Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well, I'm officially out of IMR 8208 XBR. Apparently, it is being hidden behind all of the bottles of RL26. I need to load up a bunch of 223 ammo with Sierra 77 grain TMKs as I'm down to the nitty gritty of loaded rounds. I would like some suggestions of your preferred alternative choices. I'm more focused on accuracy than speed; but, all else being equal, I'll obviously take both. Temperature non-sensitivity is a plus as here in Montana I am shooting in temperatures from 20 below zero up to 100 degrees.

I've researched it and come to some conclusions but would like input from others based on their experiences. What's a good alternative choice? I've got a couple of pounds of each TAC, X-terminator and CFE223. Based on what I've read, I think I've eliminated CFE223 for the temp instability. I base that on nothing other than what I've read. For those who need this information, these will be shot in a couple of Tikka 223s with 1 in 8 twist barrels.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
For what you have, I would start with TAC. If you can get some, AR-Comp would be one to try.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
23.6gr TAC

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
LVR

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
N140

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
LVR

That's what I use as well.

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
TAC

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
LVR

That's what I use as well.
This one has intrigued me as I have heard/read that it works, even though it was not "intended" as a .223 powder (I think). I've also seen it available, occasionally, locally.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
TAC when loading on the 550, Varget when taking my time.

“Might does not make right but it sure makes what is.”
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by boatanchor
N140

That's what I'm using. Temp stable & has a decoppering agents.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I run 22.6gr of X-terminator, as well as AR Comp:

Load #2 again to confirm:
20.5 gr AR Comp. Not a speed demon, but sub moa for 10 shots in an AR and bolt rifle. Also tested this load in one of my bolt guns and it shot well, but had to bump the charge weight up for best precision in the Savage predator:

Avg velocity through the 22" barrel was 2,680 fps at slightly above book max..^^

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Interesting that Nosler shows about 2gr more for the H4895 max when compared to Sierra.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Thanks for the info. As stated above, I do have x-terminator on hand. However, my Sierra app does not have it listed as a powder and I see by the page you posted from the manual they don't list it there either. Are you able to elaborate a little more as to how it performed for you? Thanks in advance.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jason280
23.6gr TAC
Any pressure signs Jason? Did you chrono the load? I ask because your load appears to be above the max in my Sierra App, the Sierra page posted by bsa above and the Ramshot data. Thanks in advance.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Thanks for the info. As stated above, I do have x-terminator on hand. However, my Sierra app does not have it listed as a powder and I see by the page you posted from the manual they don't list it there either. Are you able to elaborate a little more as to how it performed for you? Thanks in advance.

Good question. Here is some more data from Western powders. I like to use it, when I'm using Ramshot powders. You can see where I highlighted some of the load data that I tried:

Since I mainly load for my AR's with 556 chambers, I also looked at the 556 data and worked up to max:

Check out my notes about TAC. It was crap as far as I am concerned. The reason I don't highly suggest it.. There's better (much better) powders out there. This was back when I was running low on AR Comp. I was trying other powders in my rifles and was quite surprised by X-terminator. I also tried some TMK's with that powder through my Noveske with BUIS:

And the BCM with 77SMK and X-terminator:

That BCM has been my problem child for sure. I had all but given up on it, until I started messing with X-terminator in it. That 22.6 gr charge is stiff. Running close to max, but I did try 23 gr's as well. That is the 1.364" group on the right on that target. According to my notes, 23.7gr was too stiff and over max as far as I am concerned.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I've got lots of 8208xbr if you make it to east idaho I could spare at least a pound. I like 8208xbr so much I hate to see people have to use something else.

Bb

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Any pressure signs Jason? Did you chrono the load? I ask because your load appears to be above the max in my Sierra App, the Sierra page posted by bsa above and the Ramshot data. Thanks in advance.

The Sierra page is for .223 loads, 5.56 based loads (I believe) max out around 24.5-24.8gr TAC. I can't remember my velocities, but I *think* they were around 2750 out of a 16" barrel. All of mine were loaded in PMC cases with Wolf primers.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
TAC, Re-15, Varget, H4895.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Varget if you're looking for accuracy. Its available at Powder Valley right now.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for everybody's input so far. I found a load using TAC that my rifle really likes so I'll stick with that until I can once again find some 8208XBR. By the way, thanks for the gesture Burleyboy.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

160 members (1eyedmule, 160user, 2UP, 44mc, 3333vl, 308ld, 13 invisible), 1,564 guests, and 940 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,772
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.