Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Anybody have experience getting a domestic dog in a cage trap? Any wisdom to share? This is a dog that appears to have been dumped off (not uncommon around here unfortunately) that im trying to help. Hes extremely skittish. Dangerous area for dogs to be dumped off (lions, wolves etc) and its wintertime to boot. Im feeding him but he wont let me get near him. Hes been sitting in the gravel pit on the side of my road (seems to be waiting for his people, who aint coming back) for a few days at least, but runs off into the woods, tail between his legs, if approached. He seems comfortable watching me from 100 yards or so. If i get any closer, he moves to maintain the distance. Looks to be about a medium 50-60lb mutt. Im going to try to round up a cage trap that size, if i can. But the impression that i hqve is that dogs are much more wary of cage traps than cats are. And this dog is particularly skittish.

GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Feed him and be patient.

Mathew 22: 37-39

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Seriously ?

E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Yes seriously

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Get a large cage trap. Put meat in it. Stop feeding the dog. Maybe it could be that simple, who knows.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
No advice, but good on you OP. Thanks for helping him.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Start putting his food a little closer to your house, and then a little closer.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by DollarShort

The gravel pit where he is on watch is like 500 yards down the road. In the amount of time that would take, hed get eaten by something or ran over before i was feeding him at my place.

This is just an area where people from town seem to dump off dogs. In the woods, out of sight.. happens more than youd think. My current dog was dumped off in the mountains nearby. He wasnt skittish though. Charged out of the brush and landed on my feet crying.
Neighbors old dog, real sweetheart, was dumped off on the side of the road nearby in the middle of a snowstorm, with a litter of little puppies.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Google "dog flight/survival mode" and you’ll get an idea of what your dealing with...

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by DollarShort

Had a full grown black shepherd dumped and he chose to hang around my place…. But kinda the same thing… he’d eat and drink in my driveway but run off whenever I got anywhere’s close to him.

I told my kindhearted neighbors about himself before I left on a trip.

They did exactly what Dollar Short did….took a week or so, but got the dog finally used to coming in their storeroom to get fed. They slammed the door on him then it took only a couple of days to get him “tame.”

Been a number of years, they still have him.

Edit: saw OP comment re 500 yards. My neighbors got the black dog moved about 250 yards from my driveway to their storeroom….took a week or so.

Last edited by TF49; 12/07/22.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Perhaps it is kennel trained. Leave an appropriate sized kennel with the door open at the gravel pit. If it goes in, you can try catching it by rigging the kennel as a box trap.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just put an old blanket with your scent on it outside the trap and a dish of food inside. Sparky should be waiting there on you in the morning.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Google "dog flight/survival mode" and you’ll get an idea of what your dealing with...

That article is talking about dogs being afraid of their own owners in such a situation. I have a real hard time imagining that.
Either way, i dont see this guy surviving a week while i slowly lure him closer to my house each day. And he seems very invested on keeping watch at the gravel pit. If i cant gain his trust the next couple days, i want to try to trap him before a lion or something grabs him. I think the clock is ticking for him. At least hes not hungry anymore. Acts like he hasnt eaten in weeks.

E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by sawbuck
Just put an old blanket with your scent on it outside the trap and a dish of food inside. Sparky should be waiting there on you in the morning.

Dont know what my scent would help. Its not my dog.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Do you know of any animal control agency that might loan you a trap? Maybe your local game warden could tell you of a local wildlife rehabilitator that has a large enough trap. If a trap will hold a bear I'm guessing it will hold a dog. I have a fall door trap about 3 1/2 feet by 5 feet made from cattle panels that I catch hogs and dogs with. It has a top. If I knew how to send a picture I would.

A trapped dog can get vicious if he's scared, be careful.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Conibear

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Good on you for your positive intentions. Hope you are able to get him squared away. Gotta be a sorry piece of [bleep] to dump a dog like that. Time and positive interactions will possibly help you build trust. Best of luck, sure wouldn’t want to “corner” him into a fight or flight response. Feeding him should help it get the idea you are a friendly. Sorry, rambled on and didn’t answer your question. No idea on trapping.

NRA Endowment Member
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Might try giving it food and water every day at the same time each day. I bet it will recognize your vehicle and get to looking for you in no time. Build a bond with it.
Good luck with it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ElAhrairah
Originally Posted by sawbuck

Dont know what my scent would help. Its not my dog.

If he ate food you handled, he knows your scent.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

99 members (badwolf, 257 mag, 35, BABore, 10 invisible), 1,432 guests, and 925 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,066
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.