Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
To summarize a story I read some time ago among the gun literature discussing the relative merits and stopping power of various handgun rounds:

In the 1970's a black NY Transit Authority cop had a shootout with a wanted bank robber. The cop had his .38 revolver and the bad guy had a 1911 .45. Both of them emptied their pistols at each other from spitting distance, just a few yards apart. When it was over the cop was standing unscathed and the bank robber was dead.

When asked about it later, the cop said, "shootin' straight with my thirty eight beats him givin' me jive with a forty five."

Hmm, something about accuracy or hitting the target being the most important factor might make a good sig line... wink

Jesus Christ...

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
LOL...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by hikerbum
Google Jim Cerillo (spelling?)… 38 worked for hi,…aLOT

In Jim Cirillo's case, obviously he was a superb shooter and calm under pressure in a fight, but he also chose to use different ammo than that which was issued to the NYPD.

For a long time the issued load was a round nose lead load at 700FPS. Cirillo chose to use custom produced Super-Vel ammo that was a 110 grain hollow point, as 1125 FPS. This was for his K Frames.

For his 2" Colt Cobra, Cirillo chose to load it with Wadcutters, knowing that the most hollow points won't expand in short barrels and wadcutters do very well from a terminal ballistics standpoint.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Cirrilo knew that wadcutters work well in short barreled revolvers. They worked back then and they work now.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RGK
A model 68 is the perfect .38. Love mine. I sent this back to S&W long ago for the patridge (post) front sight. One of my favorite handguns.
Bob

Looking at that M68 makes me think impure thoughts.

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Originally Posted by RGK
For a couple of years or so I was shooting this daily, mostly with wadcutters or 158 grain ball. An easy revolver to like.
Bob

Few things are as fun as a .38 Special for punching paper:

Mackay,
How do you find the trigger on your Security Six? I have a pristine 6” SS model I picked up for a song a few years back. Shot it a lot. Installed lighter springs. Dry fired it a lot. I still find it to be in a word; rough. I can hit with it double and single action, but it is so much work compared to my S&Ws. All in all I love the revolver, but sometimes thoughts of replacing it with a 3” M65 or 6” M19 creep into my head.

Expat

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Cirrilo knew that wadcutters work well in short barreled revolvers. They worked back then and they work now.

They do….

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by ExpatFromOK
Originally Posted by RGK
For a couple of years or so I was shooting this daily, mostly with wadcutters or 158 grain ball. An easy revolver to like.
Bob

Few things are as fun as a .38 Special for punching paper:

Mackay,
How do you find the trigger on your Security Six? I have a pristine 6” SS model I picked up for a song a few years back. Shot it a lot. Installed lighter springs. Dry fired it a lot. I still find it to be in a word; rough. I can hit with it double and single action, but it is so much work compared to my S&Ws. All in all I love the revolver, but sometimes thoughts of replacing it with a 3” M65 or 6” M19 creep into my head.

Expat

They generally tend to be heavier than Smiths. Not unworkable though. Mine is totally stock and is heavy but I don't mind too much, as I don't care as much about the trigger pull weight, as I do smoothness. If it is smooth then (for me at least) I can shoot it well enough. I have shot a few Ruger Security/GP100 series that have had some excellent trigger work done on them, and they were truly excellent, but it requires a smith who is good at doing such jobs. The GP100 and Security/Service-6 series are excellent guns and for a guy who is going to pound a lot of magnum rounds down range, I don't think you can do much better.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
It's good to see that this thread is still alive and well, just like the .38 Special... wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
It's good to see that this thread is still alive and well, just like the .38 Special... wink

You're right! Been shooting this a lot lately...my old issued M67 that I bought from the city after retiring. Still an excellent package. Holster is a Hoyt breakfront.
Bob

Last edited by RGK; 11/11/22.
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
.38 spl will always be around. I am very fond of the cartridge. Fun to shoot.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The cartridge will be around forever. Many newbs leave gun shops with small light revolvers as their first ccw. These are usually Taurus, S&W or sometimes Ruger. With DAO one can easily miss "barn door at five paces".😂

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The cartridge will be around forever. Many newbs leave gun shops with small light revolvers as their first ccw. These are usually Taurus, S&W or sometimes Ruger. With DAO one can easily miss "barn door at five paces". With .357 load must make first shot count at all costs.😂

Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (219 Wasp, 10gaugemag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1234, 1lessdog, 64 invisible), 2,365 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,325
Posts18,487,499
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.