Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Originally Posted by Dale K
Gotta agree with bsa. If you have two powders on the bench at the same time, your system is flawed. Plus I never leave powder in the hopper. When I’m done loading, the powder goes back in the can.

Dale

Ditto.
One of the most important safety rules that my father taught me almost 40 years ago when I started loading with him.

Only ONE powder on the bench and place the container next to the powder measure.

Dyin' ain't much of a livin' boy - Josey Wales
HR IC

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by BBouncer5150
As the others have stated, you will be fine. Stuff happens...I'm currently shooting up a lb of Varget mixed with about a 1/4 lb of H4895.

Hopefully this isn’t the best shooting loads you’ve ever had! You’ll have to mix the powder like that again if it is. lol

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by sourdough44
Wasn’t it a ‘thing’ for some to go ‘duplex’? The idea being to mix a few powders at a certain rate to achieve the pinnacle of an accuracy node?

I thought there were those that tried to outsmart the powder companies. Maybe it was just incoherent blather at the gun counter? I could just see someone mixing powders of a similar rate then grousing over the accuracy.

I’ve never done it and never will. Sure it’s done (I’ve read some about guys making tri-plex loads too) but holy hell, some guns it’s hard enough trying to find the one powder that shoots perfect. Don’t even want to think about trying to find the correct duplex load! Cost of components could send me to the poor house in a hurry, not to mention the time.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
3 grains is not going to hurt anything. However, I don't know why you went from the uni flow to the chargemaster to weigh each powder charge. Hunter powder drops like water out of my uni flow. All you need to do is get the uni flow set to drop the proper charge weight and rock on. Your system is flawed and if you would have been doing it properly, that would not have happened.

When I started reloading 30ish years ago, dad taught me to trickle every charge up to the exact weight. We used what I would regard now as a sketchy Herter's powder measure. Fast forward about 10 years and I started talking to guys who simply set their powder measure to the average weight and then charged cases without measuring every one. Not believing this could possible result in the same level of precision we had by measuring each charge (just shooting hunting rifles, so MOA was good enough and 1/2 MOA was a great load), I did a side by side of each method with our favorite .30-06, .243, and .308 Win. loads using a Lyman 55 powder measure. Ten shot groups of each method with each gun at both 100 and 200 yards from a bench and went three for three with the average method (which I understand is referred to more of a volumetric measurement than weight/mass measurement) being the clear winner for group size at both 100 and 200 yards. I was sold. The only powder that I would use a trickler on these days is 4064 and I generally avoid using it because of this, though it's an excellent and versatile powder. I've since purchased a Harrel's powder measure because it's like operating greased glass, but the 55 still has a place on my bench for very small charges of pistol powder.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
This is a very good read for anyone

I liked don’t get on cruise control
Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

167 members (32_20fan, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 300_savage, 257_X_50, 1_deuce, 23 invisible), 2,748 guests, and 926 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,643
Posts18,533,658
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.