Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Trystan
I've lost 2 deer in previous years hunting with my 45/70 useing a 405 grain speer. Those two deer are the only game animals I have ever lost.
Trystan
What’s the point of this? I am very familiar with the 45-70, the Speer 400 gr SP, and deer. I doubt the 45-70 or the Speer 400 gr SP. had anything to do with you loosing the deer. Explain.

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by smallfry
I've lost 2 deer in previous years hunting with my 45/70 useing a 405 grain speer. Those two deer are the only game animals I have ever lost.
Trystan
What’s the point of this? I am very familiar with the 45-70, the Speer 400 gr SP, and deer. I doubt the 45-70 or the Speer 400 gr SP. had anything to do with you loosing the deer. Explain.

It has a lot to do with losing a deer on a lung shot! The bullet is traveling slow and while it may break bones very well it doesn't do jack [bleep] to the lungs! I made numerous perfect lung shots with extremely long death runs and very little damage to lung tissue. One deer in particular I shot broadside at 50 yrs. It dropped its head and went back to eating grass. After my next shot in the head to finish it I observed apon inspection that I had once again made a perfect lung shot with almost zero bloodshot in the lungs!

The 223 on the other hand with a 55 TTSX leaving the muzzle at 3300 fps instead of 1200 completely mushes the lungs! If you've never observed such a thing I doubt you have much experience with terminal performance

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It has a lot to do with losing a deer on a lung shot! The bullet is traveling slow and while it may break bones very well it doesn't do jack [bleep] to the lungs!

Trystan

Utter BS. No deer will survive or go far with a .45 hole in the lung and if you hit a deer in the lungs with a 45-70 that is the minimum size hole you would have and that bullet will not stay in the deer so you will have a hole on both sides. If you lost the deer then you DID NOT get the lungs or you don't know how to follow up a blood trail.

And before you try to tell me I don't know what the hell I am talking about I tagged my 100th deer this season, have taken 25 elk, 18 pronghorn, 3 black bear, 2 bighorn sheep, 4 bison, 1 mountain goat, at least 100 hogs and 42 species in Africa.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by MAC
It has a lot to do with losing a deer on a lung shot! The bullet is traveling slow and while it may break bones very well it doesn't do jack [bleep] to the lungs!

Trystan

Utter BS. No deer will survive or go far with a .45 hole in the lung and if you hit a deer in the lungs with a 45-70 that is the minimum size hole you would have and that bullet will not stay in the deer so you will have a hole on both sides. If you lost the deer then you DID NOT get the lungs or you don't know how to follow up a blood trail.

And before you try to tell me I don't know what the hell I am talking about I tagged my 100th deer this season, have taken 25 elk, 18 pronghorn, 3 black bear, 2 bighorn sheep, 4 bison, 1 mountain goat, at least 100 hogs and 42 species in Africa.

You don't know what you don't know sir

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by MAC

Trystan

You dam sure don't. I've seen lungs demolished from revolvers shooting flat point hard cast

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by MAC

Trystan

You dam sure don't. I've seen lungs demolished from revolvers shooting flat point hard cast

Uh huh, especially at low velocity! Low velocity is amazing for lung destruction. I'm impressed

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by MAC

Trystan

Uh huh, especially at low velocity! Low velocity is amazing for lung destruction. I'm impressed

You're full of BS is what you are

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MAC

Trystan

I know that you don't know what the hell you are talking about. I have shot deer with a 45-70. I have also shot deer with a 450 Marlin. I have gutted those same deer and have seen what those 45 caliber rounds did to the lungs. You're either a fool or a liar. Perhaps both.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
You sir, are a damn liar

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Big gun big boom boom

Lauphing

This is some funny [bleep]! If you new how to hunt you could easily get it done without a cannon and that is a FACT

Trystan

IC B3

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You sir, are a damn liar

Nope. But you are a fool. I will waste no more of my time on a moron like you.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by smallfry
Trystan

It has a lot to do with losing a deer on a lung shot! The bullet is traveling slow and while it may break bones very well it doesn't do jack [bleep] to the lungs! I made numerous perfect lung shots with extremely long death runs and very little damage to lung tissue. One deer in particular I shot broadside at 50 yrs. It dropped its head and went back to eating grass. After my next shot in the head to finish it I observed apon inspection that I had once again made a perfect lung shot with almost zero bloodshot in the lungs!

The 223 on the other hand with a 55 TTSX leaving the muzzle at 3300 fps instead of 1200 completely mushes the lungs! If you've never observed such a thing I doubt you have much experience with terminal performance

Trystan
You lost two deer because you failed to adequately place your shot(s).
You lost two deer because you were not effective in tracking them.
Whatever it was.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
As with anything, it is all about shot placement.

Compared to African animals, deer are easy to kill.

I would suggest you shoot small bores on deer as most likely you put a bad shot on those two deer. Undoubtedly due to flinching from the heavy recoil of the big bore you used.

e.g.
Big bore: .500 nitro @ 40y.

Dropped dead on the spot. (That is the exit hole. He was turned for pics. <- for the haters)

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Smaller bore: 3-7-5 H&H @ 70 y.

Travelled 75 y.

75# bow, 928 gr arrow @ 30 y.

Travelled 40 y.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]e.

Last edited by Tony_Soprano; 12/15/22.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Tony_Soprano

I would suggest you shoot small bores on deer as most likely you put a bad shot on those two deer. Undoubtedly due to flinching from the heavy recoil of the big bore you used.

e.g.

Dropped dead on the spot. (That is the exit hole. He was turned for pics. <- for the haters)

Travelled 75 y.

Travelled 40 y.

Agreed, however it is all about bullet construction as well! While one bullet may work great for a cape buffalo or grizzly protection they don't necessarily work for smaller thin skinned game. I routinely shoot 1" groups at 100 yards with open sights with my 45/70! As I stated I did take a good number of deer with a perfect center shot on the lungs and those deer had longer than normal death runs in every instance! Why? Because my bullet of choice sucked! The entire point of my first post was to simply point that out however there seems to be a good many people who believe that 45/70s seem to be a killing machine because they are "45" caliber! Its a joke and Bell proved it!

The fact is for a brain shot the 7mm mauser will out penetrate a 45/70 by a good margin with bullets of equal construction and that is a fact! The 6.5 bullets will penetrate even better. Big bores are not the Holy grail of everything. Bell would read this nonsense and lauph

Trystan

Last edited by Trystan; 12/16/22.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Not much to learn here! Adios

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Alexander Bell? The telephone guy?

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Not much to learn here! Adios

Yep, idiots are incapable of learning.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have to say that this has been a very informative and interesting thread to read for a rifle fan , who will never likely to have a tiny fraction of the knowledge I’ve read here. Thanks

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Tony_Soprano

e.g.

Travelled 75 y.

Travelled 40 y.

Would be interested in where the bull killed with the .375 was hit.

Looks like the .500 Nitro bullet hit the spine--which in tends to result in more sudden results.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
[quote=Trystan

I routinely shoot 1" groups at 100 yards with open sights with my 45/70!
Trystan[/quote]

I for one would appreciate a warning prior to statements like this , so I can put on my hip boots. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (160user, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 22250rem, 12344mag, 22kHornet, 49 invisible), 2,088 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,009
Posts18,481,461
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.