Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by 5sdad
But as I understand it, if the prices included the actual cost of paying the help they would be so high that no one would consider paying them, and the business would fail - why does this not happen in the rest of the world? (Not arguing with you as you make perfect sense.)

The argument that they would fail if they had to pay their help is a bait and switch. It’s a bunch of BS that makes them more money. As you mentioned restaurants make money in other countries without this ridiculous system and a meal in Germany, the UK, or Japan doesn’t cost any more than one in US from my experience. They try to sell the idea because it increases their profit margin.

It’s really no different than the BS $300 “document fee” that car dealerships try to tack onto the price when you buy a car. They try to paint it as a necessary expense but in reality it’s just pure profit and they’re hoping you’re a sucker who will fall for it. Filling out paperwork is a part of almost any transaction, I’m not paying you extra to do your job.

It really is a ludicrous system and until you travel like I do you don’t realize what suckers we are. Just look at the number of guys on this thread that buy into it.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Teal
How is - "Businesses figured out years ago they could shift the labor cost of their employees onto the customers" different than "Just like every other business, they pay their employees a wage and charge enough to cover the costs & make a profit"- given its the customer paying in both instances.

It’s marketing. It’s a lot easier to get someone to pay $49.50 and leave a $15 tip than to have him see $65 on the bill. Our lizard brains think we’re getting a better deal with the first when in reality it’s the same. It’s the same reason prices in stores are $9.99 instead of $10.

It’s a way to make someone think they’re getting something for 20% less than they’re really paying.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
There are a lot of cheap bastards out there that tip little or nothing. Blacks and orientals are the worst, Meskins are cheap too

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by hanco
There are a lot of cheap bastards out there that tip little or nothing. Blacks and orientals are the worst, Meskins are cheap too

That’s because Mexicans and Orientals don’t usually tip much or any where they’re from, they’re not used to our system. Blacks are just blacks, they’re always going to try to get something for nothing.

Watch a Frenchman or an Australian at a restaurant in the US, they’re not going to tip more than about 5% either.

And before anyone says it, I’m a very good tipper in the U.S. I’m not going to stiff the waitstaff because of a screwed up system. I just recognize how fugged up and out of control it is because I travel overseas all the time. We’re the only place that does this stuff.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Some things just get out of hand. Along with my dinner I usually order a glass of wine for my wife and myself. They charged $18 a glass. $36 for two glasses of wine is just silly but then you can add on the 8.75% sales tax, and don't forget to add on the 20% gratuity for putting the glasses on the table, and lastly add another 3% because I had the audacity to put our dining experience on my matercard. That's just for a single round which is rare. Two glasses of wine each adds nearly $100 to the bill when all is said and done.

Overall, restaurant prices around here are way up. Then you add all the fees associated with eating out and the bill gets very high rather quickly. As much as I like to go out once in a while, I feel like I'm getting fleeced at every turn.

IC B2

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

This, really. Though there are plenty of skinflint's of every race. The love of money runs deep and selfishness is a common human trait.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WMR
This, really. Though there are plenty of skinflint's of every race. The love of money runs deep and selfishness is a common human trait.
So if I'm careful with expenditures I'm a skinflint? Small expenses and tack-ons is what makes you broke, the big stuff is easy to see and control. My wife tips when we eat at a place we get waited on but I'm keeping my money in my pocket when I can. As I said earlier I go to places where I can walk up to the counter, but some of them have the audacity to have a tip jar and a place on the ticket for tips.

Everybody has their hand out. Recently my security alarm company tried to tack on an extra $100 for swapping out the cell phone transmitter to 4G or 5G whatever that is. When I told them "no dice I have a service contract" they dropped it immediately.

The Fraternal Order of Police calls constantly wanting donations. I tell them I am retired LE and LE is well taken care of in benefits. Likewise all these not for profit NGOs and Veteran help groups. If you look into it there are huge salaries and fundraising costs associated.

The NRA quit calling finally.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by WMR
So if I'm careful with expenditures I'm a skinflint? Small expenses and tack-ons is what makes you broke, the big stuff is easy to see and control. My wife tips when we eat at a place we get waited on but I'm keeping my money in my pocket when I can. As I said earlier I go to places where I can walk up to the counter, but some of them have the audacity to have a tip jar and a place on the ticket for tips.

Everybody has their hand out. Recently my security alarm company tried to tack on an extra $100 for swapping out the cell phone transmitter to 4G or 5G whatever that is. When I told them "no dice I have a service contract" they dropped it immediately.

The Fraternal Order of Police calls constantly wanting donations. I tell them I am retired LE and LE is well taken care of in benefits. Likewise all these not for profit NGOs and Veteran help groups. If you look into it there are huge salaries and fundraising costs associated.

The NRA quit calling finally.

Though you may be a miser, it sounds more like you are a frugal person who appreciates the value of money and the importance of managing it. Being a good steward is not the same as being a tightwad. I guess the difference is in the heart. Tip jars where no personal service is rendered? Me neither. Well, maybe a little if the counter cutie smiles at me :-)

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

174 members (280rem_cm, 35, 2UP, 470Evans, 44mc, 375TN, 16 invisible), 1,608 guests, and 1,045 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,963
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.