Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Brakes are known to be an accuracy issue. Bare, more than not, shoots better.

The grown ups run a muffler.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Welcome to the world of NO STANDARD SPECS in the AR 10 WORLD.

Everybody including Ruger does their own dance with this platform.

Including port size, port location, gas tube length, buffer spring strength, buffer weight,.....yeah all of that and sometimes more or less depending on the manufacturer.

Most seem to loosely follow the DPMS pattern up to a point. some closer than others which is a "kind of standard". Armalite paved the way but DPMS made it more reachable for gun nuts.
Alot of them do not know what they are doing so they look over the shoulder of another manufacturer and copy what they have....including the bugs.
Looks like Ruger did just that.

I suggest a SpringCo red/orange buffer spring and an Expo Arms heavy buffer.
It will calm ejection and you wont need the adj. block unless you run a suppressor.

Not the same I know but I have 2 PSA G3's in .308 18" barrels.
BOTH run fantastic, out to 400 yards 3" groups with hand loads 168 grn ballistic tips which is a farting around load. I use that load for multiple .308's including bolt actions.
That being said I like them both. They run well. 4'o clock ejection and 5 feet away. I took off the adjustable gas blocks. The blocks worked but it was just once piece I did not want to have to worry about locking up or just crapping out. So I put a regular gas block on both.
I have hunted with both and the last thing you want is that stupid adjustable block not working on a hunt.

Designed CORRECTLY from the get go it would not need it....this includes Ruger and everybody else that slaps it on the barrel.

Do I like them, heck yeah, they are fun and and enjoyable to shoot.

Best
HeavyDove

Last edited by HeavyDove; 12/15/22.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I am not sure that Ruger followed DPMS’s AR-10 pattern. This is more of a standard AR-15 pattern with a modified mag well for the 308 mags. The upper looks exactly like a AR-15 upper with a few differences in the machining.

I have yet to test it with the gas block turned off and now I am wondering how those factory Nosler 125 BTs would behave with it off. Have only shot the rifle with the gas block in #1, and #2 so far.

Should have it out this weekend for more testing.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Took the SFAR out to the range today along with a few other rifles.

I had loaded up 30 rounds using once and twice fired Hornady brass, Rem 9-1/2 primers, 42 gr. H4895, and Horn 168 BTHPs. This powder/bullet combo seems to shoot the same with Hornady, Starline and RP brass, and is not picky on either CCI34, CCI200, BR-2, or the Rem primers. I was actually trying to use up the last of those Rem primers as I only had half a sleeve.

I have a SWFA 1-4 mounted, and shooting suppressed with a Hybrid-46. I started with the gas block on #2 and shot this 10 round group at 100 yards.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I was shooting a second 10 round group and tried the gas block in #1. It fired and ejected, but did not load the next round so I switched back to #2 and shot some more. In total, I fired three 10 round groups, and no issues other than the test with the gas block in position #1. First group (shown was the best, but the other two groups remained under 1.75"

If I mounted the 10x back on it, I could shrink those groups down a little, but I really like the 1-4x on that rifle and will leave it as is.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Scoony……How do you like your Hybrid 46? I have one that I’m waiting on approval for and I’m anxious to give it a try on my 35 Whelen and my 338’s. 👍🏼

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Scoony……How do you like your Hybrid 46? I have one that I’m waiting on approval for and I’m anxious to give it a try on my 35 Whelen and my 338’s. 👍🏼

I run it on 223, 6.8spc, 6 CM and 308. I have tested it on my G19 and it works fine, but muzzle heavy for a pistol. I do have a 338wm, but have not had that rifle threaded yet.

Son has the same and and runs his on 223 up to 45-70.

I have the ASR devices on all but the 6 CM and use direct thread on that.

Only issue I have had is switching it from rifle to rifle. A hot suppressor screwed onto a cold ASR brake will lock up and you have to wait till all is cooled down before unscrewing it.

I have a YHM R9 on tax-stamp-hold, primarily for the G19, but will also be testing it out on the rifles.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Looked at a 20" Ruger SFAR today liked it

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

You're not the only one who has problems with it.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
The tester was not...a happy camper.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter

Well, Hop is a bit of a wuss when it comes to troubleshooting. The gas block was obviously loose/leaking, yet he continues to piss and moan about it being "undergassed". I guess that is typical for his generation.

IC B3

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by kk alaska
The SFAR really only makes sense as a hunting rifle, and 20" is more appropriate for maximizing performance from the 308.

The 16" version supposedly is "tactical", which is funny given the manboys concerned about recoil.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by dla
Originally Posted by kk alaska
The SFAR really only makes sense as a hunting rifle, and 20" is more appropriate for maximizing performance from the 308.

The 16" version supposedly is "tactical", which is funny given the manboys concerned about recoil.

Running a suppressor on it, the 16” makes sense for hunting. Even without the suppressor, I would rather have the 16” for hunting.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by dla

Well, Hop is a bit of a wuss when it comes to troubleshooting. The gas block was obviously loose/leaking, yet he continues to piss and moan about it being "undergassed". I guess that is typical for his generation.

Gonna have to call BS on this & I'm far from his generation.

Who wants to futz with different ammo, on multiple settings to get a new gun to operate correctly? When just one minor combo works?

Who wants a gun that leaks? Spits on your hand, maybe burning it?

He did mention other testers had somewhat better results & his was simply an example of one. Trying to give it a pass.

But... Ruger does have excellent customer service. They will work on your new gun, more than once if you insist.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by gunzo
Originally Posted by dla

Who wants to futz with different ammo, on multiple settings to get a new gun to operate correctly? When just one minor combo works?

He did mention other testers had somewhat better results & his was simply an example of one. Trying to give it a pass.

But... Ruger does have excellent customer service. They will work on your new gun, more than once if you insist.
Watch video, then post. The gas block was leaking - it's not freaking nuclear rocket science. Hop is either:
  • a whiny dumb shlt
  • A consummate professional who lets the review write itself in the minds of the unknowing.

Last edited by dla; 01/13/23.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I just got the 16” version and took it out today. Put an ACOG TA-33 on it (3x, 308 reticle).
I really like it so far. Functioned fine, no gas problems, and I was getting around 1.5 MOA. It’s loud though. Every shot would set off an alarm from a truck 25’ away. Hope my suppressor comes in soon.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by dla
Originally Posted by gunzo
Originally Posted by dla

Watch video, then post. The gas block was leaking - it's not freaking nuclear rocket science. Hop is either:
  • a whiny dumb shlt
  • A consummate professional who lets the review write itself in the minds of the unknowing.

Yer not gonna get me on that. I did watch the vid, closely. And then posted, quite confidently I might add.

Oh, & it is rocket science, gasses supposedly diverted or channeled to perform a function. But leaking.... like the bad O rings that leaked & caused the blow up of the space shuttle.

Nuclear isn't a rocket you scientist you. It's a war head that might be on a rocket, but a different science. OK?

Still don't want a new gun jammin all the time of spittin on me. Glad others have had satisfactory results. Good to hear from Jeffrey in Texas, sounds like he got a good one.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Does Ruger sell parts or do they still require the gun to be sent in for repairs?

I brew & drink my own coffee. smile

Politics is War by Other Means
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Does Ruger sell parts or do they still require the gun to be sent in for repairs? smile

Depends I guess. I bought a AR556 that was chewing up the face of the buffer. Turned out it was a burr on the rear of the bolt carrier. Called Ruger and after emailing a few pics, they mailed me a bolt carrier and buffer. They did not want the old parts back. A little honing and the original carrier was good. I think that buffer is also still in use somewhere.

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
For a dedicated hunting rifle, I think the 20” barrel with the rifle length gas system cut and crowned at 18-19” would be a better mousetrap. No brake, no can and no threads on the muzzle. Just my dumbass opinion but that would be the configuration that I would choose.

Semper Fi

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by haverluk
For a dedicated hunting rifle, I think the 20” barrel with the rifle length gas system cut and crowned at 18-19” would be a better mousetrap. No brake, no can and no threads on the muzzle. Just my dumbass opinion but that would be the configuration that I would choose.

A damn interesting concept. Well, considering all my AR's wear thread protectors anyway. But, with the rifle gas in this case? Sounds viable, is it?

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (1minute, 1234, 160user, 10Glocks, 16penny, 53 invisible), 2,419 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,527
Posts18,472,663
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.