Hop To
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by pete53
Mule Deer , give us a truthful answer please = do you prefer to full length resize brass or neck size brass for hunting big game animals ? thank you , Pete53

Truthful. That’s rich coming from you:

i do have a 6.5 Creedmoor Fieldcraft rifle on order

give it up and try to be a little more positive

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by GreggH
My brass is always appointed to a specific rifle. I do not mix brass or use in multiple rifles. For factory rifles I neck size and shoot them until the get a little snug. I want the brass to fit the chamber. They are then run through a body die to bump the shoulder and annealed at that point. I have one rifle that is a wildcat (25 BR AI) that has a custom die for it. See no need to work brass unnecessarily.
I use only Forster and Redding dies for all of my factory chamberings.

GreggH

This is what I do.

I have multiple bins that identify rifle and number of firings. When I run out of, for example, Red Death 3x I process all the brass in the Red Death 4x bin.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Mule Deer , give us a truthful answer please = do you prefer to full length resize brass or neck size brass for hunting big game animals ? thank you , Pete53

Yeah, I generally FL size for big game rifles--but even if I don't, every case/round gets run through the chamber/rifle before I go hunting.

Use neck-sized or partial-sized cases a lot for high volume varmint shooting.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I’m not the bald-faced liar here, Paragraph Pete.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
Originally Posted by JGRaider
That's why you use a body die to bump shoulders when chambering gets tight. It's a very simple process.....neck size, bump shoulders as necessary.

Redding Body Dies are really versatile and give a lot of options. I've got some that have been converted to bushing dies and some that I've opened the neck area up to size to a specific diameter. They are great for necking down cases as they can get all the way to the neck/shoulder junction if need be.

Lots of ways to skin cats with dies...basic math and some thinkin' gets you most of the way there. smile

FWIW, this is a standard Redding 243AI full length die that I modified to take a bushing and size all the way to the neck/shoulder junction:

Redding Body Die....converted it to take a bushing to size to .060 ahead of the neck/shoulder junction:

Another bushing conversion....this started life as a Redding small base Body Die:

Al, I need someone to convert a SB body die to a bushing die. How hard is it to do that conversion?

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

I’m not the bald-faced liar here, Paragraph Pete.

oh the rifle is ordered , so does that mean when my 6.5 Creedmoor Fieldcraft rifle gets here you need a picture or wanna buy it ? to be more truthful your posts are very foolish grow up and try to be positive , you make people in the great state of Wisconsin sound dumb with your posts. what are you the little class clown ?

Last edited by pete53; 12/04/22.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Yeah, I generally FL size for big game rifles--but even if I don't, every case/round gets run through the chamber/rifle before I go hunting.

thank you for your comment .i do the same with my big game brass i full length resize or use new brass and check every loaded case rather it has been resized or new brass.
Pete53

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I do both! If I have a measured headspace over 2 thou with my brass I never PFLS because I don't need or want a shoulder bump. Once measured headspace is tighter than 2 thou I will bump to maintain 2 thou headspace. Sometimes I fire new brass as many as 3 times before I will bump. Some people seem to believe that there is some vast reason to PFLS other than maintaining headspace which also maintains seating depth distance to the lands. Most reloaders are not in the proper seating depth node to begin with so may or may not reap any reward by PFLS every time

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Why would anyone PFLS other than to maintain headspace? Maintaining headspace is maintaining consistency? Isn't that the goal?

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
My 35Rem is an odd one. I've not been able to set my FLS die because the fired cases never need it. Nothing but neck sizing at the moment even after 10 firings (9 reloads). I normally set my FLS die for minimal FL sizing but the cases have never been a tight fit to warrant it. Mild loads I guess. The cases still do stretch of course but it's negligable.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I've necked sized for all of my bolt rifles for years. I only full length size if getting a bit hard to chamber. But some of my brass has been necked sized six or seven times and it's still OK to chamber. My 280 brass has all been neck sized and I don't think I have ever used the FL die in 24 years. I do full length my 7x57, 303B and 9.3x62 cases as they are chambered in my Number 1s.

So much easier to dip the case necks in graphite powder and neck size than apply case lube, size and then wipe it off.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

thank you for your comment .i do the same with my big game brass i full length resize or use new brass and check every loaded case rather it has been resized or new brass.
Pete53

Ditto… Every case I load gets checked in the rifle for chambering before loading and after loading regardless of whether neck sized or FL sized. All my belted magnums for hunting are new cases also checked for chambering before pack up!

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by HeavyLoad
Isn’t most runout caused by brass thickness being uneven?

Many, many factors contribute to runout. With varying neck thickness, you cannot eliminate ALL runout. Additionally, you may find runout in different places so it is sometimes important to consider if there is runout where the cartridge fits the chamber, or runout where the bullet lies in relation to the cartridge itself. For instance, a cartridge fired from a given chamber should have next to zero runout in the neck taken from the outside circumference of the neck. Once it is sized, there will be runout due to neck thickness variation. Your technique may affect this greatly. Are you using an expander ball? How do you lubricate? Are you using a bushing or a fixed die?

For instance, using a floating bushing may induce slightly more than a fixed die because of tolerance stacking. In my experience it will amount to around 0.001" added after sizing if I am not using an expander ball. However, neck thickness variation is being pushed INWARD such that it will affect the bullet when seating. This may result in actually bullet runout of 0.003". What matters more, a bullet completely centered and straight to the case and chamber or a neck perfectly centering in the chamber? If I run that same piece of sized brass through a pin gauge or expander die, I may change that neck to runout to 0.003" but TIR taken at the ogive may be 0.002".

Which is more advantageous for precision? Well, it depends. Do you have a tight neck chamber? How much clearance does your neck have? Where are you in that case's life? Have you reached the point where the doughnut has expanded and it contacts the chamber's neck at the last portion of the neck that remains un-sized? Where is the shoulder of your case relative to the chamber? If it varies with every shot, how does that affect the seating node of the bullet?

In my experience (which my understanding of is evolving all the time), I've won a few PRS and F-Class matches, it is most advantageous to control as many variables at one time as you can. That means first, using good quality brass. Second, that means you want to do the same thing every single time. If you do those things, runout, within reason, has a minor effect on the rifle's performance. Typically, I don't even bother checking runout on a squared-away setup because even 0.005" TIR won't hurt performance when everything is done right, though its typically a little less than that.

My typical competition loading process is to use Lapua or Alpha brass and to anneal before any sizing takes place and do so every single time. The first firing or two, typically brass still expands and bumping the shoulder back probably isn't helpful but its totally possible that some random cases will expand to do so so the notion of not FL sizing cannot be ignored on a large batch of 100--there may be a few in there that will have difficulty chambering. Sometimes it isn't a bad idea to take a piece of brass and fire it two, even three times until you learn your chamber dimensions to determine how far shoulders should be set back before you do a batch of once-fired brass. Figure out that dimension and use that number with your comparator set. Shoot for 0.002-0.003" of set back. I do use a bushing without an expander ball, because I don't use custom sizing dies and I do not turn necks. For sizing lube, I will use Imperial and only lube the body and outside neck of the brass, I keep it off the shoulder. Following sizing, I use Neo Lube #2 inside the necks for lubrication and run through a separate mandrel die as to not affect concentricity or shoulder set-back as an expander ball being pulled back through the case may. Afterward, I trim, chamfur, and deburr all in one step with a motorized trimmer. These steps are quick, easy, and they produce the same dimension every single time. Consistency adds more for me than constantly varying brass and headspace dimension could ever do; especially considering the drawbacks of neck-only sizing as mentioned in previous posts.

Last edited by drop_point; 12/04/22.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Drop point , yes i bet you never have trouble with your brass and i can see you understand how to build accurate safe ammo , but some of these reloaders just are not going to change their ways . never have used Neo Lube #2 but that sounds like a good ideal , i have always brush the inside of the neck ,i may need to get some of that type of lube. good post,Pete53

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Thank you, pete, yes I am quite pleased with Neo Lube #2 if you ever get an urge to try it. Only downside is a bottle is over $20, but it will last a long time.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Drop Point, how are you applying the Neo Lube? I just got a bottle after seeing the results of using it on a video but I haven’t used any yet.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Drop point , is Neolube #2 applied every time ? or applied only once in a while ? i watched video on how to apply already and am going to order some i see a advantage using Neolube . thank you ,Pete53

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Drop Point, how are you applying the Neo Lube? I just got a bottle after seeing the results of using it on a video but I haven’t used any yet.

Drop point , is Neolube #2 applied every time ? or applied only once in a while ? i watched video on how to apply already and am going to order some i see a advantage using Neolube . thank you ,Pete53

Neo Lube comes with a brush attached to the cap, so I'll turn the cap upside-down and take a cotton swab and dab it into the brush. Just ran that swab inside the case neck two or three quick turns. It will evaporate and leave a film behind. Its impossible to over or under apply it. I do it just before using the expander mandrel. It also makes seating smooth as butter with very consistent pressures. It does need to be done each time. I originally started wet-tumbling and noticed seating pressures were increased and all over the place. Then I switched to graphite powder in ceramic beads but it was inconsistent. I heard about Neo Lube from Keith on Winning in the Wind, and it really seemed to be the ticket.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks DP, I heard about the Neo Lube on the Bolt Action Reloading YouTube channel. He found it helped with uniform seating pressure, and found it to improve load ES, SD, and accuracy as well.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
No problem at all.

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 64 invisible), 2,584 guests, and 1,349 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,469
Posts18,471,386
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.