Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
F
fester Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by jbmi
Drew blood first time with my 338 mag. Once was enough.
I bet!
I got touched enough I thought I was
bleeding. Lesson learned real quick.

Stock hitting your check will get your attention
fast as well.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by fester
Originally Posted by hookeye
Checking zero on a Knight .50 cal, on a zero degree day, leaning over hood of my old CJ
Had one come back more lively than usual and bumped nose.
Must not have been seated fully? Bad form?
Only one that got me, out of a bunch of diff stuff over the years.
.50 knight? I’m not familiar with that gun.
Glad you didn’t break your face.

Was a Knight Wolverine, their cheapest rig at the time I think. SOB shot great.
Took another elk hunting in CO, good little rigs.
Reg #11 ignition and real BP w a sabot'd 240gr (deer).
I replaced the plastic sights w spares off a 700 (minor fitting) and ran the Maxihunters when I went after elk.
Those shot great too.

Was cheatin on deer. Felt bad about it, so sold and went back to side hammer........beautiful TC stainless Hawken.
Worst shooting , worst face bashing POS Ive ever had.
Got it to behave shooting wise eventually and backed off the load to reduce face smack.
I shot my biggest buck w it so am kinda hangin on to it.

Last edited by hookeye; 11/18/22.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by slumlord
Never
Liar. Pffft.

slumlord is stout and not afraid of his rifles, better have control of your 7mag or savage10ml hanging your ass off the side of a hackberry over 4 strands of barbed wire below
I’m listening.
18-1/2” pythons help too

Get some gravy in ya

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
300Win with a newly mounted 3-12 Shepherd is the only one that actually cut me over the eye circa 2004. I finished the deer season with that pairing then sold the Shepherd shortly thereafter. I've peeled the skin off the bridge of my nose a few times via the thumb-button on Butler Creek flip covers. Most recent was about 3-4 weeks ago. I wasn't thinking and let a pard's NULA 270Win free-recoil on bags rather than the firm grip I'd normally use on fly-weights. BC flipper got me.

None of them have been awful gashes requiring stitches. Have to look pretty hard to find the scars over my eye or on my nose.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Fester: Indeed I endured a "Weatherby Eyebrow" several years ago on a high country Hunt in western Wyoming.
It was snowing hard and very cold - I was after Mule Deer. I spied a dandy Buck uphill from me and laid down in the deep powder snow, shouldering my pre-64 Winchester Model 70 in caliber 30/06.
I apparently picked up a batch of powder snow between my Rifles buttstock and my shoulder and at discharge the Rifle slid downward and the Leupold scope came back and cut me - deep!
I was stunned by the impact and had just one eye working but saw the Buck going down.
So I soon got on an even keel and started toward the downed Deer.
My right cheek soon became very cold and with my ungloved trigger hand I reached up and removed a "blood icicle" from that cheek.
I then became aware that I was bleeding rather heavily and had to hold up on the uphill trudge and stopped the bleeding with my handkerchief.
Two years ago I was assisting a 100% disabled military veteran on an Antelope Hunt and he touched off a shot from a rather awkward position and his 270 Winchester scope broke his nose and cut it deeply!
Took us 20 minutes to stop the bleeding from the bridge of his nose and out his nostril!
My close friend here in SW Montana was Hunting Elk with his custom Ruger #1 in caliber 338/378 Weatherby and shot from the prone position in deep snow and again at an uphill angle - the resulting Weatherby eyebrow rendered him instantly unconscious and he estimates he woke up 20 minutes later and in near bitch black darkness - he had to stop his bleeding with a spare glove and then it took him 10 minutes to find his Rifle in the powder snow. He had to abandon his Hunt (follow-up on the shot at the Elk) and head for his vehicle and then to the hospital for stitches and head exam!
Lesson - be familiar with your Rifles recoil and only shoot from a steady, strongly supported position.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B2

F
fester Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Checking zero on a Knight .50 cal, on a zero degree day, leaning over hood of my old CJ
Had one come back more lively than usual and bumped nose.
Must not have been seated fully? Bad form?
Only one that got me, out of a bunch of diff stuff over the years.
.50 knight? I’m not familiar with that gun.
Glad you didn’t break your face.

Was a Knight Wolverine, their cheapest rig at the time I think. SOB shot great.
Took another elk hunting in CO, good little rigs.
Reg #11 ignition and real BP w a sabot'd 240gr (deer).
I replaced the plastic sights w spares off a 700 (minor fitting) and ran the Maxihunters when I went after elk.
Those shot great too.

Was cheatin on deer. Felt bad about it, so sold and went back to side hammer........beautiful TC stainless Hawken.
Worst shooting , worst face bashing POS Ive ever had.
Got it to behave shooting wise eventually and backed off the load to reduce face smack.
I shot my biggest buck w it so am kinda hangin on to it.
Lol.

One of my uncles rifles got me. He sold
it because it was a cheap piece Remington
sold. Screw that rifle.😂

Do you have pictures of the rifle?
I will google it. I’ve never heard of it and
now I’m interested.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Fester: Indeed I endured a "Weatherby Eyebrow" several years ago on a high country Hunt in western Wyoming.
It was snowing hard and very cold - I was after Mule Deer. I spied a dandy Buck uphill from me and laid down in the deep powder snow, shouldering my pre-64 Winchester Model 70 in caliber 30/06.
I apparently picked up a batch of powder snow between my Rifles buttstock and my shoulder and at discharge the Rifle slid downward and the Leupold scope came back and cut me - deep!
I was stunned by the impact and had just one eye working but saw the Buck going down.
My right cheek soon became very cold and with my ungloved trigger hand I reached up and removed a "blood icicle" from that cheek.
I then became aware that I was bleeding rather heavily and had to hold up on the uphill trudge and stopped the bleeding with my handkerchief.
Two years ago I was assisting a 100% disabled military veteran on an Antelope Hunt and he touched off a shot from a rather awkward position and his 270 Winchester scope broke his nose and cut it deeply!
Took us 20 minutes to stop the bleeding from the bridge of his nose and out his nostril!
My close friend here in SW Montana was Hunting Elk with his custom Ruger #1 in caliber 338/378 Weatherby and shot from the prone position in deep snow and again at an uphill angle - the resulting Weatherby eyebrow rendered him instantly unconscious and he estimates he woke up 20 minutes later and in near bitch black darkness - he had to stop his bleeding with a spare glove and then it took him 10 minutes to find his Rifle in the powder snow. He had to abandon his Hunt (follow-up on the shot at the Elk) and head for his vehicle and then to the hospital for stitches and head exam!
Lesson - be familiar with your Rifles recoil and only shoot from a steady, strongly supported position.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Fugking moron

LOL

F
fester Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by VaHunter
I will confess to being a "scope crawler" in the past and have been cut several times. It typically happened when shooting off a bench and trying to apply as little pressure as possible to the firearm to get the best group possible, also while wearing light weight clothing not typical of the hunting clothing I wear, causing an unusually short length of pull. The worst cuts were from an old Remington 760 30-06 that had a Weaver 2 1/2-7x scope that had little eye relief and very sharp optical eye piece.

I have stopped shooting with the light holds of the past, have started adding padding/spacer to the butt of the rifle when shooting with only a shirt on and have not had any trouble with lightweight 7mm Rem Mag, lightweight 338-06, 35 whelen and a 375 H&H mag. I will say I have had a bump or two to my shooting glasses in the last 20 years or so with the heaviest of loads in the 7mm mag and the 338-06 mention because of their light weight but nothing serious .
Yep

I’ve been lucky enough to not bleed. I did however get hit, hard.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I didn't grow up shooting rifles, and bought and fired my first one without any adult supervision.

Having to patch up an eye is a good way to learn.

IC B3

F
fester Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Great story man.

I was too young to hunt Montana.

Good

F
fester Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Stickfight
I didn't grow up shooting rifles, and bought and fired my first one without any adult supervision.

10/22 ruger? 😉

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Basic Knight, plastic sights. Blued w a plastic stock that looked like a Ruger boat paddle (kinda hollowed out).
Both of mine were of that vintage.
Think later models were more conventional looking.

Pretty much quit shooting BP rigs about 20 yrs ago.
Too much of a PITA

Last edited by hookeye; 11/18/22.
F
fester Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Fugking moron

LOL
Stop being a d ick. Lol

I know for a fact you got scoped
Swallow yer pride, bud. 😉

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

That is the main reason people get scope bit. Ignorance..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Japanese Weaver on a Ruger Skeleton stock 30-06. Laid awkwardly across an alder branch. Got laid open. Required a follow up shot. Got it again. I am a slow learner.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by barm
I got nailed by a 50 caliber muzzleloader (inline) which was my cousin's rifle. His arms are shorter and he had the scope too close for my liking. I made a stalk on a small buck in the middle of a field. I had to lay prone to shoot. I thought I could hold my face back far enough to keep from getting hit. At the sound of the shot all I could see was smoke and pain. The scope had wacked me across my nose. I could feel something wet on my face and knew it was blood. I quickly walked over to the deer to make sure it was down and then walked back to my uncle's house to see my injury. I remember walking through his front door and he looked at me with a concerned look and said, "What the hell happened to you?". I didn't have to get stitches, but it did not look good.

I also got lightly tapped on the forehead by the same cousin's 300 Winchester Magnum shooting at another deer. I stopped shooting his guns after that one. laugh
Lol. Good story. I appreciate your honesty.

Did your uncle dump some booze on your wound and give you a cig? Lol

He's a farmer and and was in the National Guard for years. He has sympathy for no one. I could tell he felt bad for me, but I wasn't getting any help as long as I was walking and talking. Lol

F
fester Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

That is the main reason people get scope bit. Ignorance..
Not knowing and being unable to shoot a rifle
is not ignorance.

I’m glad you came out of the womb knowing
how to turn a wrench or shoot a fu cking
rifle, in any caliber, on target.

Effin stud.

F
fester Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
I got nailed by a 50 caliber muzzleloader (inline) which was my cousin's rifle. His arms are shorter and he had the scope too close for my liking. I made a stalk on a small buck in the middle of a field. I had to lay prone to shoot. I thought I could hold my face back far enough to keep from getting hit. At the sound of the shot all I could see was smoke and pain. The scope had wacked me across my nose. I could feel something wet on my face and knew it was blood. I quickly walked over to the deer to make sure it was down and then walked back to my uncle's house to see my injury. I remember walking through his front door and he looked at me with a concerned look and said, "What the hell happened to you?". I didn't have to get stitches, but it did not look good.

I also got lightly tapped on the forehead by the same cousin's 300 Winchester Magnum shooting at another deer. I stopped shooting his guns after that one. laugh
Lol. Good story. I appreciate your honesty.

Did your uncle dump some booze on your wound and give you a cig? Lol

He's a farmer and and was in the National Guard for years. He has sympathy for no one. I could tell he felt bad for me, but I wasn't getting any help as long as I was walking and talking. Lol
Lol! Long walk no talk.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Did he go back and look for the elk?

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

163 members (35WhelenNut, 300_savage, 338reddog, 308xray, 16penny, 27 invisible), 2,021 guests, and 1,008 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,268
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.