Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
GRIZZ Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Competition primer seating tool anyone invest in one? Do you likes it? Priming with my Lee Auto Prime is a pain in the dick thinking about pulling the trigger on the Primal Rights tool.

Coyotes shot no waiting.
GB1

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A fool and his money are easily parted. P.T. Barnum

Fits perfectly here.

Swifty
GRIZZ Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Swifty52

Fits perfectly here.

That wasn't the question... Besides, I've never seen an armoured car chasing a hearse stupid fuqk.

Coyotes shot no waiting.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've heard good things, but the online persona of the owner is just plain douchy.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
IC B2

GRIZZ Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Guitar man...

Coyotes shot no waiting.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by GRIZZ
Originally Posted by Swifty52

Fits perfectly here.

That wasn't the question... Besides, I've never seen an armoured car chasing a hearse stupid fuqk.
If your can't take the answers, don't ask the questions.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Orkan....

Last edited by Higginez; 11/15/22.

GRIZZ Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Son!

Coyotes shot no waiting.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The OG

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Give it a go.

Yup.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'm sure you know that the device is supposed to seat the primer a fixed distance below the case head. It does that. There are more than one problem with that design. First, the brass must be uniformed with respect to primer pocket depth. That's doable, but it's also a moving target. Brass flows to the case head as well as flowing to the neck and shoulder. If anyone doubts that, try using a fixed depth primer pocket uniformer until it reaches full depth and then fire the brass 2 or 3 X. Use the uniformer again and you will find that it will remove additional brass that has flowed into the case head. That means that for the PR seater to work as advertised, the primer pockets would have to be uniformed virtually every firing to maintain a consistent depth between individual pieces of brass.
The second issue is that every primer pocket uniformer available today indexes off the case head. The PR (like most, if not all) tool indexes off the forward edge of the case rim. If the rim thickness varies then the distance to the bottom of the primer pocket varies. There is not a commercially available tool to correct that problem if it exists.
That tool looks like a well machined and finished piece, but it won't do anything that a good hand held tool like a 21st Century, K&M or Sinclair will do at 1/4 the price. The bottom line is that the primer anvil needs to sit firmly on the bottom of the pocket and there's a bunch of tools that have worked well enough to win many benchrest championships without the expense. That P.T. Barnum guy comes to mind again.

Last edited by BangPop; 11/16/22.
GRIZZ Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BangPop
I'm sure you know that the device is supposed to seat the primer a fixed distance below the case head. It does that. There are more than one problem with that design. First, the brass must be uniformed with respect to primer pocket depth. That's doable, but it's also a moving target. Brass flows to the case head as well as flowing to the neck and shoulder. If anyone doubts that, try using a fixed depth primer pocket uniformer until it reaches full depth and then fire the brass 2 or 3 X. Use the uniformer again and you will find that it will remove additional brass that has flowed into the case head. That means that for the PR seater to work as advertised, the primer pockets would have to be uniformed virtually every firing to maintain a consistent depth between individual pieces of brass.
The second issue is that every primer pocket uniformer available today indexes off the case head. The PR (like most, if not all) tool indexes off the forward edge of the case rim. If the rim thickness varies then the distance to the bottom of the primer pocket varies. There is not a commercially available tool to correct that problem if it exists.
That tool looks like a well machined and finished piece, but it won't do anything that a good hand held tool like a 21st Century, K&M or Sinclair will do at 1/4 the price. The bottom line is that the primer anvil needs to sit firmly on the bottom of the pocket and there's a bunch of tools that have worked well enough to win many benchrest championships without the expense. That P.T. Barnum guy comes to mind again.
Thanks for yor constructive reply. I'm going to take a look at all the alternatives you mention here.

Coyotes shot no waiting.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
One can over think , many things, and primer seating is one of them. Primer pockets are not flat from the drawing process and can vary in depth. From a competition standpoint, primer pockets are trued up with a cutting tool that flattens the bottom of the pocket and cuts to a uniform depth. Once done, the same tool can be used to clean the pocket of residue back to a fresh turned state.

Some pockets are not deep enough when new, the main thing is to get the primer below the case head, a few thousands below the head is good. A simple feel of the finger tip is all it takes. There are many priming tools, all of them hold the brass by the rim and press the primer in. The important thing is to feel the primer bottom in the pocket the same with each one, and a good tool will do that. And you don't have to spend a hundred dollars or more for a decent tool. Bench mounted seaters, or using the reloading press to seat primers don't give you the feel as a hand held tool.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
GRIZZ,

Have you figured out how to use a Lee Priming Tool yet?

LOL

I’d think after 30 years you’d have this stuff down.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
there are lots of good priming tools not near as expensive. and a whole lot better than Lee.
how particularly like the people who do not clean primer pockets cuz it makes no difference but then buys the most expensive gauged priming tool to be precise...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

136 members (44mc, 007FJ, 7887mm08, 35, 10Glocks, 11 invisible), 1,349 guests, and 862 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,869
Posts18,478,696
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.