Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Dude, so if you go head over heels on a root ball and said gun is pointing at said lad there are worse endeavors?

Gimme a break...

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Let me call my mom and check with her, be right back...

You better not be offending your mom........ grin

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
CAS just gave me a reminder why I keep logging in here. And he can say things MUCH better than I can.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
CAS being smarter than you has never been in question.........grin

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Dude, so if you go head over heels on a root ball and said gun is pointing at said lad there are worse endeavors?

Gimme a break...

You go out in your boat and it capsizes and you drown--is it better.....or I have my son and some drunk driver crosses the lane and head-on's me--should I endeavor to never drive at night?

I'm careful, I am aware of where my rifle is pointed, and I think ahead of where my rifle COULD end up pointed.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
No doubt! I'm grateful for all the good info I can get.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Do you have control over another driver? Do you have control of having one in your chamber or not? Do you have control of your rifle should you stumble down a hill?

We can play these games all night, but in the end the only way to be sure that your rifle doesn't shoot someone when you don't have control over it is with an empty chamber.

My ego ain't so big as to be more than willing to acknowledge that I can't always be careful (terrian situations).

Yes, life is risk but I tend to put as much in my favor as possible. I'm assuming the lad doesn't wear a seat belt either, since I'm sure you are a CAREFUL driver?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Isn't it actually the assumption that the gun is "unloaded" that gets most folks in trouble with accidental firearm discharge?

If so, we should treat every firearm as if it is loaded and campfire brother, Steelhead, should not carry a firearm "whilst" walking in ROUGH terrain.

(Pot stirring... in progress) smile

"Everyone who receives the protection of society owes a return for the benefit." -- John Stuart Mill
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
What the heck is a "terrian situation"?....... grin

Casey

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm not sure why it is so difficult for folks to understand that in ROUGH country you don't always have control of your weapon.

I'm not suggesting that you aren't an unsafe gun handler, but I am saying you are an IDIOT if you believe that one can NEVER fall whilst navigating real estate.

That's all!

I'll play some more... why not. :-)

OK, and I have fallen and will fall again. So what? Anyone with any sense at all could look at the rifle I carried HOT all elk season, and fell with a couple times, and see that there's mechanically no way it could fire in such a situation. It was- get this! - designed that way.

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
What rifle might that be?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Calvin
What isn't amusing about a guy who shoots in low light, tight quarters, at things that jump up, can't get flip-ups to work in drizzle, scares off deer by clicking the safety, doesn't have time to chamber a round, and is baffled by the complexity of unchambering a round?

Calvin... no offence, but what the HELL is going through your head!? You still smoking that legal weed up there or something?

YES I shoot in low light. YES I shoot and hunt in tight quarters. YES I have killed deer that jumped up. NO Butler Ck. scope covers will not keep your lenses dry in a day-long drizzle. YES I get so close to deer that the sound of the safety becomes a concern. What is wierd about any of THAT?

YES I am smart enough to know that first, my rifle and I are perfectly safe with a round chambered, and second, that in the terrain I hunt in, and the quarry I hunt, to have to chamber a round upon seeing a deer would be LUDICROUS. STUPID. IDIOTIC. and it wouldn't work very well as far as killing deer.

I think you are like the anti-gunners who say that since they couldn't handle being around a firearm without freaking out and killing someone, therefore nobody should have them. Apparantly, you are incapable of safe gun handling and therefore are insulting the rest of us, telling us we are flat-out dangerous, because YOU can't do it. Well, that's a YOU problem.

Finally, look at any modern firearm and explain to me how it could fire with the safety on, anyway. You can't.

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
You are a [bleep] idiot, nuff said.

Can't imagine how any safety could fail, or how any gun could be knocked off safe when falling.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Jeff_Olsen
Originally Posted by Calvin
What isn't amusing about a guy who shoots in low light, tight quarters, at things that jump up, can't get flip-ups to work in drizzle, scares off deer by clicking the safety, doesn't have time to chamber a round, and is baffled by the complexity of unchambering a round?

Calvin... no offence, but what the HELL is going through your head!? You still smoking that legal weed up there or something?

YES I shoot in low light. YES I shoot and hunt in tight quarters. YES I have killed deer that jumped up. NO Butler Ck. scope covers will not keep your lenses dry in a day-long drizzle. YES I get so close to deer that the sound of the safety becomes a concern. What is wierd about any of THAT?

YES I am smart enough to know that first, my rifle and I are perfectly safe with a round chambered, and second, that in the terrain I hunt in, and the quarry I hunt, to have to chamber a round upon seeing a deer would be LUDICROUS. STUPID. IDIOTIC. and it wouldn't work very well as far as killing deer.

I think you are like the anti-gunners who say that since they couldn't handle being around a firearm without freaking out and killing someone, therefore nobody should have them. Apparantly, you are incapable of safe gun handling and therefore are insulting the rest of us, telling us we are flat-out dangerous, because YOU can't do it. Well, that's a YOU problem.

Finally, look at any modern firearm and explain to me how it could fire with the safety on, anyway. You can't.

-jeff

Had to keep it quoted so it didn't go anywhere.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah, me and all the other guys hunting with rounds in the chamber are [bleep] idiots. Nice, Steelhead! Way to insult 90% of the hunting world, complete with some VERY safe and experienced hunters.

You are at the pinnacle of arrogance. You have something that works where you hunt- which may I point out is loaded with game- and are then projecting your holier than thou bullshit attitude on the rest of us. Come hunt where I hunt and after a few years of tag soup, the result of chambering a round for no good reason, I think you'd be carrying chambered too. Most likely, you'd give up on hunting if you had to hunt somewhere that game wasn't practically trampling you...

At any rate, this is silly. You are wrong, but you'll never admit it, and it's less amusing the more profane and insulting you get... let's argue about God or something and get truly wound up, instead of this stoopid BS.

Actually, to be clear for the OTHER folks reading this- the rational ones not just looking to amuse themselves by being a jerk- you are not wrong. Nothing wrong with carrying with an empty chamber. Where you ARE wrong is in your stance that it's not possible to hunt safely with a round in the chamber. Wrong.

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I got scared straight about ten years ago when slipping in on some elk I chambered a round and put the safety on. The herd had moved a little and I had to crawl through a thicket and expected to see them any second. I glanced down and noticed my safety had been pushed into the "FIRE" position while crawling through the brush. I literally felt sick thinking what could have happened.

For some strange reason, accidents are always unexpected.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
All I can say is wow. I think they make medication for that....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Calvin, I quoted it for you (and Steelhead, since he's having so much fun with it)... would you care to pick this apart and explain what the problems are? Since I'm insane and you are a genius, and all that. Here it is:

Jeff Olsen says:

"YES I shoot in low light. YES I shoot and hunt in tight quarters. YES I have killed deer that jumped up. NO Butler Ck. scope covers will not keep your lenses dry in a day-long drizzle. YES I get so close to deer that the sound of the safety becomes a concern. What is wierd about any of THAT?

YES I am smart enough to know that first, my rifle and I are perfectly safe with a round chambered, and second, that in the terrain I hunt in, and the quarry I hunt, to have to chamber a round upon seeing a deer would be LUDICROUS. STUPID. IDIOTIC. and it wouldn't work very well as far as killing deer."

Seriously man. Take it apart. I dare ya. You too Steelhead. Let's go!

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
People don't carry cocked and locked? I don't know anyone that hunts without one in the chamber. Interesting.

I take it some of you don't carry concealed, either. Need to have one in the chamber for that. Probably WAY too dangerous.

The posts where people talk about falling or whatever with a chambered round had me rolling! Tons of people get shot that way. Toooo funny!

I wish in my years in an Airborne unit that I would have been told not to chamber a round while negotiating "rough terrain"! "Hey wait Mr. Hostile Force, don't shoot at me yet! I have to chamber a round!" Man, is there some dumb $hit posted on this board!

Here's a tip...if you don't feel safe with one in the chamber, chances are you're not. Don't do it then. I would refrain from telling other people not to chamber a round because of your inexperience, however.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Dude, deer hunting ain't life or death. Carrying with an empty chamber has nothing to do with inexperience. That fact that folks say it is as safe to carry loaded as unloaded is [bleep] funny.

How the [bleep] do you go from deer hunting to COMBAT in one sentence?

Ding, ding......

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (163bc, 007FJ, 1234, 17CalFan, 1936M71, 10gaugeman, 49 invisible), 1,797 guests, and 1,143 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,106
Posts18,522,502
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.