Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 22 of 26 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 25 26
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
For the past 5 seasons we have used 223, 22-250, and 22 creedmoor pretty much exclusively. Looking back, I’m not sure if I can tell much difference in performance between the 3 cartridges. The 223 has become my favorite cartridge. We have used the Nosler 64gr bonded, 55gr and 75gr gold dot, 77gr TMK, 77gr SMK, 75gr ELDM, Hornady 55gr Sp, 70gr Accubond, and 60gr partition. Deer and hog were hunted, and shot from as close as 15 feet all the way out to 300 yards. All of the bullets listed have worked great. The 77gr TMK in the 223 is just absolutely amazing.

"The world breaks everyone,and afterward, some are strong at the broken places"
Hemingway
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It’s been said I am sure of it but every year… two general camps. Those who shoot deer with 223s, provide evidence, and are completely happy with results. And those who don’t shoot deer, tell you it will be the worst decision of your life if you do, and have no evidence to the contrary in regards to the first group’s success.

I hunt multi state and at home every year deer and a 223. Last two from last year home, one shot with 7mm-08, one with 223. 223 did more damage but 7mm-08 did something unseen before.

Last edited by smallfry; 12/21/22.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by jac3k
For the past 5 seasons we have used 223, 22-250, and 22 creedmoor pretty much exclusively. Looking back, I’m not sure if I can tell much difference in performance between the 3 cartridges. The 223 has become my favorite cartridge. We have used the Nosler 64gr bonded, 55gr and 75gr gold dot, 77gr TMK, 77gr SMK, 75gr ELDM, Hornady 55gr Sp, 70gr Accubond, and 60gr partition. Deer and hog were hunted, and shot from as close as 15 feet all the way out to 300 yards. All of the bullets listed have worked great. The 77gr TMK in the 223 is just absolutely amazing.

Can you give me some details on your 75 ELDM experience?

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Sure. I haven’t capped anything with that bullet that was any further than about 100 yards. They have always exited, even from muzzle velocities of 3300fps, and busting shoulders. Exits have consistently been the size of a nickel, usually not much blood on the ground. Then again, I’ve never really had to track anything I’ve hit with one.

Hemingway
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rickt300
You bet in fact some will say there is no better 400 yard Mule deer rifle in existance.

LMAO. Obviously that statement was made by a person that hasn’t shot many mule deer.

All the best things in life, live on the other side off fear.

The true eye sees not the despair of its victims, only the elegance of equilibrium. It's a demonstration of superior judgment.
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by SMACK
You bet in fact some will say there is no better 400 yard Mule deer rifle in existance.

LMAO. Obviously that statement was made by a person that hasn’t shot many mule deer.

Or maybe, just maybe, that statement was made by a person who has shot truckloads of mule deer.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

Or maybe, just maybe, that statement was made by a person who has shot truckloads of mule deer.

P

Can't believe "there is no better" 400-yd rifle for mule deer than one giving you a 55gr-70gr bullet moving at less than 1,950 fps at 400 yds.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Regardless of what others say or their success stories It's an adamant no from me. I have IMO much better suited rifles/calibers to use for deer and other big game.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

P

Well I have shot at least a couple truckloads of mule deer but I was being sarcastic in that old post. A case could be made that a 223 would make a better open country deer rifle than a thick cover deer rifle because if the deer traveled a bit it wouldn't be that hard to find. Still I would limit my shots to around 200 yards and ideal conditions. I have yet to try the "magic" bullets like the Tipped matchking, maybe someday. I am in the camp of people who think there are actually better all around deer cartridges than the 223 and I have used the round a lot.

Last edited by rickt300; 12/22/22.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by MarineHawk

P

Can't believe "there is no better" 400-yd rifle for mule deer than one giving you a 55gr-70gr bullet moving at less than 1,950 fps at 400 yds.

At 400 yards my 75 gr ELDM is going north of 2,400 fps.

Poke that through the lungs, I’ll bet the deer doesn’t go far.

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Re-reading this made me remember a whitetail buck I shot with the 22 creedmoor a few years ago, loaded with the 75gr ELDM at 425yds. He was walking across across a cut out in a valley. I know, it was irresponsible of me to shoot at unwounded game in motion at that range with a .22. Luckily I hit him in the bread basket. When he dropped, he rolled over twice, away from me, for whatever reason. Obviously, he wasn’t “knocked down”, maybe just a reaction to vital organs being smashed. We may never know. That made it appear that he was bowled over, it was very satisfying.
According to the Ballistic AE app, the impact velocity was approximately 2800fps. Pin hole entrance, nickel exit, everything in between smashed beyond repair. That is about 150fps faster at impact than a 16” barrel 223 with the same bullet at the muzzle.

Hemingway
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
At 400 yards my 75 gr ELDM is going north of 2,400 fps.

Poke that through the lungs, I’ll bet the deer doesn’t go far.

P

Ballstic calculator says that means you must be launching it at above 3,200 fps MV. That's way faster than any ammo mfr claims. How do you do that? Even if you do do that, why not just use a bigger cartridge that does something like that in more-normal circumstances without the magic that you apparently have?

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F

Of those bullets have any given consistent exits at ranges up to 100 yards? I’ve used 64 BSB and 77TMK (great performance) and gotten no exits at around 50 yards. Deer sure didn’t go far so it didn’t really matter. Wasnt to try the 75gr Gold Dot but it’s unobtanium. Have some 62grTTSX but have some concern about longer follow ups.

For the nay sayers, have had no exits with 140gr Pro Hunters from 7-08 and 140 gr BT from 7mag as well.

Thanks.

Frank

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
A 30 06 puts a big hole in them. Delivers a lot of shock from all the combined energy dump of bullet mass X velocity squared - energy from powder burn. Speed does kill! Faster than adding mass. That's the velocity SQUARED part. But velocity drops off fast, therefore the retained energy of a big fat, high arcing slug will retain energy longer than a 55 grain pill. There's a video of blue wildebeast dropped at 350 yards by a 223. Brain shot on a calm day? Never killed too many deer. My observations are inconclusive. Quick offhand shots on moving deer is risky. It's good to practice on small game and targets because you will be tempted. My 223 experience is definitely on the negative spectrum due ( I think ) to inadequate energy transfer, ie low velocity, too little powder. Accuracy. Placement. Energy. Magic bullet if you have one. In that order, it seems.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ghostman
Regardless of what others say or their success stories It's an adamant no from me.

I can appreciate that position. Everyone should be comfortable with what they are using. 20 years ago, it would have been an adamant no from me too.

W
WMR Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Crash_Pad
A 30 06 puts a big hole in them. Delivers a lot of shock from all the combined energy dump of bullet mass X velocity squared - energy from powder burn. Speed does kill! Faster than adding mass. That's the velocity SQUARED part. But velocity drops off fast, therefore the retained energy of a big fat, high arcing slug will retain energy longer than a 55 grain pill. There's a video of blue wildebeast dropped at 350 yards by a 223. Brain shot on a calm day? Never killed too many deer. My observations are inconclusive. Quick offhand shots on moving deer is risky. It's good to practice on small game and targets because you will be tempted. My 223 experience is definitely on the negative spectrum due ( I think ) to inadequate energy transfer, ie low velocity, too little powder. Accuracy. Placement. Energy. Magic bullet if you have one. In that order, it seems.

😳

W
WMR Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Having never shot a deer with a 223, I’ll defer to the many who have. It appears that they do just fine. I’ve sometimes thought that my AR with the collapsible stock would be a good deer rifle for a person of small stature.

FWIW, I’ve shot bunches of them with rounds from 250 Savage to 35 Whelen, and some with large bore muzzle loaders. I haven’t seen much difference in how quick they act dead. I guess that some future medical issue might require a very light recoiling cartridge. Other than that, I see no reason I’d choose a 223. For others? Well, it is your fun. Rock on.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
I use the 77 grain Sierra TMKs in the ARs and bolts. Once you see the damage they do you’ll never wonder if they’ll kill a scrawny deer again.

All the comments, but this right here should have ended this thread. Again.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by fshaw

Of those bullets have any given consistent exits at ranges up to 100 yards? I’ve used 64 BSB and 77TMK (great performance) and gotten no exits at around 50 yards. Deer sure didn’t go far so it didn’t really matter. Wasnt to try the 75gr Gold Dot but it’s unobtanium. Have some 62grTTSX but have some concern about longer follow ups.

For the nay sayers, have had no exits with 140gr Pro Hunters from 7-08 and 140 gr BT from 7mag as well.

Thanks.

Frank

The only .224 bullets I haven’t caught yet are the 62gr TBBC and the 75gr Gold Dot.

Last edited by LBP; 12/23/22.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BigNate
Originally Posted by beretzs
I use the 77 grain Sierra TMKs in the ARs and bolts. Once you see the damage they do you’ll never wonder if they’ll kill a scrawny deer again.

All the comments, but this right here should have ended this thread. Again.

Apparently, this thread shall be endless!

Page 22 of 26 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (10ring1, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 1minute, 12344mag, 66 invisible), 3,029 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,482
Posts18,490,236
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.