Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Dunno if you watched the video, or whatever, but the reason you noticed an improvement in accuracy with neck-sizing was NOT due to neck-sizing only. Instead it was due to the excellent job Lee Collet Dies do of keeping case-necks aligned with the rest of the case--whether it's FL sized or not. The Lee die does this despite variations in case-neck thickness.

But the reason "standard" full-length sizing often results in larger groups is NOT due to FL sizing itself, but the side-effects of using typical inexpensive FL dies--without checking whether the case necks (or seated bullets) are properly aligned with the case body.

I’d suspect it has far more to do with neck tension than runout.

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
This topic is fascinating with a wide range of views from huntnshoot claiming you can neck size forever without bumping the shoulder back and pete53 claiming you are a fool if you don't Full length size every time.....
I watched the video and was glad to see Lou Murdica on it, haven't shot with him in a year or two.
One thing most don't understand is that most competitors in any shooting discipline use custom actions and shoot hot loads above saami specs. I know from shooting benchrest that you have to full length size because you wouldn't get the case back in the chamber just neck sizing (not even using huntnshoot's methods).
On the other hand I have a few varmint rifles 222,223 and 204 that I use a Lee collet neck sizing die for several shots before setting the shoulder back, no absolutes one way or the other but common sense goes a long way

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
no matter the method if I was having run out issues the first thing I would do is Google up and study how to square a die..

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by shaman
Should I use the Lee Collet Die to size these rounds? Why or why not?

My answer: I figure I can use the Collet Die for maybe 4-5 loads before I need to do a full-length size-- probably about the time I give them another annealing. However, this is the first time I've gone down this road.

I don't think you will feel satisfied until you do what you want. Your answer is the correct one. Everyone else is providing what works for them or what they believe is the best. But is it the best for you? You can read all these suggestions, but in the end, it comes down to what fits your situation.

Cheers.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mathman
I did fine bushing sizing Lapua brass to .336", but still not as straight as my honed out Forster FL die does it.

Glad your honed Forster worked out. The one they did for me was a disaster with my Lapua brass, .335" is the max they would hone to for me.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell

My answer: I figure I can use the Collet Die for maybe 4-5 loads before I need to do a full-length size-- probably about the time I give them another annealing. However, this is the first time I've gone down this road.

I don't think you will feel satisfied until you do what you want. Your answer is the correct one. Everyone else is providing what works for them or what they believe is the best. But is it the best for you? You can read all these suggestions, but in the end, it comes down to what fits your situation.

Cheers.
There are certainly as many "correct" answers as there are answerers.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell

Cheers.
There are certainly as many "correct" answers as there are answerers.

He has asked for opinions, but he has to come to his own correct answer.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
good luck with Murphy`s law if you neck size or you use cheap dies !

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you want to find stuff out, you have to do other stuff. This video explains it nicely. wink

Good shootin' -Al

https://youtube.com/shorts/EYEDD2l0YUw?feature=share

Forbidden Zoner
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by dan_oz
I only neck size, and don't ever FL size rifle brass any more. If you use the Lee Collet die and segregate brass according to the rifle it is fired in there should be no need. Brass needing to be FL sized to "bump the shoulder back" indicates an issue with the way you are sizing - it will come out of the chamber slightly smaller than the chamber, so if it won't go back in that is usually due to something you did in the reloading process.

The reasons I prefer neck sizing are not confined to accuracy. There's less working of the brass, and less likelihood of case head separations.

I have brass which has gone through literally dozens of loading cycles without ever being FL sized. It does get regular neck annealing. Case life appears to be limited by primer pockets not staying tight (not much of a problem if you don't try to load too hot), neck cracks from not neck annealing often enough, and losing cases in the field.

Neck only.

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
If you want to find stuff out, you have to do other stuff. This video explains it nicely. wink

Good shootin' -Al

https://youtube.com/shorts/EYEDD2l0YUw?feature=share

Very good ! I think I'm about done f uckin' around.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by pete53
if you watch the video and still feel neck sizing is a better way to reload your ammo > you need to re-watch and listen to this video again. there can be a pressure problem when you just neck size your brass and why would anyone wanna get hurt or ruin his rifle by getting extreme pressure from neck sizing ?

I must have missed it, but where do the pressure problems come from when neck sizing instead of FL resizing?

I have dedicated brass for each rifle that I reload for, so the ammo, whether factory or handloaded, is never fired in a different chamber.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer
(ahem!)

Let me let you in on a little secret.
"IF" you're reloading for a Ruger No.1, full length size all your brass.
Neck size twice and the case will no longer chamber.

I have owned at least a couple dozen Ruger No. 1s, made from the 1970s to very recently, and have NOT found that to be universally true. Or even generally true.....

The No.1 I have won't accept neck sized cases.
I had a H&R Handi-Rifle that neck sized cases would stick.
Switched both rifles to FL dies. Never had another stuck case.
The No.1, you couldn't chamber a neck sized round.
The Handi would accept a neck sized round, but wouldn't extract the fired case...unless it had been FL resized.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
if you watch the video and still feel neck sizing is a better way to reload your ammo > you need to re-watch and listen to this video again. there can be a pressure problem when you just neck size your brass and why would anyone wanna get hurt or ruin his rifle by getting extreme pressure from neck sizing ?

I must have missed it, but where do the pressure problems come from when neck sizing instead of FL resizing?

I have dedicated brass for each rifle that I reload for, so the ammo, whether factory or handloaded, is never fired in a different chamber.

I believe there's a misunderstanding or misinterpretation in this.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

That's likely way over pete's pin sized head.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by JGRaider

> maybe someday you will understand the correct way to reload ammo with full length resized brass ? with your negative comments feeling tuff behind a keyboard you won`t learn much >> but maybe try to be a little positive you might learn something ? if you want people`s respect act like a man, quit this boyish crap you look very foolish with your posts.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JGRaider

> maybe someday you will understand the correct way to reload ammo with full length resized brass ? with your negative comments feeling tuff behind a keyboard you won`t learn much >> but maybe try to be a little positive you might learn something ? if you want people`s respect act like a man, quit this boyish crap you look very foolish with your posts.

I've culled more big game animals with my reloads than you will in 10 lifetimes. Get a freaking clue.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
.002/.003 bump and rock on

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by tedthorn

Same here.

I do have one AR that I use a Redding body die for the bump and a Lee Collet die for the neck, just for the heck of it, and it works fine. Now that I think about it, I also do a Redding body die / Redding bushing neck die on a tight necked 6 br. No real reason, but it works plenty good enough for me.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by tedthorn
I used Lee collet dies for years, but now do the same as Ted.
Noticed to loss in accuracy. I use Redding or Forster does with a Co-Ax press. The problem with Lee.collet dies is that the cases become harder to chamber after a few firings. I prefer 100% functionality.

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 16penny, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 58 invisible), 2,394 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,141
Posts18,484,085
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.