Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
High country: All four of my VarmintChildren are adults (youngest 32) and I am certain the VarmintWife spent at least $2,000.00 on the lot of them!
I spent about $100.00 on the four myself and some more on the two VarmintGrandChildren.
And yes I wish the VarmintWife would tone it down a bit!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by high_country_
I have 5 kids and we make a decent living. My kids have come to expect a bit much in terms of tangibles from Santa.

This year we all drew names and that person was the only person you were getting a gift for. The average $ spent was about 25bux each.

We actually had a better time than any other year. There was no complaining and lots of laughter.

One of my kids (13) needed money to buy her brother something. She didn't want to babysit the youngest (7) for a couple of hours....so my wife called the neighbor kid and gave the neighbor the 10bux she asked for plus a $50 tip.....my kids jaw hit the floor. She ended up hustling about 12 bux in the hood shoveling snow and made the rest of the gifts by hand.....fantastic life lesson.

I drew my oldest daughter (16 in a week) and she just wanted money. I gave her a gift certificate for a weekend with me anywhere she wants to go....not a thing that she doesn't need....instead, something she does.

I'm liking this....and I saved a few grand to boot.

Lol. You're like a mad scientist.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Astonishing.. Congratulations.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Quit giving gifts quite few years ago. My wife and I usually buy what we need (not want) as it comes along. Sometimes it don't get bought if other expenses have to come first. We quit sending gifts to the kids and grandkids. Money sent with cards was never acknowledged, let alone special gifts.

We might hear from them twice year, but one we have not heard from for 2+ years and didn't even get an invite to her wedding.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Quit giving gifts quite few years ago. My wife and I usually buy what we need (not want) as it comes along. Sometimes it don't get bought if other expenses have to come first. We quit sending gifts to the kids and grandkids. Money sent with cards was never acknowledged, let alone special gifts.

We might hear from them twice year, but one we have not heard from for 2+ years and didn't even get an invite to her wedding.
Only hear from your kids twice a year?

Sheesh

What’d they do, finally escape chains and stocks in your basement?

That’s strange

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KFWA
my son is at a point where he needs to start gearing up to be on his own

his gifts from me this year were tools - breaker bar, jack , deep well socket set and folding shovel to keep in the trunk of his car. A starter tool box to keep in the garage.

the daughter got the jack and breaker bar when she went off to college , this year she got an air pump where you put in the pressure number you want and it pumps the tire up to that.

last year she had a flat tire on the way home. She was about 4 hours away. A state trooper stopped to help her. He opened the trunk and saw a floor jack, a breaker bar with the 17mm socket on it and a full size spare in the trunk. He changed the tire for her. I had her do it at home but in the heat of the moment, on the side of the interstate, I'm glad she didn't have to try.

I got the state troopers name and wrote a thank you note to him.

Anyways we are probably guilty of buying too many gifts at Xmas, but the gifts we get now are gifts that get them started on life.

My daughter is big on painting, every Xmas she paints me a country scene - a barn, a field, etc. This year she painted my 8N in front of a smoker barn in a field covered in snow. She has talent.
Pics of the painting please 👍🏻

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My kid’s aunt and uncle on their mom’s side have done well and they spread it around. My son gave them ideas for Xmas, which included 3-4 different shoes. I guess he got them all. My gift to him was a ticket to the B10 championship, $138 and he loved it. Potential once in a lifetime thing.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My two daughters are grown and gone! Each has 2 children a piece. I put $1000 in a college savings account for each of the grandkids each birthday and Christmas. Figure that's the best gift they could ever get (if our educational system ever gets back to actually teaching life skills that is)...

Hopefully they will try going into a skilled trade such as electrical, plumbing or something higher such as a Dr, dentist or veterinarian!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
A
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
A
My three children learned at a early age about being responsible about gifts and what they cost. Now with all three grown and having grandkids learning same lessons, I am truly proud of the hardworking responsible adults they have grown into.All of them realize its not the cost but the thought and to be responsible stewards of their money.

1st John 4:7-8
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 17CalFan, 54 invisible), 2,409 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,647
Posts18,474,581
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.