Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Why shoot a 7 mag if you not running it on the edge.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
STUPIDITY has no "edge" and is simply to the fhuqking bone,as you obliviously quantify. Hint.

For even more oblivious HILARITY,cite the particulars of your "Edge" rifle and the ammo associated. Then dangle a picture of the Goat Fhuqk,to knock it out of the park. Dare ya'. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by LFC
Looks like you have two shoulders....
Originally Posted by LFC
I shot a 7mm mag for years stoked full tilt....neck sized only without any issues. The primer pockets will be the first thing to go.

After about 3 loadings I just pitched the brass.

The belted magnums head space on the belt....why the need to bump the shoulder ?
You sort of missed the boat, here. Headspacing on the belt can cause excessive case stretch through the body, leading to case-head separation, etc. Creating a false shoulder allows the case to headspace on the false shoulder and fireform, so that it headspaces on the shoulder-proper on subsequent firings.

The bottom line is that brass lasts 15+ firings, if taken care of.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by LFC
Originally Posted by LFC
I shot a 7mm mag for years stoked full tilt....neck sized only without any issues. The primer pockets will be the first thing to go.

The belted magnums head space on the belt....why the need to bump the shoulder ?
You sort of missed the boat, here. Headspacing on the belt can cause excessive case stretch through the body, leading to case-head separation, etc.

Only if it has excessive headspace in the first place (on the belt). Using the shoulder instead for headspacing can help fix this problem.

Not an option for something using a case without a shoulder, like 458WM for example, but the cases in a 458WM with proper headspace will last for yonks, until the neck cracks (typically).

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by LFC
Originally Posted by LFC

You sort of missed the boat, here. Headspacing on the belt can cause excessive case stretch through the body, leading to case-head separation, etc. Creating a false shoulder allows the case to headspace on the false shoulder and fireform, so that it headspaces on the shoulder-proper on subsequent firings.

Loading full power 7 mag loads the primer pockets will start seating too easy long before 15 firings.

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Then you're beyond full power.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by LFC
Originally Posted by LFC

You sort of missed the boat, here. Headspacing on the belt can cause excessive case stretch through the body, leading to case-head separation, etc.

Only if it has excessive headspace in the first place (on the belt). Using the shoulder instead for headspacing can help fix this problem.
True, but that's often the case (see what I did there?) with belted magnums.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by mathman

I'm not talking loose to the point of not staying in...I'm talking loose to the point that you can feel it when you seat the primer.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
When you use a neck size die it doesn't touch the shoulder....essentially the case/shoulder is fire formed to the chamber so why the need to bump the shoulder unless you're having a clambering problem ?

Which I never had.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by LFC

I'm not talking loose to the point of not staying in...I'm talking loose to the point that you can feel it when you seat the primer.
If you can just barely tell that the pocket is looser than virgin when seating a primer, then the case is still good to go.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by LFC
When you use a neck size die it doesn't touch the shoulder....so why the need to bump the shoulder unless you're having a clambering problem ?

Which I never had.
One way to approach it is to only bump shoulders when chambering starts to get tight. Another way is to bump every time in order to increase consistency in case dimensions from firing to firing.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
People were loading deadly accurate ammo before bumping the shoulder was ever thought of....the 7mag is a belted case and doesn't head space on the shoulder.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by LFC

If you can just barely tell that the pocket is looser than virgin when seating a primer, then the case is still good to go.

That's your opinion

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by LFC
People were loading deadly accurate ammo before bumping the shoulder was ever thought of....the 7mag is a belted case and doesn't head space on the shoulder.
That's only one aspect of consistent dimensions. The other is feeding reliability.

It does if you savvy extending your brass life.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by LFC
Originally Posted by LFC

That's your opinion
That's my experience.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by LFC
When you use a neck size die it doesn't touch the shoulder....so why the need to bump the shoulder unless you're having a clambering problem ?

Which I never had.
One way to approach it is to only bump shoulders when chambering starts to get tight. Another way is to bump every time in order to increase consistency in case dimensions from firing to firing.

A Forstner neck size shoulder bump bushing die only touches the shoulder and the neck most dies people are bumping the shoulder with are also sizing parts of the rest of the case some.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by SDupontJr
5) I’ve seen RCBS dies, Redding and Lee Collet dies that folks have used. Anyone better than the other? I’m using 308 RCBS dies in my Hornady Lock N Load press. Haven’t bought the dies yet so open to all options.

A few years back I got into neck bushing dies....I'm now shooting a 300 wsm.
I have two micro dial seaters a Forster and a RCBS Gold Medal Match....I really like the RCBS....I have 3 sizing dies for the 300 wsm an RCBS Gold Medal Match neck only bushing die a Forster shoulder bump neck bushing die and a Forster full length die. With those 3 sizing dies I can do most anything to a case. On the bushing dies I'm not running an expander button on either die.
They're all pricey but when it comes to dies you get what you pay for....most of my loaded ammo is running .000 run out a few measure .0005 on a Sinclair digital concentricity gauge.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
This is all good info being I've never loaded a belted case.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by LFC
Originally Posted by LFC

There is some benefit on the initial fire forming to keep pressures in and around 50 000 psi or low 'node'.

This tends to harden the case head thus prolonging primer pocket integrity.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[/quote]

There is some benefit on the initial fire forming to keep pressures in and around 50 000 psi or low 'node'.

This tends to harden the case head thus prolonging primer pocket integrity.[/quote]

I have started doing this with match brass and it appears to be helping so far, I shoot some mid range matches for the first couple of loadings at the lower pressure/ node.

Last edited by MikeS; 11/30/22.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

675 members (12344mag, 117LBS, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 71 invisible), 2,788 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,979
Posts18,480,890
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.