OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by mathman
Ignorant in my definition is using or doing
the same thing twice without learning your first
negative lesson.

That seems closer to obtuse, or thick. grin
Or just dumb. I’m guilty of all the above.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
870 slug barrel with scope is not meant to be shot prone.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
F
fester Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Or off hip. Double ought is a Mf.

F
fester Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Emptying the tube pumping it.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
My last hunt in Botswana I used a camp 338. It drew my blood a couple times. Other than that, never.

IC B2

F
fester Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by SDLEFTY
My last hunt in Botswana I used a camp 338. It drew my blood a couple times. Other than that, never.
A couple? Son of a gun.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Actually there is a comedy of errors anecdote with this. A river, 2 big inner tubes, a sheet of plywood, a dead moose from a few hours before, 2 young men with way more enthusiasm than brains....so we return to the scene of the crime to get the rest of the meat, with the 870 loaded for bear...yup, as expected bear ate most of the gutpile on shore and was working on the meat we'd piled on a gravel bar (by the by, brownies aren't intimidated by piss trails and man stink clothes)...hollering, firing pistol in the water to scare her off..of course it didn't scare her...she starts toward the out of control drifting raft, clack-clack, she is pissed. My buddy the great Aleut hunter laid on the deck and fired the scoped slug gun, because I was jumping up and down for some reason, wobbling the raft, but Mrs Bruin dropped on all fours and walked into the willows. Ivan the great says, settle down...she's gone, holy schidt Ivan your leaking bad, can you see out of that eye? He says it's hokay, scope got me. Tough tough kid.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Touched a few times.

Once, was all twisted up shooting at a deer, before I pulled the trigger I thought about thge stock barely on the side of my shoulder.
"Just the 308, it ain't too bad."

Pulled the trigger.
It moved my glasses and honestly didn't hurt, but an old Leupold, it sliced
my nose.

On the left side.
A right, I was shooting from the right shoulder.

I was really twisted up.
Missed the deer.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Got beaned by a .300 H&H. Crawled the stock and was gently reminded not to do that again. No blood, but a decent bruise. I also had a 1917 Eddystone that had been rebored to .35 Brown-Whalen and shortened and lightened. No scope, but I left my thumb over the wrist of the stock and hit myself in the nose. Hard to shoot with watery eyes. Friend got bit hard by a 450 Marlin. Mounted his 2.5x leupold too far back. Opened his brow and nose pretty good. About 8 stitches worth if I remember right. He offered to sell it to me cheap after I took him home from the ER. I politely declined.

Old70

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Never with a scoped rifle,but will admit to a bloodied nose from an 835,shooting a gobbler that snuck in behind me…

IC B3

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Ive had it a couple times. Seems to happen shooting at an incline. Last time was shooting uphill, prone, with a .444 marlin. Also, i was drunk.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by fester
Who will admit to a scope tattoo?

I have been touched but not cut.

Which one of you fine fellers has been given the ring tat? What caliber/cartridge were you shooting?

.300 mag out of that Remington m7 synthetic stock rifle touched, but did not cut me, with the scope.

Yes, once. A pretty light Win 670 in 30-06 with a 4-12x42 Burris FF II loaded with a Hornady 190 btsp and enough IMR 4831 to break 2800 fps.

I went prone on a downhill slope shooting at a coyote which was at a higher elevation than I. It cut my right eyebrow to the bone. The guys at work got a great laugh when we gathered for lunch in the break room. They all recognized exactly what had occurred.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not yet...

Harry
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tide_Change
Skip to the 1:00 mark.

This one cracked me up. You would think he could have seen that one coming and warned her...

She ended up with a pretty good shiner. grin

I watched that show, laughed my guts out when she scoped herself, saw it coming a long way off!! lol

Her boyfriend knew it would happen heheheh

Thanks for posting that and the laughs!

Last edited by KillerBee; 11/18/22.

KB

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a Barrett 50 cal "I sold it on this forum" and it had a tank style muzzle break, and I said to myself I wonder what the difference will be if I take it off. I mean the rifle weighed 55 pounds I though the weight would absorb the recoil well guess what it didn't well not enough anyways.
Ouchy

RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Never had the problem. Then again, hardest recoiling rifle I own is probably Marlin GG with hot rod .45-70 loads. Maybe because I only shoot my own rifles that I’ve set up right or, sometimes, friends’ rifles that I’m loading for and have also set up.

Mathew 22: 37-39

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
If ya shoot uphill from prone with a hard kicker, yer gonna have a bad day.

F
fester Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Plumdog
If ya shoot uphill from prone with a hard kicker, yer gonna have a bad day.
Lol, saw my bud get whacked whacking I deer with
a shot up hill.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I've been cut but didn't require stitches. A 300 Weatherby in a MKV.

lightman
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by fester
Who will admit to a scope tattoo?

I have been touched but not cut.

Which one of you fine fellers has been given the ring tat? What caliber/cartridge were you shooting?

.300 mag out of that Remington m7 synthetic stock rifle touched, but did not cut me, with the scope.

Many times, in the early 80’s.

I had bought the rifle of my dreams, a Win.Model 70 XTR in .375 H&H. After buying the rifle I was broke, and bought the only scope that I could afford…..a 3-9 Bushnell, for around $39.00 at a nearby Walmart.

While trying to build a load for my new rifle with Sierra 300 gr. SBT, I would get hit numerous times while going through a 20 round box. The first couple of times it hurt like hell…..but, I must’ve gotten a bit numb, as later hits didn’t hurt very badly.

Most of the time, I had blood streaks down both sides of my nose on the return trip home! Finally, once getting a 2-7 Leupold, the “scope attacks” ceased! 😉

Retiring that rifle for one with much higher recoil, I was very careful to start out with a scope with lots of eye relief! Learning how to firmly hold a heavy recoiling rifle didn’t hurt any either! 😁 memtb

Last edited by memtb; 11/18/22.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (1234, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 16penny, 56 invisible), 2,261 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,391
Posts18,488,731
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.