-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Firearms safety is firearms safety. Doesn't matter where it is. Sounds like you thought your Hunter's Safety Course was your graduation in firearm's safery. You're still in Kindergarten, bro.

GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Can someone be shot with an unchambered rifle?

I assume you have never taken a spill whilst hunting, do you always have full control? Do you have control of everyone around you?

You ever take a drivers course? Guess you don't need seat belts either. I know damn well you don't need a helmet.......

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
HOW are there so many [bleep] stupid folks on here anymore?

Can anyone acknowledge that they have fallen whilst hunting? Dropped a rifle in a fall? Knocked a safety off?

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'm assuming you agree with Jeff that a safety can't fail?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If you think a chambered firearm is the cause of AD's, you're a beginner. Falling with a firearm is always possible, but an AD with one is rare. Proper handling of your firearm prevents this. See where I'm going with this? This is beginner stuff and you're a beginner.

What did you do in the military? Apparently you weren't around firearms. I suspect they had you running the chow line or sitting behind some desk. Also, how much experience do you REALLY have with firearms? I'm not talking about buying or range trips. I'm talking about training. This stuff is toooo basic to have to explain to someone with any experience.

Also, how do you carry concealed without one in the chamber? Same concept except a lot more dangerous for the inexperienced.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Nope, seen safeties fail. I know better than to rely on them. With proper firearms handling, this is a generally a moot point.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
BTW - To those that aren't comfortable with a round in chamber...nothing wrong with that. Do what you (and possibly your hunting buddies) feel safe with. Safety is what you think, not what others think.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Jeff_Olsen
Calvin, I quoted it for you (and Steelhead, since he's having so much fun with it)... would you care to pick this apart and explain what the problems are? Since I'm insane and you are a genius, and all that. Here it is:

Jeff Olsen says:

"YES I shoot in low light. YES I shoot and hunt in tight quarters. YES I have killed deer that jumped up. NO Butler Ck. scope covers will not keep your lenses dry in a day-long drizzle. YES I get so close to deer that the sound of the safety becomes a concern. What is wierd about any of THAT?

YES I am smart enough to know that first, my rifle and I are perfectly safe with a round chambered, and second, that in the terrain I hunt in, and the quarry I hunt, to have to chamber a round upon seeing a deer would be LUDICROUS. STUPID. IDIOTIC. and it wouldn't work very well as far as killing deer."

Seriously man. Take it apart. I dare ya. You too Steelhead. Let's go!

-jeff

let it go man.... in a few years folks might start to take you seriously around here again.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JoeK

Here's a tip...if you don't feel safe with one in the chamber, chances are you're not. Don't do it then.

+1

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Oh yeah...

I like BC scope caps. Got 'em on all mine. Don't care much about the way the rear one hits my cap though.

Black Cows Matter!
IC B3

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
"Dude, having one in the chamber whilst hunting is just an odd thing for me to do anymore. It has been many a year since I hunted with one in the chamber, sans a ML or shotgun for turkey hunting."

Curious as to why it is unsafe to hunt with one in the chamber in a rifle, but is OK to do so when hunting turkey with a shotgun?
Why is a shotgun with one in the chamber not prone to ADs, but a hot rifle is?
Can someone explain this??

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I ain't Steelhead, but I think I have a grasp on this one... I'm pretty sure a guy stays glued when hunting turkeys. It's hard to trip over a log, flip over backwards, and have a AD when your sitting down.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
So is it safe to say, that when "sitting down", or "staying glued" when hunting big game with a rifle, then it is OK to have a round in the chamber?

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
You might want to read all the posts.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I have. Steelhead said more than once that when hunting, he does not keep one in the chamber. He mentions that if some guy sitting in a blind chooses to do so-well that is allright by him-nonetheless he said that HE does not hunt with one in the chamber-so the question I guess is directed at him. Why is it that when HE hunts, does he find it necessary to hunt without a hot one, unless he is turkey hunting? Why does he make an exception to his policy of empty chambers when turkey hunting?

D
DJR Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D

Trying to figure out how to work this empty chamber thing into my Chukar and Pheasant routine. Hmmmm. Got to be a way.

Like BC caps but am currently using the Alumina RainCotes on my L.

DJR

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Guess bow hunters is [bleep].........grin

Just curious--do you think bowhunters should also go with the keep it out of the chamber rule? Should they keep them arrows in the quiver until they are ready to shoot, or is it OK and safe for them to "keep a round in the chamber"

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Calvin
Originally Posted by Jeff_Olsen
Calvin, I quoted it for you (and Steelhead, since he's having so much fun with it)... would you care to pick this apart and explain what the problems are? Since I'm insane and you are a genius, and all that. Here it is:

Jeff Olsen says:

"YES I shoot in low light. YES I shoot and hunt in tight quarters. YES I have killed deer that jumped up. NO Butler Ck. scope covers will not keep your lenses dry in a day-long drizzle. YES I get so close to deer that the sound of the safety becomes a concern. What is wierd about any of THAT?

YES I am smart enough to know that first, my rifle and I are perfectly safe with a round chambered, and second, that in the terrain I hunt in, and the quarry I hunt, to have to chamber a round upon seeing a deer would be LUDICROUS. STUPID. IDIOTIC. and it wouldn't work very well as far as killing deer."

Seriously man. Take it apart. I dare ya. You too Steelhead. Let's go!

-jeff

let it go man.... in a few years folks might start to take you seriously around here again.

Bwa ha friggin' HA.

The audience will note that Mr. Calvin completely dodged the question. Why? Because obviously, hunting in low light, hunting in tight quarters, killing deer that jump up, and getting close enough to deer that even the metallic click of the safety is a concern (I do hunt with the safety on) are all perfectly normal things to do.

Oh, and my Butler Ck. scope covers do let water on the lenses after a long day in the rain.

I was 100% right and he was 100% wrong and the best he can do is another insult.

Here's another one I bet he'll dodge. The rifle that had those guys panties in a bunch, when I mentioned carrying it HOT while elk hunting and even falling a couple times, is a Browning BLR. I carried it at half-cock with the folding hammer folded forwards. I can explain that to anyone who has never messed with one, but suffice it to say that it renders the rifle mechanically unable to fire, period.

Would Steelhead or Calvin care to explain how a Browning BLR carried in such a manner could possibly go off accidentally?

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Are you a chick?

U
U
Originally Posted by corporal cleg
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Guess bow hunters is [bleep].........grin

Just curious--do you think bowhunters should also go with the keep it out of the chamber rule? Should they keep them arrows in the quiver until they are ready to shoot, or is it OK and safe for them to "keep a round in the chamber"

One of the dumber things I have seen posted......

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (222Sako, 257wthbylover, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 264mag, 64 invisible), 1,730 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,117
Posts18,522,844
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.