Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I was nearing the end of my second tour in 'Nam, a run of 18 months. Things were a little chaotic over there, to put it mildly. Was assigned to B Troop 7/17th Cav at Camp Enari, next door to Pleiku. This assignment was my 4th for that tour. 2/17th ACS, 1/9th ACS, 229th AHB then 7/17th. To be clear, my butt was a little raw, and I decided to take a little time off. You see, one of the things I didn't want to burden my parents with was a telegram telling them I was KIA right at the end of my tour. I was scheduled to depart on 6 December for the Real World.

So, I decided to throw a wrench in the works for the platoon scheduling officer, and went to visit the dentist. It happened that I had a severely impacted wisdom tooth that was bothering me a bit and I figured that if I had it removed the pain meds would keep me grounded until I got to the last few days, which typically saw you grounded anyway.

The dentist took a look at the Xray and told me it would be difficult to remove and asked if I could wait until I got back home. "Oh no, I can't wait!" An hour later he put down the hammer and chisel and let me set up to admire the 3 pieces of tooth he'd removed. grin Yeah, he gave me some meds and grounded me, so after my return to the unit I gave my platoon leader the paperwork. PO meter was pegged at 10 I think.

Went back to see the dentist for followup just a few days before I left and sitting in front of the med center was a Huey Dustoff bird with more .50 cal bullet holes than I could count. The copilot chair was perforated like swiss cheese and that part of the cockpit was sprayed with dry blood. another crewman seat in the rear, likewise.

I milled around for the remainder of my time and they finally put me on that big ol' jet airliner and it took me away from all the crap. I was pickin' bone/tooth chips out of my gum for about 6 months after that. Smiled every time.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Praise God, for saving your life.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Great story Dan!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Glad you made it home safe!
I didn't make to to Vietnam, tried to volunteer but the Navy wouldn't have me.
You need to finish that book.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The day they sent you home was the day I was born. Early afternoon. Good day. Glad you made it back, Dan.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Welcome home BD.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dan the Man ... great story! Thanks for sharing.

So you were up in I Corp for awhile with the unicorns and my beloved eighty-deuce?

Recon?

Y'all were attached to The Deuce for at least a year if I remember correctly. Or, by then maybe, y'all were with 3rd Herd (173rd) under Anthony B Herbert and that dickweed full bird whatshisname Ross? Bald headed dickweed. Still I Corp but .... anyways, I'm trying-to remember.

What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.
In a nation where anything goes ... eventually, everything will. We're almost there.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Thank you Uncle Dan!

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Greatful for your rotten tooth, the fire wouldn't be same without you, Dan.

Thank you for your service.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
Great story DD, you are a smart man. I'm glad you made it home Sir!

GOA
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SBTCO
Greatful for your rotten tooth, the fire wouldn't be same without you, Dan.

Thank you for your service.

^^^This^^^ 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

And you need to get your book in print, Sir. One of the best things I’ve ever read about Vietnam. 👍🏻

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Sonofabitch...the littlest choices we make...can have the most profound consequences.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hells ya...
Luv'n it...

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Thank you for your service...and thanks be to God for bringing you home safe.

GOD Bless America
DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Glad you made it Dan. You are a significant benefactor to the Fire.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Fortunate Son.

Old guy, old guns.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Glad you made it Dan. Sometime things like a bad tooth can be a blessing.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I joined ROTC at MSU to try and get a scholarship to pay for my college tuition. My brother had already entered the service as a 2nd Lieutenant with a ROTC scholarship.

I went before the review board and the attending cadet advisor told me how to approach the board with salutes and courtesy, but my long hair and unpolished brass probably has the board still laughing at the idiotic attempt for a scholarship.

I didn’t come off too well, got no scholarship and had a draft lottery number somewhere around 220. That was the end of my military career, I have always felt I didn’t fulfill my obligations to the service.

Years later I spoke to Greg Stube, a certified American Hero, and explained my feeling of inadequacy for not serving in the military. He told me not to feel that way and thanked me for my service as an employed American citizen and supporting soldiers such as himself, through my service to society.

You need to google this guy and see his amazing service to this country. A bonafide American Hero that told me to not feel guilty about not serving in the armed forces. These men that gave so valiantly to protect freedom around the world, have my utmost support and appreciation for sacrificing their lives and time spent in the armed forces of the United States, and I still have that feeling of an incomplete life that I didn’t serve as every generation before me had, clear back to the Revolutionary War.

My thanks to Dan and all that so willingly gave of their time and effort to protect what we have left in this country…

https://gregstube.com/

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Thanks for your service Dan! Welcome Home!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Always enjoy your stories Dan. Thanks for your service!

And yes, Greg Stube is a great guy. I got to meet him at a function for kids put on by the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation.
The funny thing is I had read his story in a gun rag a couple years before that and then as he told his story I thought that sounds awful familiar.
He only lived a few miles from me for a while but I believe he has since moved.
His military career began in the infantry as an 11 Charlie as I recall. Heck of a guy. Very humble.

Last edited by JTrapper73; 11/22/22.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (007FJ, 1234, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 64 invisible), 2,423 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,420
Posts18,470,563
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.