C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by scrooster
Originally Posted by coyotewacker
Originally Posted by Quak
I’m a northerner and have seen first hand what Superior, Michigan, and Huron can do. I have family and friends in the commercial fisheries and on the boats.

For my money…Lk St. Clair is far and away the most treacherous. [bleep] that lake

I have sailed on every body of water on this Earth for over 60 years....some of the fastest building storms are on Lk. St. Clair....I have lost more friends the Lk. St. Clair than any other body of water....this summer a neighbor in a fast building early summer storm just move on the Lake the summer before and didn't know or understand how powerful the Lake can be......

Heard more than a few people say that about Lake St Clair this year ... we were up there the week of October 21st again this year. There were still boats in the water, it was warm. Weird weather up there for that/this time of the year. Everyone was saying the lake was due-to take some boats this year. We spent time in Charlevoix too .... I like that lake.

Listen, I get the Edmund Fitzgerald fascination. I actually owned the album in college and was called a geek for it ... but everyone wanted to smoke weed, get stoned, and listen to that album back then when we all thought we were going-to live forever. As time has passed I came to learn that there have been tens of 1000s of souls lost on those lakes and for equally as tragic and mysterious reasons. Over 30k lost in ships gone down and 1000s and 1000s more simply drowned while recreational swimming. Hell, we were told that these past couple two or three years Lake Michigan alone has had record numbers of drownings.

There was the Great Storm of 1913 ... drowned hundreds in downed boats and ships within a couple of days. There is the infamous but little known Great Lakes Triangle where, inside its border, hundreds of ships have mysteriously gone down.

So thread drift what it is ... we do this same old same old Fitz thread every year .... because of a song and because the Fitz was the biggest of them. It never changes. So I wonder why anyone would bitch or moan or complain when, for once, we take a moment to learn a little bit more about THE 30,000+ OTHER sailors who have lost their lives on those lakes .... not just Gitche Gumee.

Sheeesh, the way we pigeon hole ourselves sometimes when there are so many oppotunities to expand our horizons within the scope of a particular beat-to-death topic.

BTW, fwiw, in terms of shipwrecks, Gitche Gumee, while being the largest, ranks fourth .... that's right, fourth fewest shipwrecks outta four great lakes. Few know that and ever fewer ask why because they're too busy paying yearly hommage to the Fitz ... because of a song.

Anyways, whatever. I love the country up there and those lakes ... and I'm a southern boy to the bone but, those lakes and that country are absolutely fascinating. I wish more people would take the time to learn about them.

The Fitz get's play because it was 75 and by then you'd think that a modern steel ship just couldn't sink on a lake. The song is why people talk about it now but why was the song written?

I get it - there are a ton more interesting shipwrecks to talk about but most people aren't just that well versed on the Bradley, The Eastland or The Elgin. Hell the Morell's aft section steaming along after splitting in two is crazy but most don't know about it unless you're a boat nerd. Most aren't boat nerds.

The USCG Ice Breaker Mackinaw "Mighty Mac" does an annual Christmas tree run from the UP down to Chicago to commemorate the loss of the Christmas tree ship Rouse Simmons. She was lost with all hands delivering Christmas trees from Manistique to Chicago in the November gale of 1912. She was a schooner that was heavily overloaded with over 5000 trees. 3 other boats were lost that day too.

Captains in those days tried to make extra $ by extending the season. Hence, the late run in November. Her keel was laid in the 1860's and many sailors didn't think she was seaworthy anymore. The Captain gave it a go anyway. She lost two men and a small boat along with some of her cargo lashed 8 high to on her deck sometime in the night. She lowered her flags to half mast as a sign of distress. Surf boats were launched but she was never heard from her again until a bottle washed up on shore with a note written by one of the doomed sailors. "Friday...Everybody goodbye. I guess we are all through. During the night the small boat washed overboard. Invald and Steve lost too. God help us". Some 12 years later the Captain's wallet washed ashore. They were finding Christmas trees washed up for years on the Michigan shore.

I think that song is a tribute to the 30K+ lives and 6000 vessels lost on the Great Lakes. There have been some bad storms - mostly in November. 1905 - 29 boats lost 36 lives, 1913 - 19 boats lost 250 lives, to name a few. In 1989 the USCG Cutter Mesquite ran hard aground and tore her hull up on a reef off the Keweenaw. She had just pulled the buoy marking said reef to end the season. She's still there.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm about 25 miles from where the Rouse Simmons sits in some deep, tech dive depth water.

Me

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Record breaking temps today, was 72 here and in TVC, never think it was Nov. 10th calling for a high of 38 tommorow.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by slumlord
Do we have any type of song for Chernobyl that we could annoyingly post every year on the anniversary?

Nugget….get to work on it

Maybe a Barney n Friends nuclear meltdown song? Or The Wiggles?

There is always Radioactive by the Firm

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
30,000 mariners' have lost their lives on the Great Lakes...

Gitche Gumee don’t mess around.

IC B2

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

262 members (10gaugemag, 41rem, 348srfun, 264mag, 12344mag, 160user, 31 invisible), 1,760 guests, and 1,105 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,090
Posts18,522,058
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.