Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
We took delivery on a RAV4 Hybrid back in April, we had to wait four months for it then.

Today, I got an email from the local dealer, who had had a miserable time trying to get them, and they had five RAV4s in stock, and they wanted to move them. We paid cash for her RAV4, and I'm considering buying one for myself, but I'm going to wait until we get my mother's house sold, so I don't have to finance it. That hybrid thingy is kinda neat, I wouldn't mind having one myself, and the 39+ mpg is pretty nice, too. I don't need even a small pickup any more, I can get by with a RAV4 just fine.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
GB1

Terryk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well used cars won't be selling for more than new cars, that is for sure.
Used car loans are a record level for late payments right now. This is sure to lead to record loan defaults as inflation erodes the monthly budget.
The banks will take the hit, but you know that comes back to the consumer somehow.
Supply, demand, interest rates, inflation, all have impact.

2022 Ram trucks have 3250.00 cash back plus 0% interest rate.
https://www.ramtrucks.com/incentives/bonus-incentives.html

Ford has cash rebates and special finance rates too.
https://www.realcartips.com/ford-incentives/

Chevy too.
https://www.chevrolet.com/current-deals#?requestedPostalcode=16801&vehicleType=all&postalcode=16801&open-panel=OfferType&open-panel=silverado:silverado-1500&offer=Finance&offer=Cash&focusedFilter=offer

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Carvana is about to go bankrupt which I think will start the collapse.

I've heard, on youtube, that lots of people bought ridiculously overpriced cars on credit and then asked for covid loan forbearance. Now that the "relief" is ending a bunch will be repossessed.

Housing market moves slower but it also doesn't look good until the government starts handing out money again.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
In 2019 I bought a new body style ram 1500 Laramie that stickered for $58,000+ for $39,600 after rebates and dealer discounts. I traded it in last year for $48,000 on an f150 hybrid.

I miss the days of huge discounts and rebates on cars. I'm looking forward to prices coming down. It sounds like it may still be a little while though. I just wonder if the diesel suburban I ordered the first of the year will ever be built. If diesel prices keep climbing it may not be worth it.

Bb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Barney_Fife
All jokes aside, I've seen inventory improve slightly on certain models the past 3 weeks. Not sure if this is due to the 2023 model year or people starting to see the light. Regardless, short of an actual depression that none here have ever experienced, prices won't free fall on new vehicles. Incentives will get more gooder, prices might retract (slightly), but you'll still walk funny after the deal is done and you're headed home.

YMMV

After the local dealer told us about folks trying to sell,
We were in another and I ask him about inventory.
He said they are getting a good flow, not enough to stock much but
they were moving a good number monthly. In and out.

He says he doesn't foresee the days of big stocking dealers coming back.
Acres of asphalt are expensive. People keeping those cars clean are expensive.

The floor plan?😣😣😣😣😣
He represents 7 dealerships. Their floor plan costs were in the million$ pre-covid. That is a hell of a lot of cars sold just to pay interest on having cars to sell. Even with fewer sales now, their profits are way higher.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Originally Posted by Terryk
Youtube has plenty of "experts" saying the car market is in trouble.
Seems production is up, and the chip shortage is ending. New car inventory is doubled from a year ago.
Used car prices are falling every month at the wholesale level. Interest rates are climbing, foreclosures on used cars are climbing too, and banks are reducing loan allocations for used cars.
Stimulus money is over, and inflation will cause more defaults on loans. So used cars prices will crash, and new cars will be tougher for more people to buy, given higher interest, and lower trade value.
Anyway this "story" is a popular topic on youtube now. So, if it is true, cars should be cheaper by spring. Many are saying new car incentives will be very soon.
Local Chevy dealer has a nice 2015 Tacoma for sale. It is listed for 30K. MSRP 8 years ago was 26,355. Aged like a fine wine.

If new cars are going to be hard to buy, it doesn't make sense that used cars will crash. Used cars went up like a rocket because you couldn't buy new.
Plus, used car availability is tied to new car availability on both ends.
If new cars aren't within reach, people don't trade, that limits the used car supply. If a guy actually needing another can't buy new, he buys used instead. Pulling from the already limited supply.

Eventually, it works it's way down the price scale, with traditional new buyers buying off the top, pushing the people who might buy there to move down a tier.

That happened last time.
Used selling for more than new, clear down to the $2500 car suddenly costing $4000.

High interest will affect used cars more than new.
You can more easily get, and get better rates, on new car loans.
This won't stop used car purchases, but it may push people down the price scale.

A new dealer told us 2 months ago he was seeing a big uptick in people stopping in to sell a car. Most, trying to get out of a loan that inflation had suddenly made burdensome. Unfortunately for them, many had bought the cars at inflated prices and not payed them down much. Now, they are trying to get out when the market is down. 2 years of payments, and they are still way upside down.

I guess im looking out farther?
My ideas kick in as your scenario plays out.
If we are both right, a guy running a car he likes but doesn't think he wants to keep for more than a year or two might want to trade up sooner.
[quote=Terryk]Youtube has plenty of "experts" saying the car market is in trouble.
Seems production is up, and the chip shortage is ending. New car inventory is doubled from a year ago.
Used car prices are falling every month at the wholesale level. Interest rates are climbing, foreclosures on used cars are climbing too, and banks are reducing loan allocations for used cars.
Stimulus money is over, and inflation will cause more defaults on loans. So used cars prices will crash, and new cars will be tougher for more people to buy, given higher interest, and lower trade value.
Anyway this "story" is a popular topic on youtube now. So, if it is true, cars should be cheaper by spring. Many are saying new car incentives will be very soon.
Local Chevy dealer has a nice 2015 Tacoma for sale. It is listed for 30K. MSRP 8 years ago was 26,355. Aged like a fine wine.

I agree. I need a newer truck. I will not pay the price today for used OR new. Even with new vehicles coming with incentives in the future, the price will still be too high. That forces people to go used and that keeps used prices up. This will take a while to unwind.

That people voted demorat will prolong the agony in my opinion.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've been hearing/reading this prediction for 8 or 9 months. Is this now when it occurs?

I'm all in when it happens, need to help oldest buy a new vehicle and bride is going to need a new one soon.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

The floor plan?😣😣😣😣😣
He represents 7 dealerships. Their floor plan costs were in the million$ pre-covid. That is a hell of a lot of cars sold just to pay interest on having cars to sell. Even with fewer sales now, their profits are way higher.

I wonder if the manufacturers will try to force dealers to take on more inventory than they want to carry.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Has it imploded yet? I saw a puddle on the ground and the neighbors cat hasn’t been around in a few days. Pretty sure I’m gonna be in the market soon. Cheaper the better.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rainshot
There isn’t anything they can’t screw up.

And they're doing a fine job of it.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
That sounds about right ,the wife went wild and bought a coachman rv a couple of years back for way more than I thought it was worth and now I need to get rid of it , once more buy high sell low. Anyone want a 98 leprechaun for 15 k? Ford v10 triton most every thing works, clean, needs generator but runs on shore power.

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My '14 Ram 2500 (Cummins) with 202k miles has an easy 150-200k left in it, wife's 2018 BMW 540i with 25k is still "new", my '01 540i with lots of Dinan goodies is barely broken in at 135k miles, and my "old timer" '85 M635Csi isn't going anywhere. I just did a thorough refresh on the '01, about $8k retail and it drives like a new one.

I'm pretty set for a good while, and I like what I have...............

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Whiptail
Carvana is about to go bankrupt which I think will start the collapse.

I've heard, on youtube, that lots of people bought ridiculously overpriced cars on credit and then asked for covid loan forbearance. Now that the "relief" is ending a bunch will be repossessed.

Housing market moves slower but it also doesn't look good until the government starts handing out money again.
I believe you are correct about Carvana. I see a half dozen of their delivery trucks at the car auction. I watched one pull into the auction with a used car on the back as I passed last week. The delivery trucks are parked with the truck to be sold so I’m thinking they’re sending a car and a truck to auction and neither leave as Carvana.

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This whole thread seems to say "nasty mess coming soon" in the vehicle business. Notmuch of an issue in our case, but sme questions for the knowledgeable here:
1. If I want to sell two 20 year old small ATVs in excellent condition and get a newer bigger one - like a Grizzly - best to jump, or wait, or?

2. If I simply want to sell a small to mid size Massey Ferguson 4wd tractor with low hours and excellent condition, best to do it very soon?

3. 20 year old high end motorhome (short version) with 90k on great gas engine - very good overall condition - have decided to sell - jump or wait?

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Jerry_Lundegaard
Same thing is happening with the UTV/ATV market. Gonna be a lot of smoking deals on 1-2 year old UTV/ATV’s! People thinking about selling that $30K SxS Covid impulse buy are about to be underwater.

I saw someone trying to sell a used honda pioneer 1000-5 for 31k the other day....hey, but it had a factory windshield

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Funny, I'm an a gmc page on occasion and just a couple months ago everyone was clammoring and begging to pay msrp instead of markup and this week they are calling out all the dealers for asking for msrp!

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by dale06
Ordered a new 2022 Silverado last May. It never was built. Changed the order to a 2023 in August. Dealer has no clue when it will arrive.

What engine? They still havent fixed the lifter issue in the 53 or 62

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by killerv
Originally Posted by Jerry_Lundegaard
Same thing is happening with the UTV/ATV market. Gonna be a lot of smoking deals on 1-2 year old UTV/ATV’s! People thinking about selling that $30K SxS Covid impulse buy are about to be underwater.

I saw someone trying to sell a used honda pioneer 1000-5 for 31k the other day....hey, but it had a factory windshield

I tend to be of the opinion that for things like a UTV/ATV which are so easily beat/abused and often so - I'd only ever buy new. Ain't buying someone else's flogging mule.

Me

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Barney_Fife
All jokes aside, I've seen inventory improve slightly on certain models the past 3 weeks. Not sure if this is due to the 2023 model year or people starting to see the light. Regardless, short of an actual depression that none here have ever experienced, prices won't free fall on new vehicles. Incentives will get more gooder, prices might retract (slightly), but you'll still walk funny after the deal is done and you're headed home.

YMMV

Our local govt just instituted a storm water runoff tax on businesses, your building and any concrete surfaces. Buddy who has a small flooring center just got sent a 3500 bill for his square footage. Can't imagine what a huge dealership would cost.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wife's car dealer around here has been texting and cold calling for service work I suspect the Boss said to do to do that ... cuz they're not getting any rigs to sell...

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

621 members (222Sako, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 16penny, 61 invisible), 2,612 guests, and 1,347 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,714
Posts18,475,547
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.