Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Why use that position to qualify?

Because they want to see if you can shoot proficiently and not have a schitshow of wounded animals produced by idiots who don’t have basic shooting skills.

LOL, you think the best way to avoid a schitshow is to allow people to use a rest when they qualify that they won't have when the actual hunt happens, got it.

There are such things as trees, brush, fence posts ,ect in the field and the qual allows shooting sticks instead of the post. I would have used sticks to pass that qual.

Get out in the field a bit more and this would be easier for you to understand.

The 300yds portion allowed prone and bipods.

Seems a good test for this kind of thing.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

Yes, it does. If you were using your sticks and had the option to kneel or sit, which would you choose?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Yes, it does. If you were using your sticks and had the option to kneel or sit, which would you choose?

I think you had to stand or kneel for the three shots @200yds.

I would prefer to sit if that was an option.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Me too. Especially shooting downhill.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I think you had to stand or kneel for the three shots @200yds.

I would prefer to sit if that was an option.

....And it was clearly stated that sitting is not an option. Standing or kneeling. Of course sitting is easier, but they don't want it to be easier. They want proficient shooters.

In Practical Rifle Matches, there usually is a stage with the four positions; Standing, Kneeling, Sitting, unsupported Prone. All are shot with only the use of a sling. Targets are sized appropriately for the order of difficulty. Requiring a participant in this depredation hunt to put 3 rounds on a gigantic plate at 200 yards from kneeling with the use of a support is kindergarten stuff. The fact that the shooter can use his tripod or sticks makes it rudimentary. Most guys I know would deploy their tripod, shoot the 200 yard plate 3 times and simply stay on the tripod for the 300 yard plate even though prone is allowed. If you can't hit the gigantic plate at 300 from prone, God help you!

3 minutes to shoot 2 gigantic 6 MOA targets that the range is given is an eternity for anyone with any shooting proficiency. Most matches only have 2 MOA targets and require the shooter to deploy every piece of gear on the clock, FIND THE TARGET because that's part of the job, range the target yourself and engage it.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
....And it was clearly stated that sitting is not an option. Standing or kneeling. Of course sitting is easier, but they don't want it to be easier. They want proficient shooters.

In Practical Rifle Matches, there usually is a stage with the four positions; Standing, Kneeling, Sitting, unsupported Prone. All are shot with only the use of a sling. Targets are sized appropriately for the order of difficulty. Requiring a participant in this depredation hunt to put 3 rounds on a gigantic plate at 200 yards from kneeling with the use of a support is kindergarten stuff. The fact that the shooter can use his tripod or sticks makes it rudimentary. Most guys I know would deploy their tripod, shoot the 200 yard plate 3 times and simply stay on the tripod for the 300 yard plate even though prone is allowed. If you can't hit the gigantic plate at 300 from prone, God help you!

3 minutes to shoot 2 gigantic 6 MOA targets that the range is given is an eternity for anyone with any shooting proficiency. Most matches only have 2 MOA targets and require the shooter to deploy every piece of gear on the clock, FIND THE TARGET because that's part of the job, range the target yourself and engage it.

The other aspect is pressure.

Having to hit with every shot and a group watching is not something the average hunter has done.

This hunt/cull sound funs and there is a lot of demand.

Maybe they should fill the slots with a competition? grin

Shot timer and fastest time on the 6 shots without a miss rank the shooters.

Last edited by JohnBurns; 11/14/22.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

The other aspect is pressure.

Having to hit with every shot and a group watching is not something the average hunter has done.

This hunt/cull sound funs and there is a lot of demand.

Maybe they should fill the slots with a competition? grin

Shot timer and fastest time on the 6 shots without a miss rank the shooters.

That’s basically what they’re doing. Like they say on the website, most can’t complete the requirements.

I had the same thought about their standards for the cull. They should have just contacted match directors in Colorado for a list of regular participants in competitive shoots if they wanted to get this done cleanly and efficiently.

Although when the general public caught wind of it, there’d be a bunch of whiny bitches crying “fairness”

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That’s basically what they’re doing. Like they say on the website, most can’t complete the requirements.

I had the same thought about their standards for the cull. They should have just contacted match directors in Colorado for a list of regular participants in competitive shoots if they wanted to get this done cleanly and efficiently.

Although when the general public caught wind of it, there’d be a bunch of whiny bitches crying “fairness”

I say a match that is 6 shots on the timer.

Miss and you're out and time ranks your spot on the cull. grin

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Are you trying to make pole have a seizure?

LOL

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Nah, it's like Taylor said, it's their program and their rules, so either get with the program or step aside for the next guy, they had 2,000 applications in a couple days.

But sure as shìt some out-of-state know-it-all aśśhole will weigh in with his opinions on not only how they should do it, but who should be allowed to participate.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For some reason shooting elk in potato fields is of zero interest to me. I'm not much of a sharpshooter either though.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Nah, it's like Taylor said, it's their program and their rules, so either get with the program or step aside for the next guy, they had 2,000 applications in a couple days.

But sure as shìt some out-of-state know-it-all aśśhole will weigh in with his opinions on not only how they should do it, but who should be allowed to participate.

Shame on me for having an opinion 😂

You’re right though. They ought to let morons who rarely hunt with center fire rifles and are ignorant of the fundamentals of marksmanship tell them how to run it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

eek

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 30338
For some reason shooting elk in potato fields is of zero interest to me. I'm not much of a sharpshooter either though.

Is that where the culling happens? I assumed it was on the federal land.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Shame on me for having an opinion 😂

You’re right though. They ought to let morons who rarely hunt with center fire rifles and are ignorant of the fundamentals of marksmanship tell them how to run it.

LOL, I live here but I'm not the one telling them how to do it or who should be allowed to participate. Like I said earlier, I'll use his position shown on the video. His hunt, his rules.

And it was rarely hunt with centerfires. Not rarely shoot centerfires. See the difference there?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
LOL, I live here but I'm not the one telling them how to do it or who should be allowed to participate. Like I said earlier, I'll use his position shown on the video. His hunt, his rules.

And it was rarely hunt with centerfires. Not rarely shoot centerfires. See the difference there?

I think it's the CO Parks and Wildlife who set the rules. Not an individual game warden.

Even out of staters can have an opinon on how to do it better, but we might not have much influence.

You were questioning the use of the post.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
I think it's the CO Parks and Wildlife who set the rules. Not an individual game warden.

Even out of staters can have an opinon on how to do it better, but we might not have much influence.

John,
In this case I do believe it’s the individual Area Wildlife Manager (AWM) in the video that is setting the rules. They may be using the same or similar rules used in the past.
Usually when it’s a National Park the NPS has their own people manage the hunt, but it appears this is a remote enough location the feds handed the cull over to the state.

I’ve killed a few animals from some pretty unorthodox positions but that kneeling position is still a cockamamie way to shoot a critter.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
I’ve killed a few animals from some pretty unorthodox positions but that kneeling position is still a cockamamie way to shoot a critter.

Well you learned something…

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

Well you learned something…
Lol…..

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think it's the CO Parks and Wildlife who sets the rules. Not an individual game warden.

John,
In this case I do believe it’s the individual Area Wildlife Manager (AWM) in the video that is setting the rules. They may be using the same or similar rules used in the past.
Usually when it’s a National Park the NPS has their own people manage the hunt, but it appears this is a remote enough location the feds handed the cull over to the state.

Casey,

I think everyone agrees sitting is better than kneeling for being steady.

That said if you have a rest to support the front of the rifle then right elbow to right knee adds support to the back of the rifle.

If you are shooting kneeling without any front support then left elbow to left knee it the best way. But without a sling and the time to get slung up it's only a bit better than offhand.

Any way some time when you're bored see what you think of that reversed kneeling with a front rest, I recomend some sticks.

Might be a tool for the tool box.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 51 invisible), 2,058 guests, and 1,365 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,763
Posts18,495,552
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.