Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well, the old-timer's made another go of it. I swear, every trip is an adventure. Some times, before it even starts. We were due to leave on November 16th. On Nov. 15th , I was on my way to work at 5:30 AM, driving along in the dark and a huge doe decided to run out in front of me. I killed the deer, but my truck took a hard hit. I got it to the body shop and really thought it was totaled. It is a 2006 F150 with over 200,000 miles. AND I didn't think I was carrying collision ins. My wife had us covered. The damage was $3095, and change.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

We left on the 16th driving my wife's truck. We had over 275 miles to go to our first stop. Drummondville, Canada. It was a snowy miserable drive. Roads not plowed. There was one last mountain before Derby Line Vermont. The last town in the US before the border. I had just mentioned to my wife how patient all the driver's were following me were. All of a sudden a white Ram truck decided he wasn't happy and started passing everyone. Then I saw an orange and black tractor trailer following him. Well, the Doge lost it and spun out. He was broad side in front of the T/T and got T-boned. Parts of the truck went everywhere. Because of the road conditions I just couldn't stop safely. We went to customs and told them. They were happy I didn't get involved.

The next day we headed to Mont-Joli and it was still snowing. The whole trip was a little over 600 miles. My top speed was 50mph.

We spend a couple days down time in Mont-Joli. We were scheduled to fly out on the 20th, but because of the conditions the plane couldn't fly. Consequently, we lost our first day of hunting.

We did fly on the 21st. Got our licenses and drove 90 more miles to camp. We couldn't believe it. There was over 30" of snow and STILL coming down.

Next morning we were out and on 4 wheelers. WAY too much snow to travel that way, especially for two old dubs like us, but we did it. Considering the conditions we saw allot of deer. I managed a nice 8 pointer.

That was all the action for me on that day.

The next day, you guessed it. MORE snow, But even with the conditions. my wife caught a break right around lunch and the skies broke. She spotted this nice 8 and with one shot it was DRT

Also on day 2 something happened to me that was a first. I wasn't so fortunate to have the same break in the weather my wife did. I was in a tree stand and saw a doe step into the edge of a clearing. I looked it over and said I would kill this and be done. I thought it over for a couple minutes and made the decision. What I didn't see was the skipper right behind her. I shot once. She was about 95 yards and it took me a full 45 minutes to walk through the snow to get to her. I shot her through the neck. The bullet went through her and hit the skipper in the right front shoulder. 2 dead deer with one shot. On Anticosti there is a "group" hunt where everyone in the party signs a form allowing no empty tags. We were back at the camp tagged out by 3PM.

A nice ending to the trip was a stop at my son's butcher shop where he and my wonderful granddaughter cut up our four deer for us.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Glad you guys had a great trip. I look forward to reading your adventures there every year.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Great report! Thanks for sharing and congrats on the deer!

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Man-that's a lot of snow. Well done to you both...funny looking 99 smile

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Great job tagging out with all that snow!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Outstanding and congrats to you and your bride. Those seem like some of the bigger horned deer you've killed there in the last some odd years.

What if Jessie's girl is Stacy's mom, and her phone number is 867-5309
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by LEADMINER
Man-that's a lot of snow. Well done to you both...funny looking 99 smile

Before I got serious about collecting 99's I have to admit I was in love with Remington pumps. I still several 870's and 760/7600 pumps. My son is a Remington guy through and through. He was quite verbal that he wanted me to kill a deer with the Whelan. I loaded up some 200 grain round nose bullets and it was actually fun to shoot it. Hopefully God will let me stay around for next year and I'll be at it again with a 99.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Ha-you "Whelenized" em! Good going. I shot my first with the W. last week and am taking it to Iowa next week. Not a pump but seems to be a good thumper. Will look forward to some 99 stories next year.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by LEADMINER
Ha-you "Whelenized" em! Good going. I shot my first with the W. last week and am taking it to Iowa next week. Not a pump but seems to be a good thumper. Will look forward to some 99 stories next year.

If I live long enough, my wife and I will be there. I had a 99 with me, but it was all over before I knew it. Prices have gone WAY up and after 48 years on the same job, FJB and his shrewd leadership is about to put an end to that.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am happy for both of ya'll for getting to go on that hunt , killing stuff is fine but much better when both of you get it done congrats

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I hope you can continue these trips. I have always enjoyed reading you stories about them. Congrats on persevering through the weather and all. Well done!

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
My favorite story of the year and it was worth the wait. Congrats to you and the Mrs.

Camp is where you make it.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Nicely done! Congrats to both of you. One few great threads every year.

Can't wait for next year's stories. Thank you for sharing.

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dave_Spn
Outstanding and congrats to you and your bride. Those seem like some of the bigger horned deer you've killed there in the last some odd years.
Racks were far better and body weight has increased as well. But with the way this winter has started I think winter kill will be up as well.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
You guys are ALL great. I appreciate all the kind words. And, as far as my wife goes, she pushes her limits. We had a few scary instances this trip, but she took them in stride. I am happy she hunts with me.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Nice work gristle!! I love the fact you and momma are still gettin after it. Look forward to your report/pics every buck season. Thanks pard.👊🏻

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
You guys are ALL great. I appreciate all the kind words. And, as far as my wife goes, she pushes her limits. We had a few scary instances this trip, but she took them in stride. I am happy she hunts with me.

You are a blessed man to have a wife like that.

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I always look forward to your hunts. I hope to read many more.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks for taking the time to take us along. I've never been to Anticosta, but back home a couple friends went every couple years. There were always trials and triumphs, but always a good story.
Life is an adventure to enjoy, it's our choice to enjoy it or not. You found another adventure!
Bfly.

Be nice and work hard, you never have enough time or friends.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Good pictures Steve. In Sept I don't miss the snow. I remember one year the snow up by the park was 8ft. I do miss the bucks chasing in Novembe.. Good report again.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
REALLY COOL LBK! A couple really nice Anticosti bucks! Many congrats on getting it done again!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Congratulations on a successful hunt. I'm glad you are safe after that hairy start. I look forward to you post every year. Thanks again and God bless you have many more years ahead hunting with your wife!

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
No better round in the Whelen than 200gr. RN bullets, I've taken several whitetails with my Win. M/70 Super Grade Whelen rebore. It produces a big hole, leaves an easy to follow blood trail though most times its a DRT. Last buck the bullet penetrated diagonally thru the chest coming to rest under the skin of the far shoulder. Perfectly mushroomed it retained 66% of its original weight. The load was a Ken Waters Pet Load utilizing IMR 3031, the load produces 3 shot cloverleaf groups @ 100yds. and dead deer. It has been my go to load for many years now.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good work!

Yup.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by diamondjim
Originally Posted by Longbeardking

You are a blessed man to have a wife like that.

Jim, my wife says thank you.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BIG_JOE
Good pictures Steve. In Sept I don't miss the snow. I remember one year the snow up by the park was 8ft. I do miss the bucks chasing in Novembe.. Good report again.

Nancy and I miss YOU being there. I have nobody to share my morning coffee and talk guns and reloading.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Be nice to have a couple of cups of coffee, with you again one day! My only hunting trip out west I used a 35 whelen,on my elk and mule deer!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
We keep ourselves going to keep ahead of the inevitable. Friday we got the word my company is looking for people to take a "voluntary" buy out. The package is 26 weeks of pay PERIOD. If they don't get enough people to take it they say they are going to take "other" measures. I have been with them for 48 YEARS. I am not caving to 26 WEEKS. I am a stubborn s h i t. Push me and find out just HOW stubborn. I love our life the way it is. My wife is my high point. She trusted my to ride double on a four wheeler through all that snow. So scared I couldn't hear her speak, BUT she held on. I AM lucky. I will do my BEST to keep it that way. Thanks ALL.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Awesome! I bet it was a cardio workout tromping through the deep snow. A big pile of venison is well worth the effort. 👍

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I look forward to this report every year.
You and Mrs. LBK sure are tough ole birds. 😀💪🏼

Congrats, and thanks for sharing.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunswizard
No better round in the Whelen than 200gr. RN bullets, I've taken several whitetails with my Win. M/70 Super Grade Whelen rebore. It produces a big hole, leaves an easy to follow blood trail though most times its a DRT. Last buck the bullet penetrated diagonally thru the chest coming to rest under the skin of the far shoulder. Perfectly mushroomed it retained 66% of its original weight. The load was a Ken Waters Pet Load utilizing IMR 3031, the load produces 3 shot cloverleaf groups @ 100yds. and dead deer. It has been my go to load for many years now.

The load I use is from the Hornady Vol #2 manual an it is 51.1 grains of IMR 3031 with a Fed 210 primer. Velocity is 2385 FPS and has an energy of 2525 fp. I have used this load since 2007 but this time noticed a couple slightly flattened primers.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Thanks for the report, I always enjoy it. You’re a lucky man to have a wife like that, congratulations on your success this year. I’m a fan of the pumps it’s good the Whelen got it’s chance.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I like to see the stories every year you get to go. That much snow would be hard. Your wife is the best, love the pictures. 👍

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I always wanted to hunt Anticosti.Now I am too old.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Huntz
I always wanted to hunt Anticosti.Now I am too old.

You don't get old because you do things. You get old because you don't. Sepaq guides will take great care of you no matter WHAT your condition.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I will second that. Sepaq guides have been taking good care of this old fart for years.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BIG_JOE
I will second that. Sepaq guides have been taking good care of this old fart for years.

You ARE missed.

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Good tales of the hunt. Glad to hear that you made it despite a few misadventures. Who was your guide? In September I hunted with Jerome. The hunt was good. Will you go again next year? Next fall plan to go to another camp, one of the ones SEPAQ got from Safari, just for the change.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Our guide was Gabriel. He does a great job and loves pleasing his clients. He is only 26 and works his tail end off. As you know, the price skyrocketed but yes we are re-booked. You could not convince me to leave Chicotte. We really know the place like the palm of our hand. All the guide has to to is get us where we want to go and pick us up.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Congratulations on another great trip, Stephen & Nan !!!

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks to each of you for your comments. Hunting is one of the things that keep us going.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Congrats[again]!
Enjoy reading of your Anticosti adventures.

FJB & FJT
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
OH YEAH! Enjoy this write up every year.

Would love to experience Anticosti some day.

Arcus Venator
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Fantastic LBK! Always enjoy reading about your hunts there.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I always enjoy your Anticosti reports! Seeing your wife out there with you is inspiring. Hopefully down the road I will still be able to get my bride out in the field like you.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MedRiver
I always enjoy your Anticosti reports! Seeing your wife out there with you is inspiring. Hopefully down the road I will still be able to get my bride out in the field like you.

I hope you do. She goes because she loves it. Not to please me. She's the one that made me book for next year.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Excellent.

Molon Labe
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
You are truly blessed sir.
These are great stories every year,and sounds like you have a fantastic trip/hunt.
All the best to you both

Last edited by rong; 12/05/22.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Congrats, looks like another great trip!!

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
We have lots of fun reading your replies. Thanks again all.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Great report. Really enjoyed it.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I always enjoy your reports. I'm glad both of you are happy and well and had a good time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

94 members (44automag, 10gaugemag, 308xray, 300_savage, 41rem, 808outdoors, 12 invisible), 1,530 guests, and 918 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,723
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.