Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Probably had three hundred pounds come in to the store this morning. All within ten bucks of "normal" price. So once again, no idea where the shortages and high prices are.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
John.

Yep. We have the same sort over here. They always have money for a carton of beer and a packet of cigarettes but not enough to lay in a small supply of components.

It's lucky we have the ADI powders as we'd be pretty stuffed without them. Reloader powders - none for two years minimum. Winchester powders are no longer brought in by the importer. Vithavuori are no longer. Factory ammo is still readily available but only in the most common chamberings, not some off the odd stuff that I like.

Last edited by Elvis; 12/21/22.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Elvis
John.

Yep. We have the same sort over here. They always have money for a carton of beer and a packet of ciggies but not enough to lay in a small supply of components.

It's lucky we have the ADI powders as we'd be pretty stuffed without them. Reloader powders - none for two years minimum. Winchester powders are no longer brought in by the importer. Vithavuori are no longer. Factory ammo is still readily available but only in the most common chamberings, not some off the odd stuff that I like.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't have 100,000 primers stashed, but, before things got stupid, bought enough to last me a looong time. Powder also. Bullets also. Some handloaders just don't get it.
Snooze, you lose!

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Joe
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I was told by a major U.S. primer manufacturer several months ago that a much larger percentage of their primer production is going into military ammo these days. Can't imagine that the percentage has dropped since then....

The same thing is no doubt happening with powder, especially in Europe.

Here's my question, Since the military's principal use is for small primers and only use large primers in 7.62 for the snipers, why are small primers available and large unobtainable? Something stinks!

Do you have any idea how fast an M-134 burns through 7.62 ammo?

Mathew 22: 37-39

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Still, after two or three more primer "shortages," there are still handoaders caught short, including many who still believe they can just go down to the local sporting goods store and buy a couple hundred any time they need 'em.....

John

IMO,
John sings the truth yet again. I will never forget asking my uncle why he did not buy primers a 1K at a time(circa 1994). As a result, I was looked at like I was growing a second head. I was the first in my family to order 5K primers at a time, in everything I loaded and have kept them cool and dry. I just NEVER really thought I would be shooting as many CCI 450's as I am... The number I have on hand is depressing.

That said I have PLENTY of H4350, H1000, etc. available for trade.

Regards, Matt.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
powder has been coming back into stock on a regular basis lately, and I noticed a trend that followed ammo coming back into stock.

first ammo to be regular shelf items were 9mm, 308, 556/223 and 12 gauge. Makes sense, it was the highest demand during the craziness, also, at least for 556/9mm/12ga the most popular and commonly used rounds by the general public. As those came back into stock that limits were abandoned ... then came the powders must commonly used for them. Primers as well. As we got closer to hunting seasons we started seeing again, common stuff starting to stockpile, 30-06, 308, 270, 30-30, 243, etc. Once that started to become something you could generally just go and buy ... mid range rifle powders started coming back into stock and it seemed every few weeks the powders got slower. Guess what's not made of unobtanium anymore? 300 win mag, 7 rem mag, etc. Even starting to see more of the newer wündermags like the PRC and Nosler line getting delivered. So my guess is the very slow stuff will be next. And then large rifle primers.

As to Alliant stuff, good luck, it's gonna be a while. Federal is keeping that in house for the time being and they'll gladly tell you we (and Vista Outdoors, who owns Alliant, Federal, CCI, Speer etc) are an ammo company, NOT a component company, IF we have excess we will share

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think you nailed it. I’ve noticed the same thing, though I’m too lazy to write it up nicely as you did.

JB’s right again as usual about peoples’ buying habits and how they end up running short as a result. If they had put as much effort into securing a good supply of needful things before the crunch hit as they do now creating fanciful conspiracy theories, they’d be all set.

I also like the comment made about margins on stuff remaining the same, but based on higher dealer costs. That ain’t scalping, it’s how to stay in business. Gotta allow for the greatly increased labor and in some places energy costs too. A business can’t just eat those costs to make people happy.

What fresh Hell is this?
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I expect many got caught short on reloading components as they never thought Trump could lose the election.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Years ago, when he had a bit of a functioning brain, our current dimwit-in-chief made a comment that we don't have to make guns illegal.We just have to make them impossible to shoot

Home Of The Mollies
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SAM50
Years ago, when he had a bit of a functioning brain, our current dimwit-in-chief made a comment that we don't have to make guns illegal.We just have to make them impossible to shoot

….demonstrating yet again his total ignorance on the topic. Probably didn’t have a clue about handloading, or about how much ammo and components exist in the secret stashes of boomer-prepper-hoaders.

Then there’s the smuggling option, as well as the black market that would spring up with ammo stolen from the military, police, and security outfits.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I've got these for anyone within driving distance.....bring your billfold.....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I guess I wasn’t asking about shortages and availability due to politics, hoarding and unforeseen demand.

I was asking if Norma powders have a designated importer.

Accurate was that guy, when Hodgdon took control of Accurate, the import agreement/contract did not transfer.

As such, I am asking if Norma powder are no longer imported into the United States regardless of the usual shortages?

Last edited by steve4102; 12/27/22.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I’d like to know if Norma powders will be distributed again, also. MRP is the only Norma powder I use and I have enough to get by but don’t want to use my supply to develop new loads if it’s not going to be available anytime soon. Same scenario with RL26.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Pappy348
….demonstrating yet again his total ignorance on the topic. Probably didn’t have a clue about handloading, or about how much ammo and components exist in the secret stashes of boomer-prepper-hoaders.

Then there’s the smuggling option, as well as the black market that would spring up with ammo stolen from the military, police, and security outfits.

“boomer-prepper-hoarder” I like that description! I’m gonna use it.

The Mexican drug cartels are salivating at the possibilities of manufacturing and smuggling firearms into the US. Just think, no more restrictions on full autos and 100 round mags……

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
This hoarding that we consider normal is turning normal people off. Not everyone has the room, the means, or desire to stuff 20-30 thousand primers, 200-300 lbs of powder, tens of thousands of pieces of brass, and tens of thousands of projectiles into every nook and cranny in the house. I am looking in the mirror hard here.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
It probably isn’t kaputt, but was redirected.

I got this back from a supplier.

Équipe support / Support team (X-Reload)
Jan 4, 2023, 07:56 CST

Stephen, presently it is not available from our supplier.

regards

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by WAM
I’d like to know if Norma powders will be distributed again, also. MRP is the only Norma powder I use and I have enough to get by but don’t want to use my supply to develop new loads if it’s not going to be available anytime soon. Same scenario with RL26.

Rl 22 is your Huckleberry
Whatever MRP will do, Rl22 will do.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by SAM50

I've touched on this for years, most have told me I'm way out there but I'm not. lead makes the world of the 22 shooter go around. Instead of initially attacking lead projectiles they attacked lead shot that was being injested by waterfowl in some very high used areas. Just a few areas mind you which was followed by a national lead ban for waterfowl followed by a nation wide lead ban on federal property. California bans lead for everything and uses condor mortality as an excuse. They have taught this total toxicity issue for years in our schools of higher education and it's bullsh*t but it's their agenda..lead shot is now 65-80 a bag because lead is no longer smelted in the USA. Mined lead goes to Mexico and comes back for batteries and expensive shot. You wonder why you can't afford to hit the trap ,skeet or sc range everyweek? Well duh. Cast bullets commercially produced cost damn near as much as jacketed bullets. Anybody yet see an affordable substitute for lead 22 rimfire projectiles? Your state and federal agencies will just mandate non toxic shotshell loads for those who enjoy small game hunting with a 22. It hasn't anything to do with toxicity from day f*cking one. It has to do with the left's attemp to eliminate sport shooting by making it to expensive for ordinary people. When you can't afford to shoot anymore the next thing will be why do you need to own a gun? It's time for people to think about what is being done to limit their freedom especially those who think and vote Democrat because they are the ones trying to bend you over and subjugate your freedom. That is the damned truth...mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by LeeC
Originally Posted by WAM

Rl 22 is your Huckleberry
Whatever MRP will do, Rl22 will do.
I hear this a lot, yet I have never experienced anything to support it.

My CZ Model 3 shoots great groups with MRP and 165 Partitions.

This rifle shoots below average with R22 no mater what adjustments are made.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (17CalFan, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 1936M71, 58 invisible), 2,194 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,056
Posts18,482,343
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.