Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
We dabbled in that issue 7 months ago with my 85 yo mother. We've had her at our place in an in-law apartment we built with a caregiver that spent 6 hours a day with her. Her health had deteriorated, and we thought it was time to put her in a home. We found the best home we could, and it still sucked. There's no comparison between individual care and group care. I kept her there one week and then moved her back home with additional caregiver coverage. She had been there a week and was never bathed, had fallen, messed up meds etc. etc.

We've gone through all the caregiver trials and tribulations too. Lying, cheating, theft etc. etc. We lucked upon a friend of a friend that was available and that made all the difference, but that one person's resources and availability are limited. We eventually lucked out with supplementing with an agency that has 3 wonderful ladies from Zimbabwe that provide supplemental to our original caregiver. What a difference!! All 3 of the Zim ladies are intelligent, great conversationalists and a joy to have at our dinner table each evening. We truly consider them family and fully expect to stay friends with them after my mom passes.

My mom has always been a wonderful lady that deserves the blessings of our maker. When I needed an angel to help with her care, I was blessed with 3 new ones.

GB4

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by saddlesore
My brother passed away today. Never made to a nursing home. 83
Sorry for your loss. Prayers sent

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Sorry to hear that, Saddlesore.

Fear the crabcat.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
My condolences.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Sorry to hear of the friend in the home and saddlesore losing a brother, one brother of mine passed just shy of his 42 birthday, dad we kept at home till 96 where he had a stroke and did not recover from it.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Not much to say, I see why he's there.

Watching a loved one's body and/or mind melt away is a terrible thing. One of the hardest for sure. Peace for you and your friend.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My mom didn't make it 24 hours in a nursing home. She was booze-pickled demented, had daily home care (plenty of resources), but fell and busted her shoulder. Caregiver found her, got her to the hospital. I begged the hospital not to transfer her to the nursing home until I could get over there in five days or so. Well, they moved her, and after an evening and morning of switchboard he// I finally got a human on the other end, asking for my mother. After being put on hold, the human told me at that moment she was in the ambulance on the way to the ER. Choked on potato salad. I called the ER, the doctor "called" her while I was on the line.
Oh, was I hot. But then, my stepsiblings pounced and made sure I didn't have the energy or resources to pursue the inexcusable "care" Mom had in her last four days.
In contrast, my Dad got Covided, and while he was feeling his 85 years, mentally he was still him -- a month before he went, we enjoyed our usual "sport drive" in the Audi A8, running that puppy around the corners with tires crying and up against the chip on good straightaways. But the Covid killed what was left of his lungs, and when I told him he'd never get off pressurized oxygen or go home again, he basically said, *%#)&, then let's go, (%$&$#). 15 hours later, after a final father/son salute, he punched out.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not much to say, I see why he's there.

Sorry to hear, but, if he is a believer of Jesus, you will see him in heaven!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Condolences to all.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H

May he rest in peace.
Sorry to hear that.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My condolences on your brother’s passing.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
So sorry to hear. There really are dates worse than early death.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Condolences, Vince.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Nursing homes are killing fields, the underpaid/overworked folks that work there make a game of seeing how long the unfortunate patient can survive with the inadequate care given them. Withold water, unchanged diapers, bedsores, and the places all reek with the stench of urine. We saw all the horrors with my grandmother, father and stepmother. I've already informed my family no nursing homes for me !

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Nursing homes are killing fields, the underpaid/overworked folks that work there make a game of seeing how long the unfortunate patient can survive with the inadequate care given them. Withold water, unchanged diapers, bedsores, and the places all reek with the stench of urine. We saw all the horrors with my grandmother, father and stepmother. I've already informed my family no nursing homes for me !
you are so [bleep] ignorant on how that works you're not even funny. I'd help you [bleep] leave the world so fast the way you run your mouth

Last edited by ldholton; 12/09/22.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Dad was in a nursing home for a little over 2 years (put himself in). I could tell stories, both good and bad.

Saddlesore, I'm sorry about your brother - condolences.

Allways outdoors, you don't need to continue attempting to be an ass.
My sister-in-law was diagnosed with meningiomas, breast cancer, and thyroid tumors - all at the same time.
The 2 tumors on her brain (meningiomas) were the size of a golf ball and the size of a tennis ball when found.
After taking care of the more deadly problems, upon surgery, the brain tumors were the size of grapefruits - and had cracked her skull.
Minimal pain involved with them until a few days prior to the surgery.

Things happen, the human body can endure much more than most realize.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
My condolences

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
2016 dad died brain tumor .. wife works RN nursing home . local snall town . know most of the residents. talk a little bad on the care people have no idea how much the caretaker can get attached. to make comments like was previously made on here shows what kind of a dipshit dumbass that person really is. want to be most thankless jobs a person could ever have

Last edited by ldholton; 12/09/22.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Not the worst thing.

I’m going with Jimbo on this one. 83 is a good run, and to pass at home or even in the hospital without ever having to darken the doorway of a nursing home, to me is a huge win.

Condolences, saddlesore.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Mask, robe, ICU, locked doors.
Wow...
Must be a special nursing home.
ICU.
So they must have a med staff too running the ICU at the nursing home.

Couldn't have been a hospice, cause that is where they send expectant to die people.
Usually under 24 hr sedation waiting to pass away.
Little more less stressful situation for the family is what a hospice is compared to a room in a hospital on life support .
Most hospice patients are not on life support.
But in advanced stages of approaching death but the CNS system is still working for breathing on their own.

Most are sent after hospitalization, rehab, and then a nursing home within their new limits with really no date of death hanging over em.
Just issues associated with old age from dementia to physical inability especially.

Or they decide for themselves or relatives make the decision the person needs assisted living/ nursing home 24/7 365 resident status.
Then ya have retirement communities for those in totally different situations and living a active life as a senior citizen

Pretty confused about the nursing home with a ICU???

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

630 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 68 invisible), 2,118 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,904
Posts18,479,364
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.