Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Originally Posted by SKane
Weird how so many guys who say they'd shoot any deer alive anywhere in the Country with a .223 also own and deer hunt with 7mm-08's, .308's, .280's, .358's etc. etc.. and many will even proclaim one of those bigger cartridges as their favorite deer cartridge. If the .223 is so great, you'd think it would be their favorite deer cartridge and all their deer rifles would be chambered for it.

The OP's question wasn't what's the best but twist it however works for ya.

Original question:
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Is the .223 Remington an adequate cartridge for deer out to a distance of 250 yards?
Let the schit-slinging begin.
You bring up an excellent point. There are many circumstances where I deem a 223 to absolutely be the best for a deer hunt. Which is why the 223 gets hunted. If I thought something else was better, I'd be an idiot to keep hunting and advocating for hunting with a 223.
What would some of those circumstances be ? What advantages does it offer if you don't have a shoulder as tender as that of a young, virgin maiden and can shoot something bigger just as well ?

Advantage? EVERYONE shoots a 223 better than they do a higher recoiling round.
I can shoot tighter groups with my 6.5 Creedmoor or my .243 than with my .223.

It's a well established fact that with rifles that are equally accurate, mortal people will shoot better with the milder recoiling rounds. Formidolosis runs thousands of shooters through his courses. He'll tell you the exact same thing.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Blackheart hasn’t killed anything besides newborn puppies and kittens. Don’t waste your time on him.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Weird how so many guys who say they'd shoot any deer alive anywhere in the Country with a .223 also own and deer hunt with 7mm-08's, .308's, .280's, .358's etc. etc.. and many will even proclaim one of those bigger cartridges as their favorite deer cartridge. If the .223 is so great, you'd think it would be their favorite deer cartridge and all their deer rifles would be chambered for it.

The OP's question wasn't what's the best but twist it however works for ya.

Original question:
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Is the .223 Remington an adequate cartridge for deer out to a distance of 250 yards?
Let the schit-slinging begin.
You bring up an excellent point. There are many circumstances where I deem a 223 to absolutely be the best for a deer hunt. Which is why the 223 gets hunted. If I thought something else was better, I'd be an idiot to keep hunting and advocating for hunting with a 223.
What would some of those circumstances be ? What advantages does it offer if you don't have a shoulder as tender as that of a young, virgin maiden and can shoot something bigger just as well ?

Advantage? EVERYONE shoots a 223 better than they do a higher recoiling round.
I can shoot tighter groups with my 6.5 Creedmoor or my .243 than with my .223.

It's a well established fact that with rifles that are equally accurate, mortal people will shoot better with the milder recoiling rounds. Formidolosis runs thousands of shooters through his courses. He'll tell you the exact same thing.
I don't much care what formidolosus says. I know what I can do with my rifles and where my recoil tolerance threshold is.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Blackheart hasn’t killed anything besides newborn puppies and kittens. Don’t waste your time on him.
You don't know a goddam thing about me or much of anything else you worthless little pig fuggin pissant so why don't you do the world a favor and just STFU.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hipshoot
If that is all you can afford------STILL NO !

Hip

I’m really at a loss in understanding how any experienced hunter that’s killed enough animals, not fathoming the .223 being adequate to kill a whitetail.

Folks need to put grandpappy’s perspectives in the rear view mirror.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
You don't know a goddam thing about me or much of anything else you worthless little pig fuggin pissant so why don't you do the world a favor and just STFU.
I have an idea. I'm gonna buy a baby sheep doll off Amazon and ship to you. You put a red push pin on the doll where you've been hurt. Return to sender and therapy will be on the way.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Hip

I’m really at a loss in understanding how any experienced hunter that’s killed enough animals, not fathoming the .223 not being adequate to kill a whitetail.

Shoot, where I grew up, the 222 and 222 Mag were big medicine. Still wouldn’t give it a thought if that’s what I had or wanted to use.

Semper Fi
L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by RCflash
IMHO the smaller calibers would be fine on the smaller deer, but not so much on the deer we have here in Minnesota.

There isn't a deer in North America that I'd hesitate to vent with a .223.
The .223 is my favorite deer, varmint, predator, target, and fun cartridge. There is no deer extant I would be afraid to take with the proper bullet out to 300 yards. Every deer here was killed with a single shot from a 223, 22-250 or .357 magnum. Their just deer!
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][/url]

Last edited by LBP; 12/16/22.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by LBP
IMHO the smaller calibers would be fine on the smaller deer, but not so much on the deer we have here in Minnesota.

The .223 is my favorite deer, varmint, predator, target, and fun cartridge. There is no deer extant I would be afraid to take with the proper bullet out to 300 yards. Every deer here was killed with a single shot from a 223, 22-250 or .357 magnum. Their just deer!
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][/url]
Great photos! Love looking at happy youngsters posing with their animals! Congratulations!

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
IC B3

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by LBP

Great photos! Love looking at happy youngsters posing with their animals! Congratulations!

Thank You Sir!

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
for handloading a great projectile for the 222 all the way up to 220 swift is the WW power point sp. they have a thick jacket, and they will mushroom to perfection and kills deer very nicely. i know they may be impossible to come by now, but i have about 500 of them, one day i will put them to good use. for years in the 70s in a 22-250 i used a speer 70gr. semi pointed sp. they worked well, then i found out the Hornaday 60gr. flat base HP had a thick jacket and in there 1979 loading manual they even recommended it for deer out of a 22-250, i started using it and i killed a truck load of deer with that bullet,,,,,,,,,,,,

Last edited by OLSKOOL; 12/17/22.

I have never harvested a animal but I have killed quite a few,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by beretzs

Hip

I’m really at a loss in understanding how any experienced hunter that’s killed enough animals, not fathoming the .223 being adequate to kill a whitetail.

Shoot, where I grew up, the 222 and 222 Mag were big medicine. Still wouldn’t give it a thought if that’s what I had or wanted to use.

Exactly. Because it worked - and people did so by trial/experience, not opinion.

My state is filled with hunters that have never killed a deer with anything but their trusty 30.06 yet still have all kinds of opinions on what won't work for killing deer.

Deer hunting is steeped in tradition here (like many places around the country). It's also steeped in a lot of bullszchit that's been passed down over the years based on opinion rather than experience. laugh

WWP53D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’m sure it’s covered in the many pages, yes the 223 will kill deer.

Let’s say you have a 175 yard shot at that nice 10 pointer, not an ideal presentation. OBTW, the deer is 50 yards from the adjoining landowner’s line, who you don’t get along great with. I don’t think the 223 would be great in that scenario.

Another thing, say you book a hunt with a Kansas deer outfitter. When you talk guns you say you plan on bringing a 223. I’d think most would think of that as a little lite.

If you’re on the back 40 in the box blind, shooting semi-tame deer at 30-50 yards, yes the 223 is just fine. I agree it’s good for more than that, just saying, I think one can find instances where it comes up short.

One year we dealt with 5 deer that were dead or wounded from the neighbors hunting efforts. I realize on the forums everyone usually anchors their deer, one shot. Oh course none of the 5 deer mentioned were likely hit with a 223.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

These are with my .340 Wby at 100 yds. I must be really super amazing with a .223, given the "well-established fact."

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have taken whitetail and antelope with a 223 but think there are better tools for the job

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

My daughter was extremely shy about rifles. We’d spent a bunch of time with 22’s and she was an excellent shot. When it came time to deer hunt I tried to get her to use a reduced load in a 243. It was no joy.

Luckily an old fella let us borrow a 222 Rem and I’d loaded up some 50 BTs that she loved to shoot. It worked fine for her. Different strokes for different folks. I like them all, as long as it is legal.

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My younger son took his first deer 5 years ago with the .243 Hornady reduced-recoil loads, which have about the same energy as a .223. One shot at 130 yards, and it dropped in its tracks.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
some say there are better choices than 223 and such, well, it is hard to argue with all the photos of dead deer! it don't get no better than dead,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I have never harvested a animal but I have killed quite a few,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
One of my first hunts as a teenager was close to Uvalde Texas. While deer hunting a big 275 lb Russian boar came from my right to left offering a trotting 300 yd broadside shot. My dad taught me how to shoot and gave me plenty of opportunities to practice at a 300 yd rifle range close to home. I was carrying a model 70 30-06 with handloaded 200gr Sierra Gamekings. I'm glad my dad didn't stick a 223 in my hands prior to that hunt. Didn't see any deer that hunt, but I came home with bacon. For heavier game at longer range there's no way I'd choose to carry a varmint round.

Page 17 of 26 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 25 26

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

528 members (1OntarioJim, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 219DW, 1234, 55 invisible), 2,388 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,801
Posts18,496,290
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.