Hop To
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Dre
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
I suggest picking a place to live where you don't have to abandon your food, shelter, and weapons if SHTF. If you imagine you can bail with a single firearm and ammo and somehow keep living for more than a few days or weeks, you've seen to many movies.
I guess I’ve seen TOO many movies
Just a hypothetical question bro.
If we're playing make-believe, I want a phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
HR IC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by Dre
Originally Posted by Dre
Lets say, what If, sh*t hits the fan. You Need to bounce in a hurry with no time to grab bunch of Misc. gear and ammo. There is also Possibility of no chance of coming back home to re group. One rifle for survival/hunting. Not talking warfare.
What are you grabbing?
I’m grabbing 10/22 with 2-7 and sealed box of 10 (500 round) bricks.
I though about the AR and 1000 round box of 62gr HP. But seems like too much heat for small game/birds.

What are you grabbing and why?
In those circumstances there will be warfare.
Probably, but this is a hunting rifle thread and you make it out and you’re in the sticks living off the land.
So what are you grabbing ?
AR. As many rounds as I can pack. Kills small game with head shots as well as deer and turkey at extended ranges.

And every time you shoot, you're potentially drawing unwanted attention to yourself.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Teeder
Originally Posted by Dre
Originally Posted by Dre
Lets say, what If, sh*t hits the fan. You Need to bounce in a hurry with no time to grab bunch of Misc. gear and ammo. There is also Possibility of no chance of coming back home to re group. One rifle for survival/hunting. Not talking warfare.
What are you grabbing?
I though about the AR and 1000 round box of 62gr HP. But seems like too much heat for small game/birds.

Probably, but this is a hunting rifle thread and you make it out and you’re in the sticks living off the land.
AR. As many rounds as I can pack. Kills small game with head shots as well as deer and turkey at extended ranges.

And every time you shoot, you're potentially drawing unwanted attention to yourself.
As you will w a rimfire just the same.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I didn't vote for any rifle for food.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I guess I should have reworded my answer.

Same as a person shooting a rimfire.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 12/10/22.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I’ll grab a light .22, and my wife will carry two handguns and the Mossberg pump…….

What fresh Hell is this?
Dre Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Lmao, loving infinite wisdom of fire bad asses.
Has No one ever thought about what rifle they’d grab if something did happened?
And are some of you really doubting 22LR capabilities on big game or incapacitating a human threat?

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Didn't see anybody "doubting" a rimfire.

W
WMR Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Dre
Originally Posted by Dre
What are you grabbing?

Every time I shoot, something or someone else will also be drawing some unwanted attention ! 😳 In this case, do I have to walk or can I take the truck? If I got wheels, I’m slippin in the Glock, a 12 gauge and a 308. If I gotta hoof it I’d choose an AR.

A realistic scenario might be to leave an urban dwelling with one vehicle full of stuff and not a lot of time to pack.
Maybe a storm, a fire or civil unrest. If so , more than one shooter goes with me!

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I’ve been thinking about some kind of survival/backpack/camping rig that might let me hang out at a mountain lake for a couple of weeks without carrying in a pack full of food. Just some coffee, powdered milk and eggs, rice and beans, salt and pepper, butter buds, oil, maybe some tang and multi-vitamins.

I figure some kind of ultralight spinning gear and a lightweight high power pellet gun.
Of course I’d like a 9mm pistol or something just in case there was something there that might want to eat me.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I don’t doubt one at all. I do however, understand that under actual conditions something like a .410 may make securing food more certain than any single-projectile weapon. So the joke about what my wife would be carrying is only partly a joke. After futzing about with a .410 single for a few years, I’m very confident in its capabilities. Maybe the Savage 24 guys have the best idea.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Pappy348

I don’t doubt one at all. I do however, understand that under actual conditions something like a .410 may make securing food more certain than any single-projectile weapon. So the joke about what my wife would be carrying is only partly a joke. After futzing about with a .410 single for a few years, I’m very confident in its capabilities. Maybe the Savage 24 guys have the best idea.
Plus you could load some 45’s or slugs in a 410.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Your fairy tale aside, I prepare for a version of this every year before fire season...

I don't have the room to load the entire safe contents into my truck with all of the other necessaries, and probably wouldn't have enough time anyway.

Given time, I can grab all of my pistols as they don't take up much room. I'd also take my one Barrett Fieldcraft, and a couple of 22LR rifles. My very accurate Tikka T1X and my CZ 452 Trainer, because this could be long term and I enjoy shooting.

If time doesn't allow that, I'd grab my Colt Woodsman 22LR that I got for Christmas as a kid and my CZ 452 for the aforementioned fun (& distraction from the loss). The rest can be replaced and is insured.

For those of you who just say, get a fire safe, I've got one but...

After a fire swept through a local community, several homeowners went back to empty their safes and were pretty disappointed in what they found inside. Also know of a guy north of here who had three high end gun safes, his house burned to the ground, burned pretty hot... nothing was salvageable.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I guess a Winchester 94 30-30. I don't know. I guess it should be a 22 so I can live off squirrels or whatever? But then what happens when I have to protect myself from people?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by moosemike
I guess a Winchester 94 30-30. I don't know. I guess it should be a 22 so I can live off squirrels or whatever? But then what happens when I have to protect myself from people?

The OP has promised that no people will be harmed in this make believe scenario.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I guess I should have reworded my answer.

Same as a person shooting a rimfire.

I didn't word very well either. I'd plan on acquiring food without having to shoot and risk drawing attention to myself.
I'd still have a firearm, but would avoid using it for food.
Snares, traps and/or a bow for food.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker
Your fairy tale aside, I prepare for a version of this every year before fire season...

I don't have the room to load the entire safe contents into my truck with all of the other necessaries, and probably wouldn't have enough time anyway.

Given time, I can grab all of my pistols as they don't take up much room. I'd also take my one Barrett Fieldcraft, and a couple of 22LR rifles. My very accurate Tikka T1X and my CZ 452 Trainer, because this could be long term and I enjoy shooting.

If time doesn't allow that, I'd grab my Colt Woodsman 22LR that I got for Christmas as a kid and my CZ 452 for the aforementioned fun (& distraction from the loss). The rest can be replaced and is insured.

After a fire swept through a local community, several homeowners went back to empty their safes and were pretty disappointed in what they found inside. Also know of a guy north of here who had three high end gun safes, his house burned to the ground, burned pretty hot... nothing was salvageable.

Jerry
Yeah my first cousin has been a professional fireman for over 30 years and he told me not to waste my money on a "fire proof" safe, he said they have seen the aftermath from the inside of dozens of safes that have gone through house fires and said there is very little left besides maybe coins that come through OK.....Hb

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker

Jerry
Yeah my first cousin has been a professional fireman for over 30 years and he told me not to waste my money on a "fire proof" safe, he said they have seen the aftermath from the inside of dozens of safes that have gone through house fires and said there is very little left besides maybe coins that come through OK.....Hb
But they do make it harder to steal the stuff inside.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Heck I’ll play.
My stainless 10/22 take down with the ammo and multiple magazines already in its bag. I’ll be throwing my rugged oculus suppressor in there with it as well😁.

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

676 members (204guy, 160user, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 1lessdog, 67 invisible), 3,148 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,960
Posts18,499,168
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.