Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Any ideas where I might find a stock to fit a 1948 model 70. Chambered in 375 H&H. Stock can be made of anything. I want to put a shooter stock on the gun and not risk it kicking tits current stock apart. I am told it has kicked a number of stocks apart in its life.

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
A clover leaf tang stock is going to be hard to find. Especially one for a 375. There is one on gunbroker right now that ends tomorrow. You might get lucky enough and win it. There are no bids on it and starting price is $175. It has a goofy looking spacer and aftermarket recoil pad on it, but it would make a good shooter stock..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Is the ‘48 a clover leaf tang? When did that change?

I have a 375 made 1952. Love to get another stock for it, mines a bit worse for wear!

Ensure you bed it properly and keep the action screws tight!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rockdoc
Is the ‘48 a clover leaf tang? When did that change?

I have a 375 made 1952. Love to get another stock for it, mines a bit worse for wear!

Ensure you bed it properly and keep the action screws tight!

Good questions and advice on the bedding and action screws. Yes, the 1948 is most times a clover leaf tang. However, it is a transition, so there is a possibility that a very late '48 model may not have the clover leaf tang or a smaller transition style safety lever. The ones made in 1948 that I have had were in fact clover leaf tang specimens. Here's one the OP would probably love to have:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Now, if the op's rifle does not have a clover leaf tang that would make it much easier to find a stock. The rarity of that stock makes it worth a lot of money. Like I said, just the stock alone in excellent condition could bring $600 by itself. Here is what the clover leaf tang looks like:
This was a 375 H&H that I bought a couple years ago, but was rechambered to 375 WBY. It's a shame too because other than that, the rifle was completely original. Notice the rear bridge isn't even drilled and tapped.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I have a new still in the bubble wrap McMillan Super Grade for a Pre -64 .375. It is not inletted for a cloverleaf tang. Also it is not inletted for the dog nut, which would be an easy fix. I would sell it for $600 TYD. Obviously this will work on any H&H length action.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by easttex
I have a new still in the bubble wrap McMillan Super Grade for a Pre -64 .375. It is not inletted for a cloverleaf tang. Also it is not inletted for the dog nut, which would be an easy fix. I would sell it for $600 TYD. Obviously this will work on any H&H length action.

That is really weird, seeing how the 375's did not have the "dog not" or sight boss, as some of us call it.. Wonder why Mcmillan inletted a 375 stock in that manner? Doesn't sound like a 375 H&H stock to me..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

That is really weird, seeing how the 375's did not have the "dog not" or sight boss, as some of us call it.. Wonder why Mcmillan inletted a 375 stock in that manner? Doesn't sound like a 375 H&H stock to me..

Isn't that what he is saying? It does not have the barrel knot? Just wondering, sounds like a good deal though.

Semper Fi
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Bsa1917hunter thank you.

That is a great looking rifle! And the stock is not split! Unlike mine.

I prefer that rear tang and had a friend do my M70 Classic when he converted it to a 375H&H and fitted it to a modified D’Arcy Echols stock. He slimmed the forend.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
PM sent re McM stock

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Isn't that what he is saying? It does not have the barrel knot? Just wondering, sounds like a good deal though.

Good catch Scotty. Yes, sounds like that is probably a 375 stock then.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rockdoc
Bsa1917hunter thank you.

That is a great looking rifle! And the stock is not split! Unlike mine.

I prefer that rear tang and had a friend do my M70 Classic when he converted it to a 375H&H and fitted it to a modified D’Arcy Echols stock. He slimmed the forend.

The 375's were known for splitting stocks. The reason they started putting in cross bolts from the factory during the last year of production (1963). I've ran across a few 375 stocks and if they are not cracked, they are high dollar items. Probably almost impossible to find where you live? A mcmillan is a good option. I ran one on the 375 I sold to gunner here. I later swapped that over to a fwt 30-06. Great stocks that are very durable.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by FNWhelen
Any ideas where I might find a stock to fit a 1948 model 70. Chambered in 375 H&H. Stock can be made of anything. I want to put a shooter stock on the gun and not risk it kicking tits current stock apart. I am told it has kicked a number of stocks apart in its life.

I just saw the picture of your rifle. That is a sweet one. It is in fact a clover leaf tang and a transition model, as I stated earlier. Your picture confirms it though. Hopefully someone here can help with a shooter stock, so you don't damage the one that is on it right now. Like rockdoc said in an earlier post, make sure you properly glass bed the new stock. That will keep it from splitting out. The main conundrum is finding a stock that will fit your rifle. The one I mentioned in my first post is supposed to be ending very soon on gunbroker. If you get a wood stock, I'd also suggest having a smith install some cross bolts in it to keep the stock from splitting in the known areas.

BSA MAGA
F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F

F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Been trying to learn how to post pictures in this forum. The two links are of my rifle.
Maybe one of you guys can clue me in on posting pictures. Or tell me how to get pictures from the gallery to this thread.

Last edited by FNWhelen; 12/08/22.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
FWIW & IMHO,
The McMillan Super Grade is a boat paddle McMillan. How they turned the factory Winchester Super Grade wooden stock, as designed by David Miller, into the McMillan Super Grade is beyond me. Built my first Custom Rifle on a Classic Express Action and a McMillan Winchester Super Grade Stock by John Ricks twenty years ago. Great work, nice rifle, hampered by the stock...

Regards, Matt.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
After many tries to post pictures I posted a couple in the big game rifle thread. This rifle is Hal Waugh's Big Nan.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Matt in Virginia
FWIW & IMHO,
The McMillan Super Grade is a boat paddle McMillan. How they turned the factory Winchester Super Grade wooden stock, as designed by David Miller, into the McMillan Super Grade is beyond me. Built my first Custom Rifle on a Classic Express Action and a McMillan Winchester Super Grade Stock by John Ricks twenty years ago. Great work, nice rifle, hampered by the stock...

Regards, Matt.
I share your sentiments regarding this pattern from McMillan.

The Bansner version of the Miller is much superior.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
FNWhelen, this is a shooter grade stock that will fit your rifle with a little fitting. The barrel channel would need to be opened up a bit, as well as the mag well. These mods are very easy to do, a smith would be able to do it with minimal effort. While it's at the smiths, I'd have him install a red Pachmayr decelerator and glass bedding. This would keep your beautiful stock from being damaged:

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...e-64-model-70-stock.cfm?gun_id=101693138

This is a shooter grade, but looks pretty solid.. The price is not bad, considering. It is also being sold from a well known shop.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I have a pre war stock opened up for the larger medium weight target contour barrel, inletted for lyman 48 and has a very old looking Winchester/Noshoc recoil pad. I believe this stock would fit your rifle.

If OP is interested please PM

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by FNWhelen

The well known breakage problem stems from improper action fit in the stocks originally. The cross bolts were semi successful but were just a band aid approach, eventually causing more issues than they 'fixed'.

Fortunately, the factory wood stocks for the 375's can be made recoil-breakage proof. smile You can get a 'shooter' wood stock and go from there to retain the 'look', if you like. I'd encourage you to have whatever stock you end up with (wood or composite) bedded and modified by someone with expertise and experience specific to Model 70's.

Pretty cool clover tang Winchester...keep it up and running, sir! smile

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (12344mag, 16penny, 1936M71, 1234, 01Foreman400, 1Longbow, 56 invisible), 2,110 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,020
Posts18,481,640
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.