Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Moses
Have a couple rifles that could go this route. Too much fuss for little gain? I know it could slow down case trimming. 80-100 fps increase?

With an improved case, yes trimming will be reduced, however the brass will flow to the shoulder neck area thus thickening the brass at this juncture. Two things happen, you will produce a 'donut' inside base of neck thus requiring reaming, especially when using a bushing set up to size, or if using a Collet die the 'donut' will be on the outside requiring the neck be turned occasionally to preclude difficult chambering.

If you want a bit more velocity at the same pressure, and the two mentioned are short action, (this for Tikka T3 owners) you can change the bolt stop and magazine to one that accommodates a 3.34" oal , depending on the throat dimensions the loaded round can be up to 0.540" longer, if length of bullet allows this.

A 7.7 twist 243 Win is a very nice set up with bullets in the 105 to 115gn range.

AI is to much hassle for the gains that are realized in the 243 and 7mm08.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
'retzs,

They are never not worth the first pitch. Hint.

Assmell,

How do you Crossed-eye Drooling CLUELESS Fhuqks,DREAM this schit up? Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have had several A.I.'s including a 243 AI. I would not do them again myself.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I’ll give them a shake out. Should be a wicked combo if they will perk.

I think this little Kimber will get an 2-12 Athlon before too long.

Semper Fi
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Big Stick
'retzs,

They are never not worth the first pitch. Hint.

Assmell,

How do you Crossed-eye Drooling CLUELESS Fhuqks,DREAM this schit up? Hint.

Experience, you are not the only one with that, lol

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
'lit,

The beauty of The Kreedmire,is that it is essentially a 22/24/264-250AI and excellent brass abounds,ready to roll. So reap 308 case capacity,but in a mechanically superior wrapper and get to bank a fair amount of COAL for better bullets. Win/win/win. Hint...........

'retzs,

Funny you mention that,as I'm gonna yard a SWFA 3-9x off a Kimber Limited Edition Kreedmire today and scope it same. Hint..............

Assmell,

It's your Imagination,simply Pretend with it as you MUST. Please continue doing so aloud,as nothing is fhuqking funnier,than oblivious humor. Feel free to add pics,to quantify same. Hint.

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
M
Moses Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
The .243 is a Sako Finnlight 20" barrel.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Sako is 10" RPM and a bust. Hint..............

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by beretzs
I’ve been messing around with then Montana 7-08, first one, but it’s a blast so far. I was also wondering how it’d handle 162’s in the little mag box. Seems like it’ll be fine. If 2700 is possible that should work excellent since it’ll get used for bucks and I’d prefer they open quicker rather than later. Thanks

Beretzs, I have a Tikka 708AI that has a 20" Bartlein barrel on it. I am using the M+ mags to get a little bit more room. I know I could get even more room if I wanted, but I am not one to chase speed as I am perfectly capable of using my dope chart and dialing, or even using my reticle in a pinch to make longer shots.

I am able to get 2750 with a 162 and Varget and 2740 with the same bullet and H4350. I can get a touch over 2800 with a 150 grain bullet, which is bad medicine for deer.

In regards to the people who continue to say "the AI isn't worth the effort", please explain to me exactly what effort is required? Simply load a standard round, fire it in your gun and then continue to load that fireformed brass until the primer pocket loosens up. Anneal after 5 firings, which is exactly what I do for my standard cartridges. The only thing I don't have to do with my AIs (or TCUs) is trim the brass. As for a ring forming in the neck, I have never experienced that and I have been shooting these types of cartridges for over 20 years now.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
'lit,

The beauty of The Kreedmire,is that it is essentially a 22/24/264-250AI and excellent brass abounds,ready to roll. So reap 308 case capacity,but in a mechanically superior wrapper and get to bank a fair amount of COAL for better bullets. Win/win/win. Hint...........

'retzs,

Funny you mention that,as I'm gonna yard a SWFA 3-9x off a Kimber Limited Edition Kreedmire today and scope it same. Hint..............

Assmell,

It's your Imagination,simply Pretend with it as you MUST. Please continue doing so aloud,as nothing is fhuqking funnier,than oblivious humor. Feel free to add pics,to quantify same. Hint.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Axtell
'lit,

'retzs,

Assmell,

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by HandgunHTR
I’ve been messing around with then Montana 7-08, first one, but it’s a blast so far. I was also wondering how it’d handle 162’s in the little mag box. Seems like it’ll be fine. If 2700 is possible that should work excellent since it’ll get used for bucks and I’d prefer they open quicker rather than later. Thanks

Beretzs, I have a Tikka 708AI that has a 20" Bartlein barrel on it. I am using the M+ mags to get a little bit more room. I know I could get even more room if I wanted, but I am not one to chase speed as I am perfectly capable of using my dope chart and dialing, or even using my reticle in a pinch to make longer shots.

I am able to get 2750 with a 162 and Varget and 2740 with the same bullet and H4350. I can get a touch over 2800 with a 150 grain bullet, which is bad medicine for deer.

In regards to the people who continue to say "the AI isn't worth the effort", please explain to me exactly what effort is required? Simply load a standard round, fire it in your gun and then continue to load that fireformed brass until the primer pocket loosens up. Anneal after 5 firings, which is exactly what I do for my standard cartridges. The only thing I don't have to do with my AIs (or TCUs) is trim the brass. As for a ring forming in the neck, I have never experienced that and I have been shooting these types of cartridges for over 20 years now.

It takes many cycles to to realize this, Dasher cases require at least 2 neck turns ( not a full neck turn , but just the thickened portion at the juncture of shoulder/neck, before pockets loosen.

Also create a false shoulder for the initial firing to increase case longevity.

Last edited by Axtell; 11/26/22.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Teekers are HILARIOUSLY Long Actions,whether 223 or 300 Winny,they are the same fhuqking receiver. Hint.

That being said and because bullets matter wayyyyyyy more than headstamps,a Skookum 7-08 SALAMI is easily realized on a Long Action,if only fhuqking obviously. The increase in COAL isn't a "Speed Adder",as much as it is a "Land Jump Reducer". Twist it 8" RPM and throated for 180 ELD's and 2600fps is a breeze,with much Precision and Accuracy. The .796 BC greedily clings to Launch Velocity and slips atmospherics amazingly,while bringing it's pile driving ass along for the ride. Hint.

On a Teeker,I'd go 284Win,long before 7-08AI. Hint.

Any/all Virgin Cases get "formed" on the first trigger pull,though some changes are obviously more drastic than others,if only by literal design. I shoot piles and piles and piles of Improved chamberings and shooting is something I happen to enjoy. That being said,it isn't a concession to gun a chambering who's DOPE is the same from it's Virgin poke,to it's last,as life cycles of brass go. Hint.

Just sayin'..................

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Assmell,

What are you HILARIOUSLY trying to "form",at sub 2300fps?!? HINT.

Fhuqking Krieger in 22BR here. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...........

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
With the 2-12 Athlons I’d be hard pressed to ever get more SS 3x9’s. A few ounces more for the Athlon but the rest is a big improvement. Worth it to me.

Solid copy on the 162 loads.

Semper Fi
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The 3-9's were never my cup of tea,but I ended up with too many anyway. Hint.(grin)

USPS Tracking says I'll have (4) more 2-12's arriving Monday,but I doubt the weather allows same..................

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Axtell
Originally Posted by HandgunHTR
As for a ring forming in the neck, I have never experienced that and I have been shooting these types of cartridges for over 20 years now.

It takes many cycles to to realize this,
I’ve currently got over 20 firings on some lots of .243AI brass and nearly that on a couple lots of .223AI brass, and have not had any donut issues.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
With the 2-12 Athlons I’d be hard pressed to ever get more SS 3x9’s. A few ounces more for the Athlon but the rest is a big improvement. Worth it to me.

Solid copy on the 162 loads.
Scott,

Fortunately, the 162 jumps nicely in my Montana 7-08, though I had the mag box and receiver opened up to 2.920” to allow a bit more latitude to play with.

A bit of data regarding drops and hard use. No SWFA 3-9x test yet, but the other SWFAs are a good indicator:
BTR 2-12x
https://www.rokslide.com/forums/thr...42-ahmr2-ffp-ir-moa.286981/#post-2830958

SWFA 3-15X
https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/amateur-mini-swfa-3-15-evaluation.265643/

SWFA 6x
https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/swfa-ss-6x42mm-mq-field-evaluation.278498/

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The 3-9's were never my cup of tea,but I ended up with too many anyway. Hint.(grin)

USPS Tracking says I'll have (4) more 2-12's arriving Monday,but I doubt the weather allows same..................
Stick,

I’m curious if you’ve done any rifle-hurl tests with a 2-12x yet? Seems the SWFAs might be more tenacious in holding zero, but I’m curious what you’ve seen.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Some cases would show little improvement. Some will show up much better.
I have the following “improved” chambers:

22-250AI
280AI
375 Whelen AI
375 H&H AI

I like the 375 Whelen AI mainly for the shoulder.

The 22-250AI is one of my most accurate rifles and is a virtual twin to the 220 Swift for case capacity.

The 375 H&H AI has slightly more capacity than the 375 Weatherby. Some say the extra power isn’t needed. But they probably don’t see a reason for the 378 or the 460 Weatherby’s either.

My 280AI in my opinion has the least advantage over the factory chambering.

The two I’d go “improved” in this bunch again is the 22-250 and the 375 Whelen.

I would not improve the 280 again!

If I were going to Africa to shoot Cape or elephant I’d consider the improved 375 H&H. I like this cartridge and I sold my other 375 H&H. Now I’m getting long in the tooth and really have no need for this much power. My 416 Rigby went down the road too.

Regarding the 243, I think improvement would be worthwhile. Partly because I dislike the long sloping shoulder.

Last edited by Bugger; 11/26/22.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 58 invisible), 2,491 guests, and 1,428 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,944
Posts18,480,168
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.