Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 16 17
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by irfubar
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Play the video slowly and really check it out at 1:24. The 2nd bullet impact is solidly and clearly NOT in the antler. That must have been water or dust or whatever else was on the brush that was tangled in the antlers being shaken off with the sunlight hitting it just right.

I'd agree that isn't a great video for marketing but only because folks jump to their own conclusions, just like this thread is proving. I'd also have explained and cleared that misconception up at the end of the video before posting it on YouTube, but that is just me, I guess. It may not have mattered though as people here likely wouldn't bother finish watching it before responding just like they don't read follow up responses on threads.

I am outie, got a moose tag and know where a spike fork yearling bull has been hanging out. Hopefully he has crossed onto public. Flame away, I guess.

Shoot him through the horn for braggin rights.... smile

Exactly, then call it vital. That still picture is at 1:24 and there isn’t enough water in a branch to make a vapor cloud like that. That is horn and nothing else, but I did learn that a horn is now vital…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
And since you mentioned the Mark 5, here’s how the one my buddy has did on evaluation.

Gunsmith says it’s the most perfect scope he’s seen since my Mark 4 M5A2

In fairness, that report simply shows that the turret adjustment increments are as advertised and that the PA and magnification don't alter POI, but says nothing about the zero retention or repeatability of the scope.

If I'm interpreting it correctly, the last line seems to say that the scope tracks straight and that the reticle isn't canted, though I could be wrong about that. If I'm correct, that's a good start. It is nice to see that reported properties are as hoped for when a guy buys a scope.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Shrapp Baldwin
Play the video slowly and really check it out at 1:24. The 2nd bullet impact is solidly and clearly NOT in the antler. That must have been water or dust or whatever else was on the brush that was tangled in the antlers being shaken off with the sunlight hitting it just right.

I'd agree that isn't a great video for marketing but only because folks jump to their own conclusions, just like this thread is proving. I'd also have explained and cleared that misconception up at the end of the video before posting it on YouTube, but that is just me, I guess. It may not have mattered though as people here likely wouldn't bother finish watching it before responding just like they don't read follow up responses on threads.

I am outie, got a moose tag and know where a spike fork yearling bull has been hanging out. Hopefully he has crossed onto public. Flame away, I guess.
Exactly, then call it vital. That still picture is at 1:24 and there isn’t enough water in a branch to make a vapor cloud like that. That is horn and nothing else, but I did learn that a horn is now vital…

Damn but you are stupid. laugh

HD video frame by frame shows the impact in the chest that shakes the whole bull.

Photos of the horn clearly show no impact.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not taking sides here, but it looks to me that the bullet struck the onside base of the neck, shaking dust from the off side of the mane and dropping debris from the antlers.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I've not mounted a NIB scope on a rifle,since nearly 48hrs ago. That mainly due to the fact that it blew 80 yesterday and rained 3"+. Though I actually fhuqking SHOT the rifle,wearing said glass and then hammered come-ups at 1K+. Hint.

It likely weren't an in "spec" 6 MOA Reupold Wandering Piece Of Schit. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Not taking sides here, but it looks to me that the bullet struck the onside base of the neck, shaking dust from the off side of the mane and dropping debris from the antlers.

Well we know you're consistent and can read trace. grin

From a few years back when the tards got riled up cause they can't read trace in that video.

John,

Beauty bull!

Just watched the video, scrubbing back and forth over the shots a few times. From the looks of things, it's really difficult to see the trace or impact on the first shot, due to the bull making it to the edge of the camera's FOV when the shot was released (pard took hands off the camera for a minute to work the cow call, I assume). In your photo, however, you can see what must be the first shot, and based on the angle of the photo it looks to be a high, slightly rear lung shot, just under the spine. As you say, a bit more lead wouldn't have hurt, but not a terrible shot. In the vid, the second shot was at a quartering toward and left presentation, and the trace showed the bullet hitting somewhere on the outside left of the neck area, which appears to be a flesh wound in the neck muscle. The third shot showed an impact that I assume was a bit further forward than intended, perhaps a bit too much lead on the walking bull in compensation for the first shot which hit a little further back than you wanted, and hit the front edge of the shoulder, a bit above the center line of the body. The shot must have come very close to the spine or hit it, since the bull's legs folded up immediately as it went down.

Sound about right? Any pics of the 2nd or 3rd shots on the bull?
Okay, loaded the vid on Youtube, turned the vid up to maximum 720p resolution on my 24" Samsung monitor, and slowed playback speed to 0.25x. The trace and impact on that second shot is still a left side of neck shot to me.
Thanks. That's about what I thought I saw- the trace led straight into the mane, but I suppose the quartering angle was a bit more than it appeared, and even the mane shot angled into the chest.

Last edited by JohnBurns; 11/24/22.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Jeezus. Guy shoots bull, drops like a sack of potatoes and everyone gives him schit.

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by Shrapp Baldwin

Damn but you are stupid. laugh

HD video frame by frame shows the impact in the chest that shakes the whole bull.

Photos of the horn clearly show no impact.

Clearly! What a piece of lying $hit you are. Dust always flies off of the horns when your shoot him in the neck.

If you use the the same eyes to make your rifles that you use to see impact, there is nothing safe coming out of your garage where you put together those great rifles.

You never disappoint;

If only we had pictures of the bull head and skull.

You and Hilary seem to NOT keep all the good evidence, ie Rose Law Firm papers

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
You can see the elks mane shake from the impact of the frontal shot.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Jeezus. Guy shoots bull, drops like a sack of potatoes and everyone gives him schit.

Not everyone. wink

It is not hard to see who shoots and who does not and that video is great for smoking out the talkers from the shooters.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Shrappy Baldwin unsafe gun handler
Solid hit? That isn't a branch that the dust is coming from. That bull's head is turned to his right at the impact and that is a solid hit alright, solid horn...

Clearly! What a piece of lying $hit you are. Dust always flies off of the horns when your shoot him in the neck.

If you use the the same eyes to make your rifles that you use to see impact, there is nothing safe coming out of your garage where you put together those great rifles.

You never disappoint;

You and Hilary seem to NOT keep all the good evidence, ie Rose Law Firm papers

When you sober up ask Barsness to explain the video to you and how to read trace.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Jordan,

I did the same thing, running the video several times, and it looked to me like the second hit, when the bull was more-or-less facing, was just inside the elk's left shoulder. Will also be interested to hear.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
John,

Thanks for the additional info. That's where it looked like the second shot hit to me.

Also thanks for the info on the meat. What was the date?

Last edited by JohnBurns; 11/24/22.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I’m going to have to go with Burns on this one. It sure looks to me that the shot in question hits very near the line where the light and dark hair come together in the neck/shoulder. I have no guesses on what caused the cloud/spray but I think it’s the vegetation in his antlers that falls of when he hits the ground.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Seems more like a bunch of guys with an axe to grind can't see the forest for the trees.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by crc1514
I’m going to have to go with Burns on this one. It sure looks to me that the shot in question hits very near the line where the light and dark hair come together in the neck/shoulder. I have no guesses on what caused the cloud/spray but I think it’s the vegetation in his antlers that falls of when he hits the ground.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

…on the third shot.

I thought he was the WIZZ-TARD???

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bellydeep

…on the third shot.

I thought he was the WIZZ-TARD???
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My smoked turkey is done and I am off to TG feast.

Continue to discuss amongst yourselves. grin

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Dude…just stop. This is embarrassing, even for your standards.

Have you ever actually seen an antler that has been rifle shot? It splinters and blows chunks out, not dust sized particles. Nothing like what that video shows.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Dude…just stop. This is embarrassing, even for your standards.

Have you ever actually seen an antler that has been rifle shot? It splinters and blows chunks out, not dust sized particles. Nothing like what that video shows.

How did the moose hunting go Daniel Boone?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You guys must be watching the video on your phone with that huge 3 inch screen,

The 2nd shot hits the lower neck area, the ‘trace’ or vapor trail of that shot never even shows the elevation needed to hit the antlers,

I might question the first shot, but not the second.

Carry on.

Page 5 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 1234, 10ring1, 60 invisible), 2,267 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,261
Posts18,486,455
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.