Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I know 15-25° is not cold for some of you all and your part of the world but my feet get chilly pretty quick at anything much under freezing. Most of it is because they sweat so bad.

Looking for a boot that is pretty good at those 0-25° temperatures. Right now I wear a pair of Dryshod gussets that are supposedly good for -20-65° but that's a pretty good range to be effective in that <30° temperature.

I am currently wearing a sock liner with Polartec fleece socks but under freezing I am only good for about 3 hours max. All day if I wear the Arctic Shield over boot booties but those are noisy on bottom especially for stand hunting.

I have been looking at Alphaburly 1600 gram but wonder if too much insulation will make matters worse with sweat.

Stand hunting boot only, 200-300 yard maximum walking distance from truck to stand. Usually about 150 yard walk.

I am not 100% set on rubbers if there are better options.

What are some of your alls recommendations for the under 30° temperatures? Especially for you guys that have sweaty feet and deal with same temp range.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 11/19/22.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have some Sorel Manitou boots with a thick felt liner that are pretty warm

Last edited by DollarShort; 11/19/22.
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
I have feet issues, so mine get cold real easily too, especially ice fishing.

I would actually suggest trying different socks first. Good socks can make a world of difference by themselves. I'm fond of Heat Holders, they're about 20 bucks a pair, but they help without making my feet sweat like a lot of heavy winter socks.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I use the Little Hotties heat pads for feet and use the hand warmers in my shirt pockets works great here in Alaska
https://www.littlehottieswarmers.com/

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by zcm82
I have feet issues, so mine get cold real easily too, especially ice fishing.

I would actually suggest trying different socks first. Good socks can make a world of difference by themselves. I'm fond of Heat Holders, they're about 20 bucks a pair, but they help without making my feet sweat like a lot of heavy winter socks.
I have tried 3 or 4 different sock combinations over the years. So far what I am using seems best.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kk alaska
I use the Little Hotties heat pads for feet and use the hand warmers in my shirt pockets works great here in Alaska
https://www.littlehottieswarmers.com/
I have those heated stick on insole pads. Can't even tell they heat once I get them down in my boots.

Feet are the problem, nothing else.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Sweat...exactly what your problem is..my guess anyway. I fought cold feet for several years in Alaska, finally co workers tired of my sniveling clued me in. Dumped all the heavy insulated gear...ended up with Goodyear Xtra Tuffs, a felt insole, a wool sock, and a light (almost a dress sock) wicking sock. Problem solved to minus 20. If you don't like 100% rubber, the LL Bean uninsulated hunting shoe is even better, same innersole/sock layer. Don't lace them tight...let the moist air circulate up and out. You should shoot for cool dry feet, not warm sweaty.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Sweat...exactly what your problem is..my guess anyway. I fought cold feet for several years in Alaska, finally co workers tired of my sniveling clued me in. Dumped all the heavy insulated gear...ended up with Goodyear Xtra Tuffs, a felt insole, a wool sock, and a light (almost a dress sock) wicking sock. Problem solved to minus 20. If you don't like 100% rubber, the LL Bean uninsulated hunting shoe is even better, same innersole/sock layer. Don't lace them tight...let the moist air circulate up and out. You should shoot for cool dry feet, not warm sweaty.
Why I am using a wicking liner. The felt insole would be a good idea. Otherwise your set up is just like I stated I am using.

No problems if I am working/moving. It's 3-12 hours in a stand.

I almost wonder if 1 size larger boot would help with letting air circulation and socks wouldn't be pressed right up against boot interior.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Been wearing USAF issued N1-B mukluks since I got my first pair while stationed at Elmendorf AFB. Just the ticket. YMMV

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I don't know beans about the boots you have, but you say they are rated -20 to -65, and that is my point...too much of a good thing. GoodYear XtraTuffs are the Gucci of Alaska, and the originals were un -insulated. I also am clueless about a "stand"...I assume movement is bad...so my info although well meant is bad probably. Good luck. Those felt soles are exactly what I used, alternate 2 pair ... dry ones every morning.

Last edited by flintlocke; 11/19/22.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Found these too. I wonder if a liner sock, a wool or performance sock and these in 1 sized bigger boot would help.

30 years ago I had uninsulated LaCrosse boots and used these liners but do not remember how my feet were. 17-20 years old and even if too cold I was a lot tougher.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I don't know beans about the boots you have, but you say they are rated -20 to -65, and that is my point...too much of a good thing. GoodYear XtraTuffs are the Gucci of Alaska, and the originals were un -insulated. I also am clueless about a "stand"...I assume movement is bad...so my info although well meant is bad probably. Good luck.
No movement. Sitting in 1 location all day.

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
If you’re not walking in water, skip the rubber boots and get Lacrosse Ice Kings. Be sure to get them on the big size a bit. Wear a liner sock and a wool sock. Be sure the socks aren’t too tight. If needed use the chemical toe warmers. Enjoy your toasty feet.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I wear a pair of cabelas Predator boots for stand hunting. Smart wool liner socks, a pair of medium-heavy wool socks, and a toe warmer packet stuck under the toe area. A little clunky but they work. And put a heater packet in the back of your neck gaiter. Keeps your blood warmer.

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Brad

Yea, OK, these look great too. I now covet a pair of them. You’re gonna cost me money, man.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Sorrels with a felt insert are about the only boot that will keep my feet warm. I have a pair of Schnees with inserts and they are the coldest boot I ever wore. I mostly use the Grabber brand of full foot insoles chemical foot warmers.They are big enough cover the entire foot. Other brands do not.I also wear a pair of poly sock liners and a wool blend socks

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I don't know beans about the boots you have, but you say they are rated -20 to -65, and that is my point...too much of a good thing. GoodYear XtraTuffs are the Gucci of Alaska, and the originals were un -insulated. I also am clueless about a "stand"...I assume movement is bad...so my info although well meant is bad probably. Good luck. Those felt soles are exactly what I used, alternate 2 pair ... dry ones every morning.
-20 to +75. My bad. Too much of a range in my opinion

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by WMR
If you’re not walking in water, skip the rubber boots and get Lacrosse Ice Kings. Be sure to get them on the big size a bit. Wear a liner sock and a wool sock. Be sure the socks aren’t too tight. If needed use the chemical toe warmers. Enjoy your toasty feet.

What WMR said about losing the rubber boots. Buy a good pac boot with thick FELT liners (not chitty thinsulate, etc.), wear wool socks and your feet will stay dry and warm.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

395 members (10ring1, 17Hunter, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1moredeer, 1badf350, 39 invisible), 1,441 guests, and 1,118 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,984
Posts18,520,042
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.