Everyday Hunter
GB1

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
The upside to a well-designed FFP reticle is that there is no downside. smile

This is the bottom line. There are so many FFP in the lower price ranges with poorly designed reticles that are barely functional at low power in low light. Jordan nailed it. Getting a FFP scope with a properly designed reticle is never a mistake. A FFP scope with a poor reticle design, and there are many out there, is always a mistake.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by FSJeeper

This is the bottom line. Getting a FFP scope with a properly designed reticle is never a mistake.

Agreed.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
From purely a technical/engineering standpoint would a FFP be more inherently robust compared to a SFP?

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
From purely a technical/engineering standpoint would a FFP be more inherently robust compared to a SFP?
In the sense that FFP is not subject to the same magnification-dependent POA shift that can sometimes be a problem with SFP, yes.

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Thanks Jordan.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
In the sense that FFP is not subject to the same magnification-dependent POA shift that can sometimes be a problem with SFP, yes.

Could SFP (or FFP for that matter) also cause parallax issues if the lenses are of poor quality or not properly aligned?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Will schit scopes,whether SFP or FFP,effect POA/POI intersections? Yep. Hint................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by T_Inman

Could SFP (or FFP for that matter) also cause parallax issues if the lenses are of poor quality or not properly aligned?
POA shifting with parallax adjustment can occur with either SFP or FFP scopes. BTDT with both.

W
WAM Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
A couple of friends got sucked in to the Q-F FFP upgrade. Neither one of them can hit a bull in the butt with a banjo. If you like cluttered reticles and a barely visible reticle at low power, go for it. I’m not saying the Q-F is a bad scope; I just don’t favor the cluttered reticle. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have both and prefer the SFP in the higher magnification target, varmint and rimfire variables. My 30mm Euro scopes on my deer and out west rifles are FFP and I like the 1.5-6x42 scope more than the 2.5-10x42 scope because the reticle size does not appear to change as much in relation to the target with the lower powered variable. I know that in the FFP the reticle size is always the same size in relation to the target, but it just looks pretty darn thick at 10x in that 2.5-10x42 that I have. With the FFP there is no losing the crosshair against a brushy or dark background with those heavy outside crosshair sections leading to the finer center section. That hasn't been the case with the SFP crosshair in a Leupold 2.5-8x36 with the standard Duplex at first and last light. I don't shoot at long range or adjust a scope in the field, so the 30mm's increased adjustment or ability to bracket the animal to determine distance is completely lost on me.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You Amazingly STUPID Fhuqks are a hoot! Hint.

'Bout 6'. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Fhuqking LAUGHING!............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I love these discussions arguing between SFP and FFP. As a long-range competitor, I of course, favor SFP reticles because of the need to be as precise as possible at high magnification, 40X to 80X. I also appreciate a nice FFP for things like PRS and even most other pursuits. I also appreciate the use of SFP for hunting for many people.

Last year, an LPVO was released with a dual reticle. The March 1-10X24 has an SFP with a simple crosshair and an illuminated dot that's daylight visible. At low zoom, you really don't see the FFP reticle, but the SFP crosshair is great. As you crank up the magnification, the crosshair appears to grow a tree or a scale reticle, depending on which FFP you have.

You can see this in action here:
https://img.gg/TJqv9Gw

They have just announced a new riflescope with a dual reticle, the March-FX 1.5-15X42 DR. It will be available in FFP or DR. Yeah, it's a 34mm tube.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by FSJeeper

This is the bottom line. There are so many FFP in the lower price ranges with poorly designed reticles that are barely functional at low power in low light. Jordan nailed it. Getting a FFP scope with a properly designed reticle is never a mistake. A FFP scope with a poor reticle design, and there are many out there, is always a mistake.

I agree with this. I only speak from hunting and fun at the range, no competition of any kind. My centerfire rifles have FFP LRHS 3-12x scopes and I just can’t find a disadvantage over the SFP I’ve used in past. Of 4 big game animals I killed this last 2 months, one was 340 yds in open country, one was 60-70 yds in big Fir timber, one was 30yds in Poplar and brush, and the other was 12-15 yds in thick mixed forest. No problems seeing the reticle in any of those close shots. I have the benefit of using reticle subtensions at any power any time I want, even if it’s only at the range, and I have an easy to see, bold, heavy Duplex reticle at low power.
I used to have NF NXS 2.5-10x compacts on these same rifles and found the reticle was very hard to see in Timber/forest or low light without illumination.

My rimfires have SFP scopes and sometimes I screw up when dialing after measuring with the reticle, forgetting that they’re SFP ha ha. But that’s my problem and not a scope problem.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mod7rem
My rimfires have SFP scopes and sometimes I screw up when dialing after measuring with the reticle, forgetting that they’re SFP ha ha. But that’s my problem and not a scope problem.
Maybe, but the scope doesn't make it any easier to deal with the problem. wink

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
FTR said it pretty Cleanly ….

IF seeing things is important - GO Second Plane, because First plane add’s aberrations and other optical challenges that second planes don’t have to contend with…

I.E. - if you are spinning anyway, and you are old (bad eyes) or just shooting something FAR FAR away…
- pick a good second plane reticle you can see at the Mag you want and rock and roll…

the rest is personal preferences of how much noise you want around the impact zone to call your own shots…

smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The 8x56 Schmidt & Bender.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
839.00 from Optics Trade.
A4 reticle.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc].
I prefer a fixed or a FFP for hunting.
And have for many years.

dave

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The 10-60x52 March
SFP . Say at 40x in the pic
Coyote target is at a grand.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I prefer SFP for target work.

dave

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I’ve never understood the advantages to either one. I’m not even sure what I’m used to, other than I like a thin crosshair. I grew up with an old Pentax Lightseeker. No idea what it is.

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

174 members (2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 45_100, 32 invisible), 2,203 guests, and 1,042 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,704
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.