Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
After several years, my Frankford case trimmer finally gave up the ghost. Naturally, it died in the middle of prepping cases for a prairie dog shoot next summer. I'm now in the market and looking for recommendations for a new one that hopefully will be as easy to use as my old one.

I would invest in a WFT but I have several cases that are obsolete and likely not available from Crow River. Plus the cost to get my main ones would be higher than I can afford at the moment.

I've looked at the Lyman trimmer that is similar to the Frankford but I would like something a little easier on the thumb. Plus, I think I decreased the Frankford's life being a bit aggressive on the case.

Ideally, price would be under $300 but am able to go double if necessary. I can get by in the short term with my drill powered Lyman but it is kind of awkward to use and takes up a lot of room. It works well for smaller batches but it takes a bit of time when trimming a couple thousand or more 223 cases.

Thanks for any suggestions, I hope to get back to prepping after Christmas.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by woodmaster81
After several years, my Frankford case trimmer finally gave up the ghost. Naturally, it died in the middle of prepping cases for a prairie dog shoot next summer. I'm now in the market and looking for recommendations for a new one that hopefully will be as easy to use as my old one.

I would invest in a WFT but I have several cases that are obsolete and likely not available from Crow River. Plus the cost to get my main ones would be higher than I can afford at the moment.

I've looked at the Lyman trimmer that is similar to the Frankford but I would like something a little easier on the thumb. Plus, I think I decreased the Frankford's life being a bit aggressive on the case.

Ideally, price would be under $300 but am able to go double if necessary. I can get by in the short term with my drill powered Lyman but it is kind of awkward to use and takes up a lot of room. It works well for smaller batches but it takes a bit of time when trimming a couple thousand or more 223 cases.

A WFT2 setup would likely come in well under your budget.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

After you get a new one, let us know how it compares to the Frankford Arsenal. That is what I use and don't have any issues with it at all. You must prep a ton of brass/year. I've had mine for about 5 years now and it still runs like a top. At most, I'll run 500 pcs of brass through it per week. Most times about 2-300 pcs.. However, I have ran batches as big as 1,200 pcs a couple times. I like it as a case prep center, but do realize there are other trimmers out there that are quicker. Now, whether those are going to be easier on your hands and "thumb". I don't know. I hear you on that, but I highly doubt you'll find one that is totally easy on the hands/thumb. Let us know though, I'm sure you are going to get a schidt load of suggestions, but how much better are they going to be than the FA?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Maybe 7-8 years ago I lucked into a used Gracey trimmer, which came with the "shell-holders" for several of the varmint cases I loaded. Back then I was shooting a LOT of ground squirrels and prairie dogs, and using a Giraud cutter (which also fits in the Gracey) it trimmed AND chamfered cases faster than anything e;se I've ever tried--and I have tried a bunch, including some suggested here as just as fast, and actually timed the output.

Of course, a Giraud would trim as fast, but this Gracey happened to be there at the right time. Don't load as much "burrowing rodent" ammo as I did back then, but that's partly because it was easy to trim so much brass so fast that I ended up loading ammo that I'm still shooting....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

After you get a new one, let us know how it compares to the Frankford Arsenal. That is what I use and don't have any issues with it at all. You must prep a ton of brass/year. I've had mine for about 5 years now and it still runs like a top. At most, I'll run 500 pcs of brass through it per week. Most times about 2-300 pcs.. However, I have ran batches as big as 1,200 pcs a couple times. I like it as a case prep center, but do realize there are other trimmers out there that are quicker. Now, whether those are going to be easier on your hands and "thumb". I don't know. I hear you on that, but I highly doubt you'll find one that is totally easy on the hands/thumb. Let us know though, I'm sure you are going to get a schidt load of suggestions, but how much better are they going to be than the FA?

Which FA are you using?

IC B2

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The Dillon works well.

Retired cat herder.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Which FA are you using?

I'm using their platinum prep center, I believe.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I decided I was old enough and deserved a powered case trimmer to ward off carpal tunnel syndrome. So I kind've retired my Forsters and bought the new Lyman powered trimmer. The jury is still out but so far I like it.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
RCBS TrimPro with 3 in 1 cutter powered by Dewalt.

Swifty
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I'm fixing to sell to RCBS power trimmers one of them has a universal shell holder one of them has all the plates of shell holder types for three-way cutters total and a whole [bleep] of pilots. going to turn this all into one Henderson trimmer....

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Thanks MD, I would love to stumble across either of those on the used table but so far they have avoided me. I really like the idea of chamfering and deburring while trimming. I've been turning as many components into ammo as I can when I can to lessen the chore later. I was about half way through the third 50 caliber ammo can of 223 brass when the trimmer gave out.

BSA and Paul,

I too, have the Platinum case trimmer prep tool. The problem is the trimmer freezes up if anything more than slight pressure is applied. Turn it off and it starts right back up. I took it apart and it appears some of the teeth are rounded. Not positive about that but it kind of looks that way.

I've kind of abused the machine over the years, I've been known to trim some reformed cases to size when it may have been better to use a saw or grinder. Oops. I don't do marathon trimming sessions much but I will set up the trimmer and trim a few handfuls every time I let the dogs out, feed them, or whenever I'm in the basement. That can add up to a bunch in a short time.

I've looked at the WFT but I have something like 50 rifle cartridges I load to one degree or another with many of them not likely being available. At $70 apiece that would be cost prohibitive even if I could get it for the obsolete ones.

Thanks for the ideas, so far I'm either going to try the Lyman due to cost or maybe the RCBS as it also chamfers and deburs while trimming. I'm not definite on those choices and can be easily swayed to something else.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Does the motor stall out under this pressure, or can you still here it running? If running it sounds like a gear problem you described, if motor stops it could be worn brushes against the motor commutator.

https://www.topdealsonline.shop/blogs/blog/when-to-change-your-power-tool-carbon-brushes

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Definitely a gear problem as the motor keeps running with a high pitched squeal/whine. Some of the teeth appear to be worn though I did not take the machine apart enough to get a detailed look.
I probably could find new gears and repair it but I kind of want a different trimmer. I'm not buying guns like I did so have to find a different outlet for my excess cash.lol

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks MD, I would love to stumble across either of those on the used table but so far they have avoided me. I really like the idea of chamfering and deburring while trimming. I've been turning as many components into ammo as I can when I can to lessen the chore later. I was about half way through the third 50 caliber ammo can of 223 brass when the trimmer gave out.

BSA and Paul,

I too, have the Platinum case trimmer prep tool. The problem is the trimmer freezes up if anything more than slight pressure is applied. Turn it off and it starts right back up. I took it apart and it appears some of the teeth are rounded. Not positive about that but it kind of looks that way.

I've kind of abused the machine over the years, I've been known to trim some reformed cases to size when it may have been better to use a saw or grinder. Oops. I don't do marathon trimming sessions much but I will set up the trimmer and trim a few handfuls every time I let the dogs out, feed them, or whenever I'm in the basement. That can add up to a bunch in a short time.

I've looked at the WFT but I have something like 50 rifle cartridges I load to one degree or another with many of them not likely being available. At $70 apiece that would be cost prohibitive even if I could get it for the obsolete ones.

Thanks for the ideas, so far I'm either going to try the Lyman due to cost or maybe the RCBS as it also chamfers and deburs while trimming. I'm not definite on those choices and can be easily swayed to something else.

Thanks for the explanation. I always eyeball the 3 way cutters. I like the idea of trimming and chamfering at the same time as well. Keep us posted on what you end up with. If it's better than the Frankford Arsenal, I'd be willing to give it a try as well. Good luck with your decision.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Forster case trimmer with power drill adapter and 3 in 1 cutter attachment works great for large jobs.

Dyin' ain't much of a livin' boy - Josey Wales
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ll point out that the WFT2 uses one main trimmer body with different shouldered inserts for various shoulder geometries. No need to spend $70 per chambering, and those that share shoulder geometry use the same insert.

https://www.littlecrowgunworks.com/store1/WFT2-Trimmer-&-Chambers-c31512829

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AU338MAG
Forster case trimmer with power drill adapter and 3 in 1 cutter attachment works great for large jobs.

With all the poor corded drills out there that aren't being used, that would be a good way to put them back to good use. I'll be most of us here have a corded drill that they don't use anymore..

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by AU338MAG
+10 and Lyman makes a power drive cutter for theirs also

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Drill press with a Forster collet case holder and three way cutter. Gracey and Giraud and perhaps others would be faster but the drill press, especially with a foot switch, is fast enough and easy on the hands - an important point as well as handy to have around for the money. I don't have three way cutters for all possible cartridges but the available piloted single cutter means there's nothing I can't trim and cheaply. I also have a couple of Forster bases and a deluxe micrometer L.W. Wilson with assorted case holders for low volume easy setup. The drill press is very good for 5.56 range scrap that after full length, even small base, resizing needs a lot of metal removed.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
THIS.....is what I use as well.

Frog---OUT!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

420 members (10Glocks, 163bc, 12344mag, 1badf350, 160user, 17CalFan, 30 invisible), 2,241 guests, and 1,057 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,453
Posts18,529,007
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.