Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 20 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 19 20
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Living in Colorado, Western Knives was to knives what Redfield was to rifle scopes. As soon as I came of big game hunting age I saved my pennies and bought a Western Skinner. Which of course is a mistake for taking apart a critter or deboning. I struggled with that for years until I bought a more reasonable Western.

In the late 80's I received a Bucklite folder as part of a tip. The handle was blaze orange. I didn't think much of it and tossed it into my box of knives. The following year my daypack was getting heavy and I dumped everything out and began to evaluate weight of items I deemed essential. I decided to try the Bucklite. A few days later I killed a bull in 15+ inches of powder snow from the day before. The dang bull died in a snowdrift that has to be two feet deep. I accidently dropped that blaze orange knife in the snow and it went right to the ground in the powder. Right then I realized the advantage of a bright handle.

In the late 90's I received as a tip from a Gulf War I vet a brand new Bucklite in a plain white box except for serial/model numbers that had been issued to troops by Buck leaving for the Middle East. Supposedly it has an exclusive camo on the handle, and I have never seen that camo style on a Buck since.

Not only are the Bucklites exceedingly light but I can sharpen it well and it holds an edge for me. I like that it's a folder and takes less room. I now own five Bucklites from the late 80's to the mid 90's, and have been using them for ~35 years. I have three custom fixed blades knives that I paid good money for, but just can't justify the extra weight.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
GB1

P
PWN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Mora I found in an old logging road in southern Oklahoma over 15 years ago. A lab I owned chewed the original sheath so I found this one at a garage sale a few years later. I is ugly but works well and takes a razor edge easily. I used it this morning to gut a late season doe.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by PWN; 12/23/22.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dude270
Originally Posted by SKane
Charlie May Trace

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Nice knife. The deer is ok too I guess.

Congrats on a toad!

+1.

That things huge looking (mass and body size )

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
An Old Timer I got for Xmas. It was from my sister and one of her husband's.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Living in Colorado, Western Knives was to knives what Redfield was to rifle scopes. As soon as I came of big game hunting age I saved my pennies and bought a Western Skinner. Which of course is a mistake for taking apart a critter or deboning. I struggled with that for years until I bought a more reasonable Western.

My first sheath knife as a kid in the late 60's/early 70's was a Western with 4-ish" blade.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Various Buck, Cold Steel SRK, KA BAR, etc., all favorite. All in rotation.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

My first sheath knife as a kid in the late 60's/early 70's was a Western with 4-ish" blade.

Me too, about the same time frame. I used it to cut the strings when feeding square baled alfalfa to the milk cows, hauled 15-20 bales twice a day to the racks up on the hill. One day I got back to the house and it wasn't in the sheath. Spent hours up there looking for it, never found it. It's a wonder one of the cows or a tractor tire didn't find it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
OP asked for my favorite - I’ll offer my current but only has a few seasons under its belt. I changed knives when I started hunting VT thinking it would bring me luck - which I was desperately in need of…it’s a Robert Sutton. Nothing fancy really just a solid working tool with a plain handle.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Beautiful knife collections fellas!

Pints

Last edited by PintsofCraft; 12/23/22.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wind up with the sharp finger I got for my B.D. in 1974 . have a small duffel bag of blades 35/40 of store bought with 4 to 6 I made and 5 or so old hickory blades from my MIL that was a meat cutter for 40 + years . but the old sharp finger gets used every year

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Depending on my mood:

Spyderco Bill Moran FB02 drop point hunter, 3.8" VG-10 fixed blade.

Cold Steel Master Hunter with 4.5" Carbon V blade.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Brad
I used an Opinel no.8 on last years elk. I've also used the Gerber LST, and a CRKT Wrangler, both with little 2" blades. It really doesn't take much to break down an elk, but I prefer a fixed blade with 3-4" blade like the DH Russell Canadian Belt Knife.

Brad that’s a great pic! Always been curious about Opinel knives but never pulled the trigger

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
Brad that’s a great pic! Always been curious about Opinel knives but never pulled the trigger

Pints, thanks!

The Opinel no.6 is my favorite, and what accompanies me on summer backpacks when I'm going to fish. It can easily handle elk too - the no.8 just has a slightly bigger handle so I took it along the day I took that bull.

Your Sutton is a nice copy of the DH Russell Canadian Belt Knife!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
[quote=Brad]I used an Opinel no.8 on last years elk. . .

Opinels are good knives for a low cost tool
I've got a few different sizes, and prefer the 8's or 10's

I can attest that even though they're wooden
handled, they do not float if accidentally dropped
when fishing

J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Gutted and skinned 3 deer this year with an Opinel #6. Broke down a total of 7 deer and helped with a moose with a Mora Companion. No fuss.

And Ranger99 is correct, Opinel don’t float

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Ralphie
A bright orange havalon. I’m sold on the replaceable blade knives.
I'm sold on the replaceable blade knives too, mine is a Gerber Big Game.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Back when CRKT was new to the market I found a semi soft plastic handled skinner with a nice deep belly for under $25.
I have several “nicer” knives but to this day that knife is always in my pack. Takes a nice edge that lasts well.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Whatever is readily available. No matter what I use, it’s going to be sharp.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by buttstock
Depending on my mood:

Spyderco Bill Moran FB02 drop point hunter, 3.8" VG-10 fixed blade.

The Cold Steel is as close to my favorite that I have been able to find.

Pachmayr sheath knife was my favorite. We used to buy em for about $20 then they went to $50 or so and then they quit making them.

Stainless, sharpened pretty easy and stayed sharp for the gutting, skinning and deboning of 3-4 deer. This included sternum splitting.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by buttstock

I have lots of customs: Doziers, Crotts, Randall and the like.
But my CS Master Hunter can be honed so sharp it scares me. Amazing blade.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Cold steel is the real deal. I took an srk and changed the bevel to 20 deg., and that is a great knife. I like how you can touch them up so fast and they have edge retention like no other. I have a few customs and they do great, but for 40 bucks, that srk is awesome. I may order the San Mai version to see what it's all about.

Page 6 of 20 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 19 20

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

501 members (1minute, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 219DW, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 66 invisible), 2,459 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,691
Posts18,513,604
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.