Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Lee collet for .243.
Never had problems but got maybe 5 reloads before primer pockets werent as snug as I like.
THAT makes me cull brass ( right or wrong ).

Just hunt, so not concerned w brass life.
Hell i scrapped all my old .243 as I couldnt tell on some how many loadings ( info lost on some boxes ).
Junked em and just started w new batch.

Norma and WW. See which ones start dropping out, in about 5 yrs LOL

Last edited by hookeye; 12/02/22.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Who pulls the expander ball when FLS and then uses the Lee collet die?

All American

All the time
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The LCD mandrel is not an expander.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Three different rifles, Three different size cases. What could possibly go wrong? A loaded round solidly stuck in a chamber is not a pretty situation.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Stan V
Who pulls the expander ball when FLS and then uses the Lee collet die?

I see no merit in that procedure.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Me either, but thought I'd ask. smile

All American

All the time
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by pete53
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by pete53
if you watch the video and still feel neck sizing is a better way to reload your ammo > you need to re-watch and listen to this video again. there can be a pressure problem when you just neck size your brass and why would anyone wanna get hurt or ruin his rifle by getting extreme pressure from neck sizing ?

I must have missed it, but where do the pressure problems come from when neck sizing instead of FL resizing?

I have dedicated brass for each rifle that I reload for, so the ammo, whether factory or handloaded, is never fired in a different chamber.

That's likely way over pete's pin sized head.

> maybe someday you will understand the correct way to reload ammo with full length resized brass ? with your negative comments feeling tuff behind a keyboard you won`t learn much >> but maybe try to be a little positive you might learn something ? if you want people`s respect act like a man, quit this boyish crap you look very foolish with your posts.

I've culled more big game animals with my reloads than you will in 10 lifetimes. Get a freaking clue.

i don`t need to brag about anything ,but if you need or anyone else needs help understanding loading ammo many of us will try to help . good luck,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I never paid any attention to how straight my rifle handloads were until about a year ago.
After reading posts on here and other researching, maybe a couple PM’s to JB too.
I went ahead and bought a Redding slant gauge. The only bottleneck rifles I load for now are a couple 223’s, couple 308’s, a 30-06, and a 338 win. And the only dies I had for them were RCBS and Hornady. After I received the concentricity gauge I started checking my loaded ammo. Let’s just say I was very surprised at how crooked some of it was, and I checked 100’s and 100’s of them. Some I wound up pulling.
So then I ordered all new Forster FL sizing and seating dies. (I really didn’t want to get into the bushing dies). The new Forster helped loading straight ammo tremendously. But some were still not to my liking. And that I blame on the brass I use, Winchester, Remington, and some Hornady.
I wound up making a tool to straighten the loaded ammo that wasn’t up to par, it worked good for the most part. Any ammo that doesn’t load straight I know is because of the varied brass thickness. JB recommend the RCBS concentricity gauge because it’ll check neck thickness too, but I didn’t listen. I do like the Redding slant gauge though, simple tool. And I have since bought a ball mic, any brass that doesn’t load straight it definitely caused by uneven brass thickness.
Now after reading this thread I went ahead and ordered sets of Lee collet dies. I’ll see how they work on uneven brass. If I had it to do over again I’d probably just buy nothing but Lapua brass. And who knows those RCBS and Hornady dies may have loaded straight ammo with Lapua brass.

Last edited by HeavyLoad; 12/02/22.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Sometimes brass and dies don't work well together, even when both are good on their own. For example, the tightest necked 308 Winchester die in my collection is a Redding FL die. Used in the conventional manner it works very well with WW brass I have which has thin neck walls. It doesn't do as well with thicker brass like Lapua or Federal, even when my ball mic shows the necks to be good. Before anybody asks, yes I have the carbide expander ball and I do lube the inside of the case necks. For best results with thicker brass I need to remove the expander, size without it, install the tapered expander and push the necks over it in a separate operation. Even then the necks are being worked more than is necessary or ideal, though they are pretty straight.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
many years ago a very dear friend made some very special concentric gauges for his ammo company he made 3 of them for worked and 1 extra and that went to me . i still use this tool and that taught me the difference in neck sizing and full length brass sizing . shooting competition at 100 - 200 yards also was a huge help , 600 FTR and 1,000 yds. winter money shoots all help , but the biggest help was Jonny Bell answering my questions about guns and reloading while we drove to go fishing or hunting over 20 some years and my Uncle Stan both engineers at Federal Cartridge and some other employees that worked there they all were a great help.

Last edited by pete53; 12/02/22.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by BWalker
Originally Posted by tedthorn
.002/.003 bump and rock on
I used Lee collet dies for years, but now do the same as Ted.
Noticed to loss in accuracy. I use Redding or Forster does with a Co-Ax press. The problem with Lee.collet dies is that the cases become harder to chamber after a few firings. I prefer 100% functionality.

That's why you use a body die to bump shoulders when chambering gets tight. It's a very simple process.....neck size, bump shoulders as necessary. As mentioned before, I have rifle specific brass, and seldom need to bump shoulders at all.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
If you want to find stuff out, you have to do other stuff. This video explains it nicely. wink

Good shootin' -Al

https://youtube.com/shorts/EYEDD2l0YUw?feature=share
This is excellent information right here!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's why you use a body die to bump shoulders when chambering gets tight. It's a very simple process.....neck size, bump shoulders as necessary.

Redding Body Dies are really versatile and give a lot of options. I've got some that have been converted to bushing dies and some that I've opened the neck area up to size to a specific diameter. They are great for necking down cases as they can get all the way to the neck/shoulder junction if need be.

Lots of ways to skin cats with dies...basic math and some thinkin' gets you most of the way there. smile

FWIW, this is a standard Redding 243AI full length die that I modified to take a bushing and size all the way to the neck/shoulder junction:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Redding Body Die....converted it to take a bushing to size to .060 ahead of the neck/shoulder junction:

Another bushing conversion....this started life as a Redding small base Body Die:

Forbidden Zoner
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I feel so lame not having a machine shop of my own. grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mathman
I feel so lame not having a machine shop of my own. grin

Yes, that certainly helps. But like most people, I got by for a long time just using what I had to work with and thinking things through.

But there's just no 'magic' in dies. wink The die mfgrs. have a to make a product that works to size almost anything with that specific chambering....not an enviable position to be in.

90% of the hunters and general reloaders will be well served with quality, off the shelf dies from a reputable manufacturer. Just taking some time and doing some homework before buying anything solves most problems before they start.

The chambers are the wildcard followed by the customers themselves. With so many basic misconceptions, poor setup/adjustments and the resistance of many, many reloaders to actually measure and find out what's going on....it's no wonder that there are 'problems'...either real or perceived. crazy I'm amazed there aren't more issues that there are. Which in reality speaks to how a good a job most die mfgrs do with the dimensions of their products.

Good shootin' smile -Al

Forbidden Zoner
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I understand. I have six FL dies for 308 and they all do something a little different.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
90% of the hunters and general reloaders will be well served with quality, off the shelf dies from a reputable manufacturer. Just taking some time and doing some homework before buying anything solves most problems before they start.

Good shootin' smile -Al
True but I think it's closer to 99%.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
For 2 of the cartridges I load for. Anneal as needed. Wash inside neck w/bore mop and PVC solvent to remove loose fouling, never more. Lee Collet for the neck, Redding bump for the body to achieve 0.0015-0.002 headspace. Trim necks to datum on shoulder so all necks same length. Uniform inside neck chamfer. That's how I do it to serve my needs.

GOA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Blacktailer

Good shootin' smile -Al
True but I think it's closer to 99%.

Very likely. smile -Al

Forbidden Zoner
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by mathman
I have six FL dies for 308 and they all do something a little different.

I've noticed this happening myself. ^

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1936M71, 57 invisible), 2,507 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,196
Posts18,485,102
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.