Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 26 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 25 26
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Bumping this thread up to the top as it is deer season in full swing….

Anyone having any luck with their 223’s on deer???

Originally Posted by Someone
Why pack all that messy meat out of the bush when we can just go to the grocery store where meat is made? Hell,if they sold antlers I would save so much money I could afford to go Dolphin fishing. Maybe even a baby seal safari.
GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by KodiakHntr
Bumping this thread up to the top as it is deer season in full swing….

Anyone having any luck with their 223’s on deer???

Doesn’t work and a terrible idea. Prove me wrong. I won’t believe it unless I see video preferably using. 88gr eld…like anyone would use match bullets on big and bigger game.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Why not, “Karamajo” Bell killed 800 elephants with a 7X57, that means anyone can kill anything with small calibers and fast twist…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
SchitSmell REALLY "knows" her stuff. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

I've often wondered about .224" merits,so please expound. Hint.................(grin)

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Kaleb
Doesn’t work and a terrible idea. Prove me wrong. I won’t believe it unless I see video preferably using. 88gr eld…like anyone would use match bullets on big and bigger game.

You are probably right. Match bullets on bigger game probably isn’t something anyone would do.

*Although*, I did watch this video several times that would indicate otherwise.

Last edited by KodiakHntr; 11/13/22.

Why pack all that messy meat out of the bush when we can just go to the grocery store where meat is made? Hell,if they sold antlers I would save so much money I could afford to go Dolphin fishing. Maybe even a baby seal safari.
IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Awesome! I can’t log into the other site for some reason to comment. I have a montana and a 1-7” lilja in California right now. Might even have some 88’s. My 88’s are seconds though so I may have to stick to deers. Well that and we don’t have as many moose down south as you might think…haha. Cool video thanks for posting.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I was fairly surprised to see that bear out on the field to be honest, but after the moose the day before I was pretty confident of the outcome….

My Montana will be getting a 1:7 for 88’s after seeing what this one does on meat. Spun that quick they just bore holes like a buzzsaw.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Kaleb
Awesome! I can’t log into the other site for some reason to comment. I have a montana and a 1-7” lilja in California right now. Might even have some 88’s. My 88’s are seconds though so I may have to stick to deers. Well that and we don’t have as many moose down south as you might think…haha. Cool video thanks for posting.

I’ve a pair of Montana’s getting the same treatment- CA, Lilja 1-7, 88s.

Yup.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I’ve a feeling I’ll want the other montana to go in too after getting this one back. I’m glad he’s getting to go a run of them…haha. Maybe that makes it a little bit easier for him.

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][/img]
Rifles Inc Strata, .223 vanilla, 75 gr Gold Dot, about 100 yards bang flop. I have no idea how many deer, hogs and pronghorns my boys and I have taken with the .223.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
my opinion it will work just fine in the hands of an experienced Hunter and shooter when loaded with proper bullet selection. most generic off the wall factory ammo really isn't suitable. and so many in this chambering get given to people without the experience and shooting skill levels to make a good judgment when to shoot and where to shoot let alone have the ability to hit the spot they need to shoot..

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
He'll no some can't kill deer with a .243.

Life is good live it while you can.
L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
He'll no some can't kill deer with a .243.
Na, a .223 is plenty. Use the right bullet and shoot straight. These does were taken with a single shot each this morning. My son used a 64 gr Gold Dot and I used a 75 gr Gold Dot, both deer were heart lung shots and both ran about 30 yards after the shot.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][/img]

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Bump

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
I was spreading manure on the back pasture and spotted a doe in the timber. She was broadside at first but pivoted around to quartering hard towards me. I decided to take a neck shot. I didn't have a 223 on me but did have a 22-250 slinging 55 grain psp's from Big Green.

Entrance:

Exit:

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
my dad used to kill deer with a 22 hornet, at moderate ranges. it worked just fine. hit in the lungs they never ran more than and other thing they were hit with. over the years i have killed too many to remember with 223, 22-250 and 220 swift. i have never lost a deer from one of those rounds and i have killed many! most people that say no have no experience at all shooting deer with a hot 22 high power rifle. a couple of years ago i was overrun with does, they had to be thinned out. i have a friend who has a 17 Remington, i told him i wanted to do an experiment with it. he brought it and we went hunting. he shot a 100LB doe at a measured 100yds behind the shoulder. she bounced off 40yds or so and fell dead. the bullet was a hand loaded 25gr. Hornaday HP. it took out 3 ribs going in, it made liquid out of both lungs. i am not saying a 17 rem. is a deer round, but it didn't bounce off either. this is what it done,,,,,,,,,,,[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I have never harvested a animal but I have killed quite a few,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
A friend of mine used to thin the herd on some kind of permit. He used a Rem 700 in 22-250 in a Sendero type configuration, and I think he was using 50 grain Ballistic Tips for rib cage shots. The typical reaction was them tipping over and twitching a bit.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can't believe the number of self proclaimed experts who say the 223 is anything but fine for deer.
Look on paper, it shoots flat, fast and has enough energy. What trait doesn't kill deer?

And those who are trying to virtue signal by saying "yeah it'll work but there's so many better options out there" are even worse! Grow a pair and make a stand on what you think, even if it is wrong. Don't try to shield it with statements like above, sheesh.

A 223 is just fine for deer, which is why we recommend it to kids and small framed people to use if they are recoil shy. 1. There's usually a 223 available to borrow and 2. They flat work and 3. it will be a positive experience.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
well i have used many calibers over the decades. and a deer hit with a 22-250, 223, 9 times out of 10 it is like a light switch being turned off! it is the hyper velocity and shock. i shoot a 6mm rem. a good bit, with a 85gr. Sierra gameking BTHP, and it will almost duplicate a 22-250 when it contacts a deer, instant death!

Last edited by OLSKOOL; 12/16/22.

I have never harvested a animal but I have killed quite a few,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mathman
A friend of mine used to thin the herd on some kind of permit. He used a Rem 700 in 22-250 in a Sendero type configuration, and I think he was using 50 grain Ballistic Tips for rib cage shots. The typical reaction was them tipping over and twitching a bit.

My uncle did some of this with Wildlife and Fisheries when they needed some test samples. He took his 22-250 and stuck to lung shots on deer out in the open. He said the effects were typically about what you mention, and the lungs looked like you'd put a small grenade in there.

Now with even more aplomb
Page 14 of 26 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 25 26

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (16penny, 1936M71, 1Akshooter, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 61 invisible), 2,440 guests, and 888 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,807
Posts18,496,383
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.