Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I have a plain 20-250 with an 18" barrel. 3850 with 40 grain bibs. Would work with your bolt face. Barrel life does suffer. You could just run your .243 and go with 80 or 85 grain barnes bullets. I have used those plenty to save fur.

GB1

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by BrentParker
I have a plain 20-250 with an 18" barrel. 3850 with 40 grain bibs. Would work with your bolt face. Barrel life does suffer. You could just run your .243 and go with 80 or 85 grain barnes bullets. I have used those plenty to save fur.
The 20-250 is the cartridge I'm going with.
I'm not trying to save fur, Just can't use any center fire cartridge larger than .20 cal in NY state restricted hunting zones.
I'm pushing the 40 Gr V max to 4,000 Fps in my 20 Practical with 4198 and if I can get near that with the 20-250 I'll be happy.
I'm looking at getting an 18" barrel too, as most of my shots are within 100 yards.

SJC

If Nobody Cares about Winning, Why Do They Keep Score ?
VL
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A pard has a 20-250 AI.

He is set up for and really likes the 50 or 55 grain Berger but I am pretty sure those are discontinued.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Think 22 BR necked down

X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
I have a .20-250 AI that I had built a few years ago. Had it throated and twisted for the .55 grain Bergers (now discontinued). In a 22 inch barrel it was easy to get over 4000 fps but I finally settled on 3910 fps for accuracy. It is/was an absolute hammer on coyotes and whitetails. Only used H-4350 and the 55's it was easy and accurate so no need to chase something that I didn't need.
Simple process to use a Redding bushing die then fireform with 39 or 40's to save the 55's.
Only downfall was expected barrel life!!!Mine is at 837 rounds and still going strong but it is showing some erosion and cracking. Knew it when it was built but what's the use in having a race car and not going fast? It will make 1K before barrel needs to be switched so there is a lot of coyotes and whitetails still in it.
I am using a Leopold CDS and with 1 revolution you can dead hold to 712 yards.
I don't think you would be unhappy with it at all.
Several of the boutique bullet makers can hook you up for bullets but if you need few pieces of fireformed brass and bullets let me know.
Regards,
John

How can I tell you bye if you wont leave?
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Big Stick
scoots,

You are in soooooo very fhuqking far over your pointy head and crossed-eyes,that it is simply fhuqking MAGNIFICENT. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even YOU can "afford" to "contribute". Hint.

Bullets matter wayyyyyyyy more than headstamps and 20's are a bitter pill. Hint.

You are pissing up ALOTTA ropes. Hint.............

poor rejected former children or juvenile delinquents, still starved for attention in their adulthood.

It ain't easy being Schtick.... him and Kim Jung Il are long lost brothers....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by shoots100
The 20-250 is the cartridge I'm going with.
I'm not trying to save fur, Just can't use any center fire cartridge larger than .20 cal in NY state restricted hunting zones.
I'm pushing the 40 Gr V max to 4,000 Fps in my 20 Practical with 4198 and if I can get near that with the 20-250 I'll be happy.
I'm looking at getting an 18" barrel too, as most of my shots are within 100 yards.

SJC

I shoot a 20 Practical also.

one product you may not be familiar with, but Hornady makes neck sizing dies, in both a short and long version...
I've got 4 or 5 of them, and got them from the factory IIRC, for about $20.00

I think they still make one in 20 caliber. It would be adjustable for multiple different calibers., as you are only sizing the neck. Long and Short versions are dependent on the length of the base caliber you are using...

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1011096636

https://www.opticsplanet.com/hornady-neck-size-die.html

either 243 or 22.250, or even like 6 BR or 22 BR, it should be easy to neck any one of them down to 20 caliber.

If you use either one of the 22 cal cartridges, the 22.250 or the 22BR, a 22 caliber die in that cartridge, remove the spindle and then size down, which will also size the body down.. then use the neck sizing Hornady die to size down the neck, this way you are using the 22 caliber die as a body die.

For seating the 20 caliber bullet, a 22 caliber seating die works just fine...

For my 20 practical, this is how I load for it...223 die for body die, 20 cal Hornady Neck sizer to neck down the neck ( that is all I had to buy), and then use a 223 seating die to seat the bullet...

having the 223 dieset all I had to buy was the 20 caliber Hornady Neck sizer for $20.

If doing a 22.250 necked down to a 20.250 ( I have those die sets also, from several manufacturers), same thing... pull the spindle out of the full length sizing die, for the body, and then use the neck sizer from Hornady for the neck, and then the seating die for the 20 caliber bullet...

Been loading my 20 Practical this way for 10 plus years....

Good luck on your project..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

barrel life issues... use one of the faster powders, and load it down, such as using 25 grains of 4198, if you are using a 22.250 case...
hence why I just built the 20 Practical....

Douglas use to list a 20.250 barrel available..., which should go on a Savage 10 or Axxis with no problems.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A friend shoots the 20-250. The thing is an absolute laser and has destroyed boatloads of coyotes.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'd like to find a 20 cal cartridge that's based off of the .473 OD rim dia of the

I recall reading about something called a ".20 Satan" which was the 6.5x47 case necked down. The writer / developer was using 55 grain Bergers. I think that bullet has been discontinued.

I looked into big cased .20s for a while and chose not to do it. The easiest is likely to be a .20-250. That's past the point of diminishing returns. .20 BR is most practical ballistically but getting them to feed in a repeater can be a real challenge. I had just lost the fight with a .22 BR repeater which was part of "not going there."

In the end, sticking with .204 seemed "best." Today .204 brass isn't as common as it was .. I'd probably look at something based on the .223 case instead. .20 Practical, 1-10 or 1-11 twist, fairly short throat. Have you considered contacting PTG or other about a replacement bolt with the .378" diameter bolt face so you can use your current action?

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by T_O_M
I'd like to find a 20 cal cartridge that's based off of the .473 OD rim dia of the

I recall reading about something called a ".20 Satan" which was the 6.5x47 case necked down. The writer / developer was using 55 grain Bergers. I think that bullet has been discontinued.

I looked into big cased .20s for a while and chose not to do it. The easiest is likely to be a .20-250. That's past the point of diminishing returns. .20 BR is most practical ballistically but getting them to feed in a repeater can be a real challenge. I had just lost the fight with a .22 BR repeater which was part of "not going there."

In the end, sticking with .204 seemed "best." Today .204 brass isn't as common as it was .. I'd probably look at something based on the .223 case instead. .20 Practical, 1-10 or 1-11 twist, fairly short throat. Have you considered contacting PTG or other about a replacement bolt with the .378" diameter bolt face so you can use your current action?
Bergers 55 gr. 20 caliber is available from Graffs.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Cite any/all words that you find "too big" or "too Technical" and I'll use lesser versions,just for you. Hint.

As an aside,STUPIDITY isn't an "advantage" and now even you "know". You are doing "Great!". Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!............
I'm looking for information, So please refrain from posting here if you have nothing to contribute or please contribute in a language that a mere mortal can understand ?

dznnf7 thanks for the reply.
I looked into the other 20 cals offerings, but the multiple forming steps and magazine feeding issues are a turn off, not to mention the price of the brass you need to form them from.
Not a fan of the 17 cal.
Have had no issues killing coyote with the 40Gr V max and I have a lot of them, so I'd like to stick with 20 cal.

Have you considered the .20 Titan? 6.5 Grendel necked down to .20. I think Todd Kindler sells brass and dies. Berger is still making their 55 grain pill in .204. Its a flat shooter. They do a big run once a year ('bout September, I think). The .20 Titan will push the 55 grainers to about 3500 fps I think. Another option is .20 BR. Saubier.com has some threads on both cartridges I think. If you want to PM me, I can send you some stuff on the .20 Tian.

Tarquin
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Seafire

barrel life issues... use one of the faster powders, and load it down, such as using 25 grains of 4198, if you are using a 22.250 case...
hence why I just built the 20 Practical....

Douglas use to list a 20.250 barrel available..., which should go on a Savage 10 or Axxis with no problems.

Douglas can chamber you a .20-.250, .20 Titan and I think .20 BR. You'll want a 9 twist barrel. Love Douglas tubes.

Tarquin
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Seafire
scoots,

You are in soooooo very fhuqking far over your pointy head and crossed-eyes,that it is simply fhuqking MAGNIFICENT. Hint.

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even YOU can "afford" to "contribute". Hint.

Bullets matter wayyyyyyyy more than headstamps and 20's are a bitter pill. Hint.

You are pissing up ALOTTA ropes. Hint.............

poor rejected former children or juvenile delinquents, still starved for attention in their adulthood.

It ain't easy being Schtick.... him and Kim Jung Il are long lost brothers....

grin grin grin

Tarquin
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by xtriangle
I have a .20-250 AI that I had built a few years ago. Had it throated and twisted for the .55 grain Bergers (now discontinued). In a 22 inch barrel it was easy to get over 4000 fps but I finally settled on 3910 fps for accuracy. It is/was an absolute hammer on coyotes and whitetails. Only used H-4350 and the 55's it was easy and accurate so no need to chase something that I didn't need.
Simple process to use a Redding bushing die then fireform with 39 or 40's to save the 55's.
Only downfall was expected barrel life!!!Mine is at 837 rounds and still going strong but it is showing some erosion and cracking. Knew it when it was built but what's the use in having a race car and not going fast? It will make 1K before barrel needs to be switched so there is a lot of coyotes and whitetails still in it.
I am using a Leopold CDS and with 1 revolution you can dead hold to 712 yards.
I don't think you would be unhappy with it at all.
Several of the boutique bullet makers can hook you up for bullets but if you need few pieces of fireformed brass and bullets let me know.
Regards,
John

As stated, the Bergers are still available through Graff and Sons.

Tarquin
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
2023 Update;
Bought a Savage Impulse chambered in .308 for the donor.
Bought a 20-250 1-9 twist bull barrel and 500ct 55 bergers on another forum.
Bought the necessary die and bushings to form the brass.
Bought some new Win brass for loading, as the 22-250 brass I have is old with unknown load count, but was perfect for use as sizing fodder.
I tried sizing the neck in one step, like I do with my 20 practical, but sizing 20-250 brass is a two step process.
Loaded up some rounds with H4350 and sighted it in with my backup AGM Adder TS35 384 thermal.
Three shot's touching at 100 yards.
Found that the AI mags needed some tweaking for reliable feeding.
Went out coyote hunting and didn't see a thing.
Maybe this weekend I'll find a willing participant.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by shoots100; 02/21/23.

If Nobody Cares about Winning, Why Do They Keep Score ?
VL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How did the 20-250 come out? I have a buddy that shoots one. He also shoots a 20 br.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
It's funny how everyone just ignores Big Stick's posts like he's not even there. But he keeps posting. It reminds me of my little Yorkie that tries to get my attention when I come home from work. Jumping on my leg.

Tony

Run it up, until you blow it up, then back it down a bit.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

644 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 80 invisible), 2,709 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,478
Posts18,471,694
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.