Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
At 7:15 this morning I was covered up with deer. Sitting in blind I took my 1st shot. Sounded like a cap gun, not igniting powder. I snapped 5 or 6 on same doe. I drove 20 miles to my house to grab a newer Knight that uses a shot gun primers. Back in blind by 10:00, ten minutes later had a buck on the ground. I know my old mk85 is a good shooter, and it was clean. Could these percussion caps be so old they went bad? I hear em go off, but it's hit or miss igniting powder.

Romans 5:1
GB4

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
if the Caps are going off and not igniting the powder I would lean toward the nipples plugged up

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
No, your gun is f-ed up. Either the nipple is clogged or the "flash channel" between the cap and the powder charge is clogged. Or the powder is contaminated because you didn't pre-clean the gun before loading it. I would start out with a nipple pick trying to unclog the nipple. If that doesn't work, remove the nipple and poke a few granules of powder down into the hole under the nipple, then reinstall the nipple, add a cap, and fire it. (Edit to add: note that the gun is going to make more flash and boom when it goes off doing this because you'll have powder burning where powder ain't really supposed to burn, so use safety goggles / watch your eyes for flying bits of percussion cap.) Or, if you have a CO2 discharger, discharge the ball/powder, then clean the gun properly.

Rather than snapping a cap or two as is most folks' practice before loading (to clear oil, etc out of the flash channel), I usually just give it a good shot of CO2 before loading. This clears the passage without leaving caustic residue to attract moisture from the air. By doing that, I don't have to give the gun a full cleaning if I don't actually fire it, I can just clear the charge with CO2, then swab a few times with a dry patch.

Last edited by T_O_M; 11/13/22.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ldholton
if the Caps are going off and not igniting the powder I would lean toward the nipples plugged up
Nipple was clean. It actually shot on 7th cap as a doe was headed over the ridge. Was a miss, 8th try it wouldn't ignite again. That's when I got pissed, and left to get the newer Knight.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
When I load my Thompson Renegade, I’ll load the powder/projectile, then I screw the nipple and see if I can see any powder granules in the hole where it goes. I also make sure I can see through the hole in the nipple. If so, it’ll fire. If not, I’ll sprinkle a few granules of powder in there and then replace the nipple.

If you heard the cap “pop!”, it did it’s job.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gregintenn
When I load my Thompson Renegade, I’ll load the powder/projectile, then I screw the nipple and see if I can see any powder granules in the hole where it goes. I also make sure I can see through the hole in the nipple. If so, it’ll fire. If not, I’ll sprinkle a few granules of powder in there and then replace the nipple.

If you heard the cap “pop!”, it did it’s job.

Yep.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Jiveturkey
At 7:15 this morning I was covered up with deer. Sitting in blind I took my 1st shot. Sounded like a cap gun, not igniting powder. I snapped 5 or 6 on same doe. I drove 20 miles to my house to grab a newer Knight that uses a shot gun primers. Back in blind by 10:00, ten minutes later had a buck on the ground. I know my old mk85 is a good shooter, and it was clean. Could these percussion caps be so old they went bad? I hear em go off, but it's hit or miss igniting powder.
If they are popping, they are not bad. Could be bad powder or a clogged flash channel.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Also, make sure to get all the solvents/oils out of the barrel before loading.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Also, make sure to get all the solvents/oils out of the barrel before loading.
Yep. It will deactivate the powder.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I went last Sunday, and came home with the flu. It stayed loaded all week until today. It gave me a fit at the range trying to set scope. Cleaned it well, back to range and 4 shots no problem to set scope. It was clean this morning as far as I know. I'm gonna start using the newer Knight anyways. Got a buck at the processor, and sitting here eating dinner. Everything worked out, just wondering why I'm getting intermittent ignition.

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Use a rifle that doesn't need a cap. It's called a "flintlock". I quit shooting percussion rifles over 20 years ago, and I've never had a problem with the rifle failing to fire. The myth about flinters being slow and unreliable is a shooter's problem, not the rifle's.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Use a rifle that doesn't need a cap. It's called a "flintlock". I quit shooting percussion rifles over 20 years ago, and I've never had a problem with the rifle failing to fire. The myth about flinters being slow and unreliable is a shooter's problem, not the rifle's.
My dad died last year, and I'd got most of his guns over here. I hadn't brought his muzzleloader, but his box of supplies with primers was here. I had to go to mom's, get his muzzleloader, to my house 20 miles away to get primers, back to blind. It all worked out well, just an interesting morning.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I only use musket caps/nipple.

What if Jessie's girl is Stacy's mom, and her phone number is 867-5309
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
What powder are you using?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by willycc
2 Pyrodex pellets. No problem out of newer gun with 209 primers

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Missed a dandy buck to a hang fire a few yrs ago due to cheap 209 primers I switched to a hot federal mag primer and haven’t had the issue after

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
As far as sidelocks go my old man pulled the bullet and dumped the powder after the days hunt he had a similar experience same stand ginormous buck

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I had a problem with Remington #11 caps that were several years old and would not regularly fire. I switched over to CCI caps and problem solved.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Jiveturkey
Originally Posted by willycc
2 Pyrodex pellets. No problem out of newer gun with 209 primers
Wait a sec dude.
Pyrodex pellets in a side lock???

That's why.
You got no powder under the nipple in.the flash channel.
Pyrodex pellets are meant to be center ignited .
Not loose powder side ignited.

Those pellets also have like a 5gr ring around the base that is supposed to lite off easier.
Kinda like a distinct darker colored line of it.

A musket cap will touch one off if center ignited like the older knights ignition system

209 primer in the newer knights and older ones with 209 conversion will ignite pellets.
Even with some very early inline guns center ignited with # 11 caps are not meant for pellets.
Some early Austin and Halleck guns IIRC were inline # 11 ignited.
Some of those guns predate pellets and are meant for loose powder only.
A #11 is not very hot or its flame pattern really concentrated.

Side lock with a percussion cap and pelllets????
That is your problem if it is what was going on from what I understand now.

Side locks need loose powder to fill the flash channel under the nipple.
Flame under nipple hit powder under and lites off the flash channel filled with powder in its 90° turn to main charge in barrel.

If your loading pellets into a side lock

That cap flame has nothing to ignite for probably almost 1/2 to
3/ 4 ths inch in the flash chamber.
And it might not even be around that little booster charge ring for ignition of a pellet due to actual breech design recess and that pellet booster ring setting slightly behind the actual flash hole into the barrel.

Dunno ...
I might have read this wrong in pellets in a sidekick and misunderstood you.

Last edited by renegade50; 11/13/22.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Yeah, no pellets. Musket caps still work better.

What if Jessie's girl is Stacy's mom, and her phone number is 867-5309
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

694 members (17Hunter, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 153, 74 invisible), 2,988 guests, and 1,394 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,976
Posts18,480,799
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.