Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by MrWilson
The upside to a well-designed FFP reticle is that there is no downside. smile

Specific examples please
Discussing the merits of the FFP design can be made into a rather long conversation. A list of scope models is an even longer conversation. Of what specifically are you asking for examples?

A list of ffp scopes with well designed reticle

GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Specific examples please
Discussing the merits of the FFP design can be made into a rather long conversation. A list of scope models is an even longer conversation. Of what specifically are you asking for examples?

What is your definition of "Well designed"

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Me or Jordan Smith ?

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Me or Jordan Smith ?

You

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I do not know. Was asking Jordan as he said there was no downside to a well designed ffp. I am asking for specific examples. All the ffp scopes I have seen are full of dots and dashes making them distracting and seem overly complicated to me.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I do not know. Was asking Jordan as he said there was no downside to a well designed ffp. I am asking for specific examples. All the ffp scopes I have seen are full of dots and dashes making them distracting and seem overly complicated to me.

😂😂😂

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
and on lower magnification reticle look awful small !

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I see. Just remember when you hold for anything to make sure you’re on the highest power!

I’ve screwed that up a time or two with my second focal plane scopes

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

A mil reticle or MOA will have the same marks in both FFP or SFP

FFP plane reticle are the same size in relation to the target at all powers. SEP reticle are not

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
I see. Just remember when you hold for anything to make sure you’re on the highest power!

I’ve screwed that up a time or two with my second focal plane scopes

Exactly.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Possibly up close fast shooting on moving targets?

Don't try this at home with FFP.
Looks fun!

Possibly, although I'm pretty sure this reticle would do just fine at that game. Similar to a red-dot sight on low magnification, with angular hashmarks visible on high magnification.

https://destinationtactical.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/1308535.jpg

All it takes is a clay bird thrower and a video camera.

Let's see the video. wink
I’ve made lots of running shots on game that were more difficult than shooting a floating clay at 25 yards. One of the reasons I’ve essentially stopped posting photos and videos on this site is that they are used and demanded by the loudmouths to somehow prove legitimacy or validity of one’s comments, although we saw with roundoak that even pics aren’t enough to prove much.

I don’t own an automatic clay thrower at the moment, but even if I did, and while it does look like a good time, I certainly wouldn’t post video of it here just to satisfy your insecurity.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Specific examples please

I listed a few examples above. Three of them offer the capability of using markings as an angular ruler, and for those that don’t need or want that functionality, the fourth is a simple S&B A7.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Short list of a few I use:

SWFA Milquad - 3-9x42 - won't count the 6x and 10x since they're fixed
S&B P3L - 3-12x42 Klassic - won't count the P3 since it's a fixed 6x42
S&B A8 - 1.5-6x42 Klassic
Nightforce FC-Mil and FC-MOA - NX8 1-8x24
Tangent Theta LRH MRAD - LRH 3-15x50
Bushnell LRHS - LRHS 3-12x44

All of these are well designed FFP reticles that I use on rifles that get used for hunting. I may wish to tweak things about any of them for my preference but they are well designed FFP reticles.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The following gives a little pictorial on one. Nothing as good as looking through but a reference:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt.../tangent-theta-owners-step-inside-please

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well-designed reticle?

Some are simple and some are complex. What qualifies as “well-designed” will be different for everyone depending on their needs and level of skill.

What’s funny is that some here will point to a reticle and say it’s “well-designed” and have absolutely zero clue as to the accuracy of the subtensions They just take the manufacturer’s word that a MIL is a MIL or an MOA is an MOA whether it be first or second plane and they have no way to confirm it.

For a second focal plane reticle, are the subtensions accurate on max power or something close? At what power are the subtensions double their value?

There are scopes with reticles that the subtensions are completely meaningless. It’s like producing a tape measure where all of the marks are meaningless; the 1/8” lines aren’t 1/8”s, the 1” lines aren’t actually 1” and so on.

If you don’t realize how important that is when holding over for drop or off for wind while trying to put an impact on a small target at range, think about it.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Well-designed reticle?

Some are simple and some are complex. What qualifies as “well-designed” will be different for everyone depending on their needs and level of skill.

What’s funny is that some here will point to a reticle and say it’s “well-designed” and have absolutely zero clue as to the accuracy of the subtensions They just take the manufacturer’s word that a MIL is a MIL or an MOA is an MOA whether it be first or second plane and they have no way to confirm it.

For a second focal plane reticle, are the subtensions accurate on max power or something close? At what power are the subtensions double their value?

There are scopes with reticles that the subtensions are completely meaningless. It’s like producing a tape measure where all of the marks are meaningless; the 1/8” lines aren’t 1/8”s, the 1” lines aren’t actually 1” and so on.

If you don’t realize how important that is when holding over for drop or off for wind while trying to put an impact on a small target at range, think about it.

Agree 💯%

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well-designed reticle?

Very true, as I mentioned above. To me, “well-designed” means that functionality for a given intended application isn’t sacrificed because of design oversights. That looks different for scopes with different intended applications.

Good point. Though it’s not difficult to confirm reticle subtensions with a few common items and a working knowledge of trigonometry.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well-designed reticle?

That sums up Reupold succinctly. Hint..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mcshunatona
Hi all,
I recently was the high bid for an auction at an RMEF banquet for a Quigley-Ford scope.
They are asking if I want to upgrade from 2nd to 1st focal for $200.
Basically go from a 4-16x 50 1” to a 5-20x 50 30mm.
It is going on my 700 BDL 7SAUM with a 24” barrel.
I doubt I will ever take a 500 yard shot while hunting.
Is it worth the upgrade for me? I have never had a scope like this so thought I should get some opinions.
My usual scopes are VX-3’s and such. Never had an opportunity to purchase a $2000 scope for a reasonable price before.

Thanks for any help you can be.
Have a great day!!

I would not spend the money on the upgrade for what you are going to use it for. I prefer SFP, but I am a normal range hunter. If I stretch it out, a rangefinder and a good dialing scope suffices.

Just can't get used to the small, fine reticle on low power, and the clutter, thickness on high power of FFP. Just me, and my personal preference.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All it takes is a clay bird thrower and a video camera.

Let's see the video. wink
I’ve made lots of running shots on game that were more difficult than shooting a floating clay at 25 yards. One of the reasons I’ve essentially stopped posting photos and videos on this site is that they are used and demanded by the loudmouths to somehow prove legitimacy or validity of one’s comments, although we saw with roundoak that even pics aren’t enough to prove much.

I don’t own an automatic clay thrower at the moment, but even if I did, and while it does look like a good time, I certainly wouldn’t post video of it here just to satisfy your insecurity.

How would you know the difficulty of the clay show when you admit you it is a shot you have never done?

Your failing to post pictures is telling as 'Pictures or it never happened" is a pretty common theme here on 24hrCF.

The reason so many laugh at LiL Fish is his failling to produce field pictures.

If you want to be taken more seriously in these discussion by those that know it might behove you to post some actual field pictures and/or video and less appeals to authority with "Ma PHD".

Until then you are just another poster talking about things you have never done.

Last edited by JohnBurns; 12/05/22.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

157 members (160user, 01Foreman400, 7887mm08, 300s, 2UP, 11 invisible), 1,617 guests, and 995 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,624
Posts18,474,085
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.