Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
There are methods to mitigate recoil in snub guns. After firing thousands of rounds through J frames, I started modifying mine. I take a strip of material along the narrow backstrap that cushions the effect of recoil. It helps considerably. It also fits my XL hands much better.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Plus I load mine with wadcutters. This is not just for recoil management but for the terminal performance, as JHPs in short barrels tend not to expand, and wadcutters have an excellent reputation for deep and consistent penetration, in spite of their relatively sedate velocity.

The small autos like the shield are easier to shoot quickly (in my opinion) but there are situations where I still prefer a snubby revolver. They are a quite practical tool. Both have their advantages and disadvantages, and one needs to weigh them accordingly and see what works for them.

One of the things I like about the LCR's is the grip. They basically do what Mackay has done. They designed the grip well.

I pocket carry a .357 LCR often. I never shoot .357's in it but I wanted the little extra weight (17.1 oz vs 13.5) over the 38 version to make it a little easier to shoot (and the option for snake loads I have in 357 brass). It's not a range gun but it's not terrible to shoot with hot 38's either. Both the grips and the touch of extra weight help there.

GB1

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
I always "choked up" on my 340 and 642. The web between my thumb and index finger was up at the top of the rear strap. It cut down on the "snap" quite a bit.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I was asked this question again and instead of re-writing the same thing again, I figured I would bump up this thread.

The standard pressure wadcutters are a lower recoil option. The penetrate deep and straight and are not required to open up to work. Brick simple and very effective. Super popular with knowledgeable handgunners, old school cops, etc. It is what I generally recommend for people to use in the snub nose guns.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by UPhiker
It's interesting that we have this thread in the Handgun forum about taming recoil in a lightweight J frame, yet, up in the Campfire forum, many people are saying it's a perfect gun for new female shooters.

Yeah well, in a steel frame yes they are good for females. I have a 640 .357 and it is nice to shoot with 38+P ammo. Very accurate and recoil is not bad. Spouse used it for CCL shooting test and did quite well. The grips fit my hands very nicely though so that is a plus as far as managing recoil. Mine has a square butt frame for the grip.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
MackaySagebrush and JCMCubic are both tried and true snubby guys. I trust their word and carry Mackay’s recommended load in my 442. Zero trouble training and being accurate. Recoil is manageable.

IC B2

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I had a similar experience when I first started shooting snubbies. I simply wasn't used to the experience of shooting a lightweight revolver. My advice to anyone shooting a lighweight revolver is to shoot wadcutters and keep the round counts low as you ease into it. Your hand will adjust and you'll get used to it. It's worth the effort - they're a lot of fun to shoot.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I used to like to tinker… yeah I’d be taking some drill bits to those wad cutter's.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I had an SP 101 in .357 magnum for a number of years before my brother decided he needed it more than I did. I put Hogues on it early in the relationship and it became painless to shoot, but never really controllable with full-house .357’s. I now EDC an Sig 365 and, for me, it’s almost like shooting a full size 9mm. Yes, there’s more recoil, but it’s not the least bit painful and very, very controllable. It shoots like a bigger gun. I surprised myself recently with how fast I could run a rack of plates with it, much better than I ever could with the SP 101.

There’s a woman who shoots IDPA with us. Her husband mentioned last week that the first time she picked up a gun was a year ago. I’ve watched her for several months now and she’s made very quick and noticeable progress with her 365.

Mathew 22: 37-39

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
I have a beretta Nano and a Colt Magnum Carry. The Nano is loaded with Speer 124gr+P Gold Dots and the Magnum Carry is loaded with Remington 125gr Golden Sabres, in my opinion both recoil at about the same level.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

491 members (17CalFan, 160user, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 44 invisible), 2,172 guests, and 1,144 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,248
Posts18,486,205
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.