Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Have a big project at work. Pouring 100-200 yards of every few days, through winter.

Concrete company informed us we may not be able to do that much longer. We used to be able to order a week in advance and have trucks on site. We're no longer guaranteed to get mix until 24 hrs prior to the pours. That really throws a wrench in to a guys project schedule.

I'm calling BS on it and don't think they have the labor to get it to us. They say its because the Mississippi is low and they barges can't get in and the a lot of the cement comes from Russia and China. The origin of the cement has been known for decades. I thought the river deal was coming to and end but maybe not?

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It is low and the barges are having trouble

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I wouldn’t think the river situation will change till spring run off and rains, if then.

NRA Patron
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by tzone
Have a big project at work. Pouring 100-200 yards of every few days, through winter.

Concrete company informed us we may not be able to do that much longer. We used to be able to order a week in advance and have trucks on site. We're no longer guaranteed to get mix until 24 hrs prior to the pours. That really throws a wrench in to a guys project schedule.

I'm calling BS on it and don't think they have the labor to get it to us. They say its because the Mississippi is low and they barges can't get in and the a lot of the cement comes from Russia and China. The origin of the cement has been known for decades. I thought the river deal was coming to and end but maybe not?

Perhaps…. Here in Colorado there is a dam project that has priority on both trucks and concrete. Concrete contractors not associated with that project report that they cannot get their deliveries due to “lack of powder”…..ie, a shortage of cement. I had a small 23 yard pour get held up for weeks as the small contractor “could not get a place in line.”

All in all, it seems that by October, everybody finally got their mix and all the smaller contractors got mix needed for houses, apartments and smaller odd jobs. They did have delays and a few issues keeping their crews busy, but as far as I know everybody got pours done.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I quoted out #3,500 small stone mix last week in rural WV... for work this coming spring.

Same mix was $145 CY when I started in July 2021.

Price last week was $293 CY plus a double extra nasty fuel surcharge.

FJB

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Seems to be a regional thing. Son is in the biz and says no prob around KC at this time.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by TF49

Perhaps…. Here in Colorado there is a dam project that has priority on both trucks and concrete. Concrete contractors not associated with that project report that they cannot get their deliveries due to “lack of powder”…..ie, a shortage of cement. I had a small 23 yard pour get held up for weeks as the small contractor “could not get a place in line.”

All in all, it seems that by October, everybody finally got their mix and all the smaller contractors got mix needed for houses, apartments and smaller odd jobs. They did have delays and a few issues keeping their crews busy, but as far as I know everybody got pours done.

I can believe the small loads not getting a spot in the que because they're small and the large jobs are probably working on Saturdays as well.

If the river is the problem, this isn't going away anytime soon either. Unless we have a wet spring because there really isn't much snow either.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Your in better shape than here, north of Minneapolis.
My large buildings going up, I have been limited to 100 yards per week. So has everyone else including the major road builds.
Everyone has to have their will call in 10 days in advance. No exceptions.
Sounds like a lot of mud, 100 yards, but when pouring grade beams 16” x 40”, and slabs for 13,000 square ft plus buildings it doesn’t go far.
The chemical components for our concrete in this area generally come by ship thru the harbors at Duluth MN. I agree with the OP that labor shortage is a big component all the way along the supply chain.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The preacher man says it's the end of time
And the Mississippi River she's a-goin' dry

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by papat
Seems to be a regional thing. Son is in the biz and says no prob around KC at this time.

That would make sense if the river is high enough to get a barge to St. Louis.

IC B3

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by slumlord

That's funny...that's exactly what I thought about when he said it was the river. lol

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
The concrete shortage is something I, as a masonry contractor, have been struggling with all year. I run a block wall up four feet and may wait days before I can get a grout truck. It takes a day to run the wall up again and the waiting resumes.

It's not just concrete either, the cement powder shortage also affects premixed mortar and cinder block manufacturing. The normal 4-6 week lead time for special order block has stretched into 7 months on one of my jobs. The masonry supply store I frequent quit selling mortar mix to the general public, contractors only. Even still, the supplier gets a truck in and it's sold off by noon, everybody wants to stock up so they don't run out halfway through a project.

Foundations by others are delayed, slabs aren't being poured on time, it's left my job scheduling in tatters.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
around here I've not heard of anybody not being able to get concrete because it's not available. but the waiting times for somewhat pretty bad because of Labor shortage and truck driver shortage not to mention a shortage of decent concrete crews ..

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

“Interest is up and the stock markets down,
You only get mugged if you go downtown”

Prophetic to say the least

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

Is that like a limerick or sumthing?

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Osky
Your in better shape than here, north of Minneapolis.
My large buildings going up, I have been limited to 100 yards per week. So has everyone else including the major road builds.
Everyone has to have their will call in 10 days in advance. No exceptions.
Sounds like a lot of mud, 100 yards, but when pouring grade beams 16” x 40”, and slabs for 13,000 square ft plus buildings it doesn’t go far.
The chemical components for our concrete in this area generally come by ship thru the harbors at Duluth MN. I agree with the OP that labor shortage is a big component all the way along the supply chain.

Osky

This project is south of Minneapolis but same/same.

We have been combining our pours to be every other day or so. Making them bigger but then we only need the pump every day or the trucks everyday. Pouring 100-200yds, 2-3 days a week. We have an 88K SF addition to one of our facilities. So, we're pouring footings, walls, and columns daily.

Truthfully, I thought steel would be the bigger issue but it's not. HVAC, steel, and electrical components are usually the hold up's.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Dawgin'it
Foundations by others are delayed, slabs aren't being poured on time, it's left my job scheduling in tatters.

It's really screwing up construction schedules.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by papat
Aren't there large mines and plants in that area?

I haven't asked in our region, but there is a large operation east of Albuquerque, at Tijeras. (I'm pretty sure they're still operating)

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by ldholton
Labor shortage and truck driver shortage not to mention a shortage of decent concrete crews ..

Getting a good concrete crew has been an issue for 25 years. lol

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by ldholton
Labor shortage and truck driver shortage not to mention a shortage of decent concrete crews ..

Getting a good concrete crew has been an issue for 25 years. lol

Truth, out of foundation work about 15 years. Needed 12 guys on the payroll just to have 7 show up.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

362 members (16penny, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 46 invisible), 2,521 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,015
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.