Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 16 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 15 16
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JPro
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Dead center in the lungs. Not a lot of deer die instantly from just a lung hit.

No reason to as they haven't had time to drown in their own blood and leak out yet.

Yeah some will say thier '06 kills em instantly with a lung only hit but I bet they never took the time to really get in there and see what was really hit.

Most folks gut em, and from what I have seen they can make a chore/mess of that then off to the processor not having a clue what really happens at the shot.

I agree. About the only thing I've seen take them down reliably with lung-only hits were soft bullets at hyper-velocity. Old school NBT lung hits from 300WM or 7mmRM pushing 3300-3400 would often drop them with just lungs, but they'd sure make a mess. Other rounds generally have them on their feet for 10-30 seconds after a hit through the middle of the lungs. If that's the hit you get, I like to see some chunks of pink goo coming out of an exit. A medium-weight bullet from a 7-08, 308, 35Rem, etc will typically do it pretty well without much recoil. Probably why they continue to be regarded as bread & butter deer cartridge's around here.
Exactly why I like softer Sierras pushed over 2800, 3000 or so seems to be the sweet spot on em though.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by Raeford
Use the 95gn Federal Fusion with little to no issues, so far.
I used them in the 150 gr. weight in my .30-06 for a couple seasons. They are vey accurate in that rifle. I have one I recovered from just under the hide of a medium sized buck I shot through both shoulders a couple seasons ago. It expanded very wide which of course limited peneration. No issue in that instance of course since that buck dropped in it's tracks but I'd rather have seen more penertation and an exit.

I run the 130's in my .270, zero issues with them there as well.

I was using Speer Nitrex in both[Grand Slam bullets], but then Speer sold out and whomever discontinued the 'factory ammo' line.
Ran out of the Nitrex 4-5 years back, tried the Fusion in one, it did well and added the other caliber.
Piled up 15-20bx of each and add one-two yearly.

I just try to keep it simple with my admittedly limited knowledge, if something works for me I stick with it.

FJB & FJT
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Use the 95gn Federal Fusion with little to no issues, so far.
I used them in the 150 gr. weight in my .30-06 for a couple seasons. They are vey accurate in that rifle. I have one I recovered from just under the hide of a medium sized buck I shot through both shoulders a couple seasons ago. It expanded very wide which of course limited peneration. No issue in that instance of course since that buck dropped in it's tracks but I'd rather have seen more penertation and an exit.

I run the 130's in my .270, zero issues with them there as well.

I was using Speer Nitrex in both[Grand Slam bullets], but then Speer sold out and whomever discontinued the 'factory am
Ran out of the Nitrex 4-5 years back, tried the Fusion in one, it did well and added the other caliber.
Piled up 15-20bx of each and add one-two yearly.

I just try to keep it simple with my admittedly limited knowledge, if something works for me I stick with it.
I'd like to try the 180's in my .30-06 for hopefully a bit more penetration but they've been unobtainium around here so have gone back to Power Points for now.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Hm. Maybe there's some folks here that are under-gunned for shooting the gigantic deer in their neck of the woods. I suggest a wildcat cartridge: a 20mm case necked down to 50 cal, and using the Hornady 570gr DGX Bonded bullet, just as fast as you can push it. Should anchor 'em with shoulder shot.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by JPro
Deer hunting, on purpose, for a good buck? I want more rifle, because I might get one or two opportunities all season for a good shooter, and he might give me 3 seconds to make it happen and get a bullet in a vital area.
In those situations, it’s not more rifle that I want but more bullet. I’ve driven a fair number of .243 bullets lengthwise through large deer, smashing large bone in the process, and the 80 TTSX and 85 X/TSX have gotten the job done with aplomb.
I've never used TSX's and probably won't. I see no reason when the cheap cup/cores I use in my .30 cals. have been working fine for decades and dozens upon dozens of deer. I've also heard from many people who say that they produce narrower wound channels and can be slow killers with lung shots so you need to shoot bone for quick kills. In fact, I hear the "shoot bone" mantra from TSX users over and over again right here on these forums. Makes sense since a given bullet at a given velocity can ony do just so much damage. You have a choice of a longer narrower wound channel or a shallower, wider channel. I don't always have the option to "shoot bone" due to obstructions and since I don't do ass shots {ain't been that desperate} and as stated before, I get full penetration on hard quartering shots with what I use now, I see no reason for a longer, narrower wound channel and more penetration. Unlike many here apparently, I have no problem and make no apologies for shooting bullets bigger than .24 cal. at deer.
That works, too. Variety is the spice of life.

Having said that, I've not seen one run further than about 100 yards after a good lung shot, and most been much shorter, which is not too different from what you've mentioned using other calibers.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not much data here on Federal 100 grain blue box. That's my deer bullet for this year. My son has got good results with it

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by FishinHank
Wait for the 95BT to go on sale at SPS and pick some up. Shot lots of deer with them out of my 243 and never had to shoot one twice, never lost one either.

That’s my bullet of choice in the 243.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Another thing that comes into play is , if you know you made a good hit .
Set tight for 20-30 min to let him lay down .
If you push him , her instantly you’ll give them an adrenaline rush and then you’ve extended the hunt .
My self and several others have made that mistake plenty of times .
Kenneth

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by moosemike
Not much data here on Federal 100 grain blue box. That's my deer bullet for this year. My son has got good results with it

Had a big hog (maybe 325lb) soak up that bullet this morning at about 180 yards. Saw buzzards after lunch about 600 yards away.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Sir, if you are gonna chase me around with the bumperdumper pic, you have to do it right so others understand.

Make a meme out of it.

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 11/19/22.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Well 2 days ago I screwed up the biggest buck I've seen in years by my piss poor bullet placement. Using my .243ai. I got excited and for some unknown reason put the + on the point of his shoulder when he stopped broadside. It knocked him down on the front end and then he ran off. There was a good blood till there was no blood after 1/2+ miles. I knew I had problems with penetration using the Hornady 103 ELD-X, but the ELD-X shoots extremely good in my rifle and I thought I could overcome the lack of penetration by bullet placement. But during the rut when the bucks are running the does back and forth, hardly stopping. I've learned that I need something else bullet wise, my mind isn't capable of making the right split second decisions. If nothing else, I'm more convinced than ever, that Bullet Construction is more important than Ballistic Coefficient for hunting. We still had a good afternoon my son killed this buck shortly after my screw up.

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wife put a 95 BT through both shoulders this morning, went about 8 yards like they normally do. Typical performance.

O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Holston
Wife put a 95 BT through both shoulders this morning, went about 8 yards like they normally do. Typical performance.

How big of deer and what distance? I bought a pile of these bullets and thinking about trying them.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Oldquailhunter
Originally Posted by Holston

How big of deer and what distance? I bought a pile of these bullets and thinking about trying them.

120ish pounds dressed. About 130 yards.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Well 2 days ago I screwed up the biggest buck I've seen in years by my piss poor bullet placement. Using my .243ai. I got excited and for some unknown reason put the + on the point of his shoulder when he stopped broadside. It knocked him down on the front end and then he ran off. There was a good blood till there was no blood after 1/2+ miles. I knew I had problems with penetration using the Hornady 103 ELD-X, but the ELD-X shoots extremely good in my rifle and I thought I could overcome the lack of penetration by bullet placement. But during the rut when the bucks are running the does back and forth, hardly stopping. I've learned that I need something else bullet wise, my mind isn't capable of making the right split second decisions. If nothing else, I'm more convinced than ever, that Bullet Construction is more important than Ballistic Coefficient for hunting. We still had a good afternoon my son killed this buck shortly after my screw up.
Ballistic coefficient never even enters my mind when I'm choosing a hunting bullet. My hunting takes place in the Woods

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Federal blue box 100gr behind the shoulder works for me…

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
This weekend my nephew drilled a nice NW Louisiana buck through the shoulders. He was shooting a 243 using Federal ammo with the Barnes 85 grain TSX.

Outrance:

[Linked Image]

Entrance:

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
And???

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Page 7 of 16 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

523 members (1234, 1lesfox, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 57 invisible), 2,411 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,378
Posts18,488,532
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.