OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by ldholton
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by Pat85
Originally Posted by ldholton
Labor shortage and truck driver shortage not to mention a shortage of decent concrete crews ..

Getting a good concrete crew has been an issue for 25 years. lol

Truth, out of foundation work about 15 years. Needed 12 guys on the payroll just to have 7 show up.

And only one can pass the piss test.

If a guy needs quick little hit to start or end the day...the concrete labors is where ya go. lol

trust me the excavation ended things ain't no better trying to find help. find somebody that's got some equipment experience in a valid CDL you just will be looking for a unicorn farting rainbows

Yep...my boy will be graduation HS this spring and is going to be an operator. He has 2 places begging him to come on already. He's been working at a place washing their equipment for a year now and will jump on with them in June when he's 18.

Camp is where you make it.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Osky
Your in better shape than here, north of Minneapolis.
My large buildings going up, I have been limited to 100 yards per week. So has everyone else including the major road builds.
Everyone has to have their will call in 10 days in advance. No exceptions.
Sounds like a lot of mud, 100 yards, but when pouring grade beams 16” x 40”, and slabs for 13,000 square ft plus buildings it doesn’t go far.
The chemical components for our concrete in this area generally come by ship thru the harbors at Duluth MN. I agree with the OP that labor shortage is a big component all the way along the supply chain.

Osky

This project is south of Minneapolis but same/same.

We have been combining our pours to be every other day or so. Making them bigger but then we only need the pump every day or the trucks everyday. Pouring 100-200yds, 2-3 days a week. We have an 88K SF addition to one of our facilities. So, we're pouring footings, walls, and columns daily.

Truthfully, I thought steel would be the bigger issue but it's not. HVAC, steel, and electrical components are usually the hold up's.

Tzone are you by chance down there on the Seagate expansion project?

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by 673
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem
Originally Posted by grouseman
From Russia and China? My first reaction was disbelief. Limestone and clay are not rare materials. And it isn't a difficult process. It is very heavy so you'd think transport costs would be huge.
Guess what country the US imports the most concrete from??
Canada!!!
Lots up here laugh

Yeah but that's Canadian cement. The exchange rate doesn't make it worth it. We're using like 40% more cement to make spec. laugh

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SLM
No shortage here, we are placing ~700 yds. a week.

What are you paying a yard down there?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
It was the same way here in TN about 9 months ago. Very frustrating to have everything you need except the damn mud.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know, I used to work summers at Canada Cement in Winnipeg in my university days.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Your in better shape than here, north of Minneapolis.
My large buildings going up, I have been limited to 100 yards per week. So has everyone else including the major road builds.
Everyone has to have their will call in 10 days in advance. No exceptions.
Sounds like a lot of mud, 100 yards, but when pouring grade beams 16” x 40”, and slabs for 13,000 square ft plus buildings it doesn’t go far.
The chemical components for our concrete in this area generally come by ship thru the harbors at Duluth MN. I agree with the OP that labor shortage is a big component all the way along the supply chain.

Osky

This project is south of Minneapolis but same/same.

We have been combining our pours to be every other day or so. Making them bigger but then we only need the pump every day or the trucks everyday. Pouring 100-200yds, 2-3 days a week. We have an 88K SF addition to one of our facilities. So, we're pouring footings, walls, and columns daily.

Truthfully, I thought steel would be the bigger issue but it's not. HVAC, steel, and electrical components are usually the hold up's.

Tzone are you by chance down there on the Seagate expansion project?

Osky

No. Not far from there though.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Aagaardsporter
Great Lakes freighters from Rogers City to Duluth? But shipping season will end in a few weeks. There was a USCG cutter working buoys on the Straits of Mackinac yesterday.

Online Content
Aagaardsporter
Campfire Member
A
Mid Michigan
Omicron cases seem to double every two days in virgin territory.....scary. Vaccine boosters appear to reduce risk/illness.

what a clueless idiot

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 160user, 204guy, 1badf350, 68 invisible), 2,941 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,192
Posts18,503,533
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.