would be aware of ANY maritime catastrophes of yesteryear, so I reckon we should be grateful for the song, no?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1234, 12344mag, 58 invisible), 2,300 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,393
Posts18,488,781
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.