H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Quadratic functions deal with squares, and are are parabolic in shape. One value varies as the square of another. I think this is the mathematical way to describe wind drift over distance.

I'm a wee bit familiar with quadratics. grin
I recognize that. Yet you posted that wind drift would be greater than quadratic. How to you figure that?

I looked at a scenario using a ballistics calculator and the numbers didn't quite fit a pure quadratic growth.
Good answer, but my question was more about physics than math. How do we account for the drift that varies more than the square?

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I didn't "account for it", I simply observed that it didn't quite fit the pure quadratic model. I'd have to study up to be conversant with a proper derivation.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
We may have been posting at the same time, but I addressed this above in post #17903025.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jwp475
The first shot from a cold barrel is more important than group size in my opinion

... and where one can put that round, under field conditions.

Far more a rifleman problem than rifle.

GR

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by Ramblin_Razorback
Separate topic related to wind effects:
First time I ever shot at 600 yards was an eye opener, but I didn't realize at first what I was seeing. The vertical dispersion wasn't bad - about what one would extrapolate from groups at 100 and 200 yards. However, the horizontal dispersion was awful, and what I didn't realize immediately was that even the very light breeze had a tremendous effect at 600 yards (and from more experience I found wind effects are still very noticeable even at half that distance). Therefore, eliminating wind effects to the extent possible is absolutely critical to assessing a rifle's and load's capabilities.

I *think* for a constant cross breeze the deflection grows a bit more than quadratic with distance.
I'm going to disagree. I think it's exactly quadratic.
I think it's an exponential dependence, but I'd have to go through it to confirm.
Quadratic functions deal with squares, and are are parabolic in shape. One value varies as the square of another.
Yes, that is very true.
I think this is the mathematical way to describe wind drift over distance.
While Newtonian drag force increases quadratically with velocity, the trajectory of a projectile experiencing Newtonian drag is very difficult to solve analytically without some assumptions and approximations. An assumption that allows for an analytical solution is that the projectile is fired at a negligible polar angle (nearly horizontally), which is the case that we are interested in. Wind drift increases linearly in lag time, which increases linearly in flight time,

wind drift = B * wind speed * cos(theta) * lag time
= B * wind speed * cos(theta) * (flight time - vacuum time)

where B is some coefficient that depends on the units you use for the various parameters, theta is the azimuthal angle of the wind vector (full value at theta=0), and vacuum time is the time of flight if the bullet were in a vacuum.

Flight time is a function of the bullet's horizontal position, described by t(x)=[(exp(x*C*p*A/2m) - 1) * 2m] / (v_0*C*p*A), where x is the horizontal position, C is the drag coefficient, p is the air density, A is the cross-sectional area of the bullet, m is the mass of the bullet, and v_0 is the muzzle velocity.

If you insert the flight time, t, for a given distance, x, into the wind drift equation, you will see that wind drift varies exponentially with distance.
Thanks!

IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Back when I was young, most rifles that were affordable, and the ammunition of that day, would be lucky to produce better than a 5-shot 2.5” group… I guess nobody ever killed deer at 400 yards back then.

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
--- Will Rogers
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Old_Crab
Back when I was young, most rifles that were affordable, and the ammunition of that day, would be lucky to produce better than a 5-shot 2.5” group… I guess nobody ever killed deer at 400 yards back then.

Well, one thing's for sure: Deer hadn't yet shrunk to the size of prairie dogs, as they apparently have today.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by mauserfan
It takes a 400 yard shooter to make an accurate 400 yard shot......there are very few that can do it in the field. Always a lot of chest pumping shooting from the bench. Just my gray haired experience. As far as accuracy from the bench, I want my rifle to be as accurate as it can be......I am good with 1" and no fliers.
Well said, I like to be able to shoot my rifle any time I pick it up and with a clean, cold barrel shoot a 1” shot. Put gun up for that day, go back another day and do the same shot and it be 1”….same conditions as close as possible. If will do that I will go hunting and be confident that it will put it where I aimed on any shot I take out to 300 yards because I know where it will hit out to that range. Now, if I take a 400 yard shot I might can make it and I might not….have hit iron from that distance BUT I might not press the bang button because I might miss and I don’t like too miss. Anyone that can shoot at that distance and know they can make it is a good shot….I don’t know that yet.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Well, one thing's for sure: Deer hadn't yet shrunk to the size of prairie dogs, as they apparently have today.

I guess I'll be the guy that has to say it:

Maybe people hunted closer back then, too.
My deer are closer to archery ranges on average, but everyone's terrain is different. I never see a nice buck standing out in a field. It's usually some nasty brush-choked schit-hole.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Teeder
I never see a nice buck standing out in a field. It's usually some nasty brush-choked schit-hole.

Or hustling across a lane/road in the thick stuff without checking up. That's what I run into fairly often, especially in the rut. 3-4 seconds to spot him and mentally range him, get him in the scope, judge him, and make the shot (or pass).

Now with even more aplomb
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I didn't "account for it", I simply observed that it didn't quite fit the pure quadratic model. I'd have to study up to be conversant with a proper derivation.
Lord have mercy you nerds! Save it for rocket science. laugh
Double the yardage, double the MOA/Mil wind correction plus a click or two. laugh

Politics is War by Other Means
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Winnie70
Originally Posted by mauserfan
It takes a 400 yard shooter to make an accurate 400 yard shot......there are very few that can do it in the field. Always a lot of chest pumping shooting from the bench. Just my gray haired experience. As far as accuracy from the bench, I want my rifle to be as accurate as it can be......I am good with 1" and no fliers.
Well said, I like to be able to shoot my rifle any time I pick it up and with a clean, cold barrel shoot a 1” shot. Put gun up for that day, go back another day and do the same shot and it be 1”….same conditions as close as possible. If will do that I will go hunting and be confident that it will put it where I aimed on any shot I take out to 300 yards because I know where it will hit out to that range. Now, if I take a 400 yard shot I might can make it and I might not….have hit iron from that distance BUT I might not press the bang button because I might miss and I don’t like too miss. Anyone that can shoot at that distance and know they can make it is a good shot….I don’t know that yet.

Word for word, letter for letter, this^^^^^^^^^^^
Both posts

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I agree with everything above, and I'm not a looney! smile

I have a M98 in .30-06 that will repeatedly put 3 into an inch at 300 yards, with no wind, and a good solid rest. Under those conditions, I'm still - as shooter- maxed out at 500. I just won't shoot at an animal beyond that. I once , using the snow machine windscreen for my rest, killed a caribou right at 300 yards with it, and a few seconds later, after another ranging, a second one at 433 yards. Both bullets went where intended.

The 11th bullet down that barrel killed one at 370 yards.

I'd consider 2MOA to be aceptable to 400 yards in my hands, under above conditions.

But I wouldn't be happy about it!- After 30 years, and literally a ton or more of game, I fixed my 700 .243 from 2MOA to MOA. Haven't killed anything with it since.... smile Nor anything previous over 200 yards.

I used it to take my first Dall ram. It was sufficiently accurate at 20 yards, and the next year, for one at 100 yards. smile

Last edited by las; 12/15/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Double the yardage, double the MOA/Mil wind correction plus a click or two. laugh

How to tell us you don't know how to shoot in the wind.

This is completely wrong.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by Tyrone

How to tell us you don't know how to shoot in the wind.

This is completely wrong.
Do you not see the laughing face behind this....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’ll take some tutelage on the question of wind shooting at 400 yards, if I’m doing something incorrectly.

I’ve always used this Kentucky windage method and it has produced rapid death. Shooting a 30 cal 180grain bullet at 400 yards into an ungulate in a R2L or L2R wind up to 20-25MPH with a standing broadside animal.

Me, wanting to place a shot approximately 6-8” behind the shoulder - I will hold on the rear muscle crease of the shoulder and let her fly. I’ve never put a tape measure to the entrance hole, but my hand stretched out has either touched or just about touched the hole.

I happily admit that I will shoot in this wind situation out to 500 yards. Anything nearing 600 yards, If I can’t close the distance. It’s a pass for me.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
NO one wounded or missed either.

IMHO I can handle a less accurate gun on targets and competition because I can control my rest and wobble a lot easier.

On animals your wobble area is a lot more than most will admit. Even my slung up wobble area while competing was over .25 moa wobble.

I"ve seen wobble and pulse beats be as big or bigger easily than group size.

So my take on this. 400 yards. I want more accuracy than most will. I accept less than some will. My current test is a 4 inch diamond and I usually shoot 100-500 appx 100 yard increments. Off of a rest. One shot each distance. If the gun can't stay in that diamond as long as I'm solid on the wind, then I'm still working on the long end of that load. It tests the sig box drop program too constantly.

So lets just say if I took say 2 moa instead. 8 inches at 400 yards. Then lets ad in an honest average field wobble of 2 moa again. 16 inches. And you err on the wrong side of the wobble on the wrong average shot.. at least 16 inches off at a minimum if my brain is working this morning. Then add in a wrong distance, angular issue, wind guessed wrong... it adds up really quickly IMHO.

Clay targets seem like a fair test at some of the mid ranges like 300-500 yards as a target.

All of that said if I can't control the wobble part on my end at any distance I just won't shoot. We have those dog size deer in TX everyone makes fun of. A good size kill zone is going to be not quite a volleyball in size. Not lots of room for error.

Just my simple minded thoughts. More accuracy can never hurt. OTOH I see folks show up with 10,000 dollar plus rigs all the time that aren't sighted in and then can't even make use of what they have.

Maybe the better question is how much human error will you accept at 400 yards?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

It can't be the same for all different bullets at countless different velocities.

The BC of a bullet will impact the rate of how much more it moves laterally downrange due to wind compared to how much it moves in the first 100 yards. With a lower BC bullet, the bullet slows down more quickly. Thus, it takes more time for the bullet to go a certain distance (and that is compounded the further out you go) and thus there is more time for the wind to move it laterally per distance it travels downrange. A higher-BC bullet will be moving faster downrange. So, the wind will have less time to affect it per unit of distance out at, say, 600 yards compared to how much it moves laterally during the first 200 yards--compared to a lower-BC bullet.

So, it can't be a pure quadratic function. It varies depending on all of the circumstances, including the BC of the bullet and the initial muzzle velocity.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by MarineHawk

It can't be the same for all different bullets at countless different velocities.

The BC of a bullet will impact the rate of how much more it moves laterally downrange due to wind compared to how much it moves in the first 100 yards. With a lower BC bullet, the bullet slows down more quickly. Thus, it takes more time for the bullet to go a certain distance and thus there is more time for the wind to move it laterally. So, it can't be a pure quadratic function. It varies depending on all of the circumstances, including the BC of the bullet and the initial muzzle velocity.

As Jordan Smith posted above, wind drift is dependent on time of flight and wind speed, so it is independent of distance of bullet flight. As you state, muzzle velocity and BC will determine TOF at a specific distance.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rost495
NO one wounded or missed either.

IMHO I can handle a less accurate gun on targets and competition because I can control my rest and wobble a lot easier.

On animals your wobble area is a lot more than most will admit. Even my slung up wobble area while competing was over .25 moa wobble.

I"ve seen wobble and pulse beats be as big or bigger easily than group size.

So my take on this. 400 yards. I want more accuracy than most will. I accept less than some will. My current test is a 4 inch diamond and I usually shoot 100-500 appx 100 yard increments. Off of a rest. One shot each distance. If the gun can't stay in that diamond as long as I'm solid on the wind, then I'm still working on the long end of that load. It tests the sig box drop program too constantly.

So lets just say if I took say 2 moa instead. 8 inches at 400 yards. Then lets ad in an honest average field wobble of 2 moa again. 16 inches. And you err on the wrong side of the wobble on the wrong average shot.. at least 16 inches off at a minimum if my brain is working this morning. Then add in a wrong distance, angular issue, wind guessed wrong... it adds up really quickly IMHO.

Clay targets seem like a fair test at some of the mid ranges like 300-500 yards as a target.

All of that said if I can't control the wobble part on my end at any distance I just won't shoot. We have those dog size deer in TX everyone makes fun of. A good size kill zone is going to be not quite a volleyball in size. Not lots of room for error.

Just my simple minded thoughts. More accuracy can never hurt. OTOH I see folks show up with 10,000 dollar plus rigs all the time that aren't sighted in and then can't even make use of what they have.

Maybe the better question is how much human error will you accept at 400 yards?

Good post rost. I can definitely understand that. I see this thread pop up occasionally, but rarely read it. Yours makes a lot of sense, as I was thinking this morning that there is a difference between accuracy and precision. This thread is about accuracy, at 400 yards. I thought about it more and realized it should be about how close to POA you are, not group size. We always want to focus on group size, that would be precision, not accuracy. For me, I want to keep all my shots within 1 moa from POA (where I want to hit the critter). That is roughly 8 inches (diameter circle) at 400 yards. If you fall out of that 1 moa requirement you place on yourself, it's time for more practice. As you pointed out, that is the "human error" and "wobble" that is affecting where your bullet is landing. Also keeping in mind this thread is about 400 yards. 1 moa may be too much for a 700 yard shot and extremely small for 100 yard shots. 700 requiring more like 1/2 moa from POA, or roughly .550 MOA to remain within that 8" "volleyball" sized kill zone. Then at 100 yards, that 8" kill zone only requires 4 moa accuracy. Most guys/hunters should be able to do that offhand. If not: More practice... That is my take on accuracy. I would have posted pics for a better explanation, but some guys just get pizzed!!!! These are also requirements I place on myself. I strive for 1 shot kills. Others mileage may vary.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

353 members (12savage, 204guy, 12344mag, 16gage, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 42 invisible), 2,529 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,497
Posts18,490,467
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.