Print Thread
Hop To
T
TX35W Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
In case anyone was thinking about getting one of these for Christmas, here are my thoughts after owning one for a month or two. I've run various Glocks in 10mm (G20's and G40's) for 15 years or so but always wanted something with a smaller grip dimension.

Long story short: this thing is not going to replace my G20, though I like the ergos better. I wish I'd waited a few months and seen what other folks thought.

The good:
-Great aggressive factory grip texture, if you're shooting this with wet hands, it's excellent. Slide serrations front and rear also excellent.
-With a few different types of 180gr ball ammo, it's about as accurate as my G20. 3-4" groups at 50 yards. The gun is probably mechanically more accurate than that but it's got a .125 front sight and a .145 rear sight gap and that's about as well as I can shoot it.

The bad:
-With all the 200gr hardcast I tried (ie, all my main carry loads, Underwood and Buffalo Bore), groups ran in the 10-12" range at 50 yards. On the target backer, not the target.

-Quite a number of FTFs with 200gr XTP loads. Might be a wimpy mag spring. Sort of don't care.

All in all...it makes me appreciate my G20, which has eaten several thousand rounds of various types of 180gr and 200gr ammo and seems basically accurate with everything.

Far as this M&P, who knows, might have gotten a bad one.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That’s pretty disappointing. Might have to take another look at an XDM Elite.

Still on the fence on the XTEN…

Last edited by AZtwins; 12/20/22.
T
TX35W Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I would definitely wait and see if they get the bugs worked out of this one.

I put low 10K's of rounds through various XDMs back in the day and had nothing but good luck, but haven't shot one in 10mm.

This has me a little soured on cheating on my Glock though.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'm assuming you have the 4" version, the longer barrel version doesn't have the same reported problems. I've had similar issues and posted in another thread here about them. Mine does seem to be running much better than original AFTER I put on a holosun and metal mounting plate. I think the slide is too light and the extra few ounces helped slow it down in both directions allowing the mag to keep up with the feeding issues. I have not tried LHC in it since adding the sight, but Underwood 200 grain at a measured 1158fps (from this gun) has ran 100% in four mags.

Accuracy of lead in any gun I have is almost always worse than copper jacketed bullets. Velocity is usually higher though. 10-12" at 50 yards is a disappointment, I'd expect about 8" which is 4" at 25 and 2ish at 10 yards. Most of my lead bullets out of a service pistol can't do better than 2" out 10 yards. Most shooters can't hold 2" at 10 yards standing, but that's a different issue.

ETA. The new Sig Xten is proving to be a real gem. It's the same size the G20 despite having a full 5" barrel. The trigger is good, better than a Glock, but nothing like an APEX trigger which is an option in the SW2.0. I do wish the Xten had a safety (and in hind sight would have gotten one with the 2.0 10mm smith). Both the SW and Xten have the striker at full cock, unlike a Glock.

Last edited by Mountain10mm; 12/20/22.
T
TX35W Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
I'm assuming you have the 4" version, the longer barrel version doesn't have the same reported problems. I've had similar issues and posted in another thread here about them. Mine does seem to be running much better than original AFTER I put on a holosun and metal mounting plate. I think the slide is too light and the extra few ounces helped slow it down in both directions allowing the mag to keep up with the feeding issues. I have not tried LHC in it since adding the sight, but Underwood 200 grain at a measured 1158fps (from this gun) has ran 100% in four mags.

Accuracy of lead in any gun I have is almost always worse than copper jacketed bullets. Velocity is usually higher though. 10-12" at 50 yards is a disappointment, I'd expect about 8" which is 4" at 25 and 2ish at 10 yards. Most of my lead bullets out of a service pistol can't do better than 2" out 10 yards. Most shooters can't hold 2" at 10 yards standing, but that's a different issue.

ETA. The new Sig Xten is proving to be a real gem. It's the same size the G20 despite having a full 5" barrel. The trigger is good, better than a Glock, but nothing like an APEX trigger which is an option in the SW2.0. I do wish the Xten had a safety (and in hind sight would have gotten one with the 2.0 10mm smith). Both the SW and Xten have the striker at full cock, unlike a Glock.

I'll look up your post.

Mine is the full size, 4.6" or whatever. Maybe I'll try to add weight to the slide, if it's just a bolt on plate.

The biggest thing is FTFs out of the gate with bullet shapes that should not be complicated to feed--I cannot get my Glocks to FTF shooting them one handed, limp wristed, upside down, sideways--whatever. And I've never had accuracy issues in thousands of rounds of 200 hardcast from G20's/G40's and hundreds of 200gr 40 SW hardcast from several G22's. 3-4" at 50 if I'm doing my job.

That said I've owned a ton of Glocks as the local police supply place sells trade-ins for around half the price of new ones; if I get one that doesn't shoot I get rid of it and get another one.

This M&P is definitely as accurate as my Glocks... just not with the bullets I like to use.

How many rounds have you put through the Sig Xten? Is the grip smaller than a G20?

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

186 members (1lessdog, 1lesfox, 12344mag, 219DW, 007FJ, 14 invisible), 1,422 guests, and 883 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,871
Posts18,478,705
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.