Gentlemen:

I have a problem with the new Ruger SFAR with 16 " barrel I bought a few weeks back. After around twenty or so rounds on the first trip to the range the rifle started to misfire. I got it back home and found that the bolt had tiny one mm brass discs in it. These had apparently come from the primers blowing out of the cartridges fired. I sent the rifle back to Ruger and they replaced the barrel and bolt carrier group. I got the rifle back and shot it again. Accuracy was a dismal 2 inches at 100 yards, even with Federal 175 grain Sierra Matchking ammo. Ejection was rather lively, so I tried to turn down the adjustable gas block and found it was locked up tight. Ruger said they would need the rifle again because the gas block had to be fitted to the barrel. I sent it off and got it back, then out to the range again.

This time the rifle worked as advertised (including the gas block), but the best accuracy was still no better than 2 inches at 100 yards with a variety of Federal target and hunting ammo and hand loads. I got a bright idea and thought I would try the rifle out the next day after taking off the muzzle break and shutting off the gas block to factor these things out of the equation. Then off to the range again.

Shooting without the muzzle break in place was enlightening. I was surprised at how much more recoil there was without it. Ruger did a great job designing the break, as it really does mitigate recoil significantly. I shot the same variety of ammo with the same results, so I am convinced that neither the muzzle break or the gas system is causing the poor accuracy.

I did, however, notice a pattern to most of the three shot groups fired. Usually the first two shots would fall within an inch of each other at a forty-five degree angle, then the third shot would open to at least 2 inches and often more. The hand rail is nice and tight. I am out of ideas.

Does anybody out there shoot a Ruger SFAR? Has anybody else experienced this sort of thing on an AR platform? Surely 2 MOA is not the best the Ruger SFAR can do (I hope, anyway!!!!). I had hoped to make this rifle a go to hunting rifle because it is light weight and shoots the powerful 308 Winchester (as compared to 223 Rem, anyhow). My son has an Adams Arms piston AR 10 and it shoots a good 3/4" group at 100 yards, so obviously such rifles are capable of great accuracy. What do y'all think?