Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
pointer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Was wondering what those of you with a butcher block counter top use to protect it from stains, messes, etc? It will not be used as a cutting board, just as a counter/bar top. A quick search online shows folks using either butcher block oil or some covering it with a clear polyurethane.

Suggestions and advice welcomed and appreciated.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Repairs and maintenance are easier with oil

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I like wood working. I'd never use a poly compound on a true cutting board or butcher block where the edge of a knife is being used on it. However, the clear epoxy mixes are amazing for a bar/counter type sealant. There are several online videos about how to put the epoxy coat on...every one of them makes a mess. A few tricks include a blow torch and a super level surface (or it all runs off to one side). I wouldn't use a brush on polyurethane, the epoxy stuff looks so good, so professional that there's no reason not to use it.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Oil.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Maybe Danish oil, I've made a version of that.

Last edited by Armednfree; 11/22/22.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
100% Tung oil (no petroleum solvents added) is non-toxic- - - - -good for real cutting boards, and gunstocks.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
pointer;
Good evening, I hope the day behaved for you and you're well.

A couple of quick questions first if I may sir.

Is the butcher block end grain like a working butcher block is or is it side grain?

It's raw wood correct?

What kind of wood is it made out of?

For 27 years I worked in the cabinet and furniture industry, much of that in finishing, so what I've asked will have an effect on what we're trying to do is all.

All the best and Happy Thanksgiving.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gotta be food grade oil...

[Linked Image from mobileimages.lowes.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Used motor oil.

IC B3

pointer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BC30cal
pointer;
Good evening, I hope the day behaved for you and you're well.

A couple of quick questions first if I may sir.

Is the butcher block end grain like a working butcher block is or is it side grain?

It's raw wood correct?

What kind of wood is it made out of?

For 27 years I worked in the cabinet and furniture industry, much of that in finishing, so what I've asked will have an effect on what we're trying to do is all.

All the best and Happy Thanksgiving.

Dwayne
Let me preface this by saying that this is in a newly purchased home. I did not pick it out, nor do I really know much about it. The counter top is side grain. I do not know what kind of wood. I'd guess pine by the light color. I plan on this just being a counter top and not using it as a cutting board.

Thanks all for the advice and suggestions! I'm leaning towards oil, specifically the product JeffA posted a picture of.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd be surprised if it was pine - probably maple.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
100% Tung oil (no petroleum solvents added) is non-toxic- - - - -good for real cutting boards, and gunstocks.

^This, that's what I used on the last place I remodeled. The counter tops looked sweet when it was finished. Poly is going to show wear in no time.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
pointer;
Thanks for the reply.

The pickle we have with a butcher block of any wood is that it's tough to make anything other than a rubbed on oil finish look smooth and seal because of all the joints in the wood.

If you decide to go with something like an oil though, it'll be difficult to change in the future should you wish to.

I've finished maple butcher block tops with a water based floor finish with good results, but it took about 5 applications with sanding in between.

In the furniture shop we used a finish that was NKBA - National Kitchen & Bath Association - rated for bar tops, but it needed to be applied with a spray gun to get a decent finish and frankly we couldn't/wouldn't ever do it outside of a spray booth with good air movement as it was fairly bad for you until it cured completely.

Oil finishes, in my experience, while they are easier to repair and to some degree maintain, will get water, alcohol and mustard stains on them more readily than a tougher finish.

Even a 2 part polyurethane floor rated finish however can be damaged with heat, so remember your hot pot mats regardless of the finish used on that butcher block top.

Hopefully that all made sense and was useful.

All the best and again Happy Thanksgiving.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I bought a somewhat expensive Amish made butcher block island top, and tried to finish it with the food-grade butcher-block oil. The oil would soak in or evaporate in a matter of days. I applied it probably eight times. Finally gave up on it and put on Polyurethane, which only took two coats and made a stain-proof finish. It was not used for actual butchering and cutting. It was not end grain, but I can't remember what wood.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Many great options because there are so many parameters...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Used motor oil.
LOL
50:50 with diesel?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ironbender
Used motor oil.
LOL

Food grade bio-diesel

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used a food grade Waterlox brand on mine 20 years ago and haven't had an issue.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender
Used motor oil.
LOL

You want used gear oil for interior use.
The smell is AAAAAAMAZING!
The wife will LOVE it!!!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (1minute, 12344mag, 1936M71, 1Longbow, 06hunter59, 160user, 63 invisible), 2,119 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,049
Posts18,482,264
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.